Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you normally calculate your prices?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:27
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Eagle eyes Mar 5, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Tim Drayton wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

If you are working from J to E.

Here, in Japan, this is the only way to fix volume (rates are flexible and are to be decided between you and the customer), and hence get a customer to issue a PO in line with Japanese law.
If prices (rates) are based on number of finished words, Japanese customers cannot issue a PO since the final count fluctuates according to translator and (according to Japanese law) the price in the PO must be fixed, otherwise the PO is null and valid. HTH

Null and valid? That would be null and void, wouldn't it? You are putting is to the test again, I suspect.

Touché

I am impressed with you all! 'Sasuga!'

JanaB
JanaB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:27
English to German
More precise questions please... Mar 5, 2014

How do you normally calculate your prices?......What for? Translation, proofreading, coffee?

I chose "Other", because I seem to have misunderstood the question.

I normally charge per word for translations and per hour for proofreading.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
source words, hours Mar 5, 2014

JanaB wrote:

How do you normally calculate your prices?......What for? Translation, proofreading, coffee?

I chose "Other", because I seem to have misunderstood the question.

I normally charge per word for translations and per hour for proofreading.

What I'm really curious about is that small segment of the survey population who say they charge a "flat rate". I'm trying to picture that in my head, but seem unable to.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Julian + @Tim Mar 5, 2014

The "eagle eyed woman" will be waiting nervously for your moment in the spotlight. I promise I will be even more careful than I normally am...

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have started transitioning... Mar 5, 2014

...towards a flat rate for each project. This eliminates the need to calculate repetitions, matches, fuzzy matches, near matches, possible matches, kitchen matches, etc. and makes the process simpler and more enjoyable rather than hacking a document into pieces.

Surely no one would ever do repetitions for less than 50% of the base rate or matches for less than 80% (or at least they shouldn't be) and of course, if you grant CAT discounts, it's obvious that you have to raise your base
... See more
...towards a flat rate for each project. This eliminates the need to calculate repetitions, matches, fuzzy matches, near matches, possible matches, kitchen matches, etc. and makes the process simpler and more enjoyable rather than hacking a document into pieces.

Surely no one would ever do repetitions for less than 50% of the base rate or matches for less than 80% (or at least they shouldn't be) and of course, if you grant CAT discounts, it's obvious that you have to raise your base rate to make up the difference (after all, you did purchase the CAT tool and you are managing it, so why should the agency get all the advantages). So, many times all you have to do is show them that it's cheaper (and easier) for them not to use CAT discounts:

Example:

20,000 words at the flat rate of $2800 (or .14 a word)

compared to:
NO MATCH 10,000 x .18 = $1800.00
REPETITIONS 5,000 x .09 (50%) = $450.00
FUZZY MATCHES 5,000 x .12 = $600.00

TOTAL = $2,850.00 (savings of $50 and savings of lots of wasted time calculating ways to rip-off the translator)

It's interesting how the vast majority of the poll responses indicate that people charge by the source word and I have only been asked to do this twice in 21 years! Perhaps using the target count is an anomaly with into English work?

[Edited at 2014-03-05 16:12 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glass half full Mar 5, 2014

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

It's interesting how the vast majority of the poll responses indicate that people charge by the source word and I have only been asked to do this twice in 21 years! Perhaps using the target count is an anomaly with into English work?

[Edited at 2014-03-05 16:12 GMT]

Spanish texts tend to be more wordy than English so I charge by the number of source words, e.g. 1000 words in Spanish could turn out to be only 8-9K. This is also why I keep to an average rate and offer no discounts - not quite a flat rate but pretty close.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
All of the above? Mar 5, 2014

It really depends on the project, though we almost always go with per word. We do have a flat per page rate for immigration paperwork or certificates.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Dodgy maths Mar 6, 2014

[quote]Jeff Whittaker wrote:

compared to:
NO MATCH 10,000 x .18 = $1800.00 / x.14 = $1,400
REPETITIONS 5,000 x .09 (50%) = $450.00 / x.7 = $350.
FUZZY MATCHES 5,000 x .12 = $600.00 / x.11 = $550.00

TOTAL = $2,850.00 (savings of $50 and savings of lots of wasted time calculating ways to rip-off the translator) / $2,200.00 (which does actually save the client $600)

This is of course not a reason to stop believing you're doing everyone a favour with your flat rate... What would be interesting to me would be to know how you set that?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not dodgy math... Mar 6, 2014

If they insist on discounts for matches, I would have to raise my per word rate in order to make up the lost revenue. It's basically another way of saying - no discounts.

In the example, the rate is .14 a word, but if you want to chop up the document into pieces and price "categories", then the starting rate increases to .18 in order to keep the average rate at .14.

Why do I have to offer a discount pay scale? Because they say so?

I explain how I set a fl
... See more
If they insist on discounts for matches, I would have to raise my per word rate in order to make up the lost revenue. It's basically another way of saying - no discounts.

In the example, the rate is .14 a word, but if you want to chop up the document into pieces and price "categories", then the starting rate increases to .18 in order to keep the average rate at .14.

Why do I have to offer a discount pay scale? Because they say so?

I explain how I set a flat rate here (but there are no surprises): http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/265489-help_with_negotiating_a_better_deal_with_an_agency-page2.html#2273410

[quote]Victoria Britten wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

compared to:
NO MATCH 10,000 x .18 = $1800.00 / x.14 = $1,400
REPETITIONS 5,000 x .09 (50%) = $450.00 / x.7 = $350.
FUZZY MATCHES 5,000 x .12 = $600.00 / x.11 = $550.00

TOTAL = $2,850.00 (savings of $50 and savings of lots of wasted time calculating ways to rip-off the translator) / $2,200.00 (which does actually save the client $600)

This is of course not a reason to stop believing you're doing everyone a favour with your flat rate... What would be interesting to me would be to know how you set that?

[Edited at 2014-03-06 06:57 GMT]
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
whatever the client wants Mar 7, 2014

One major client consistently sends pdf files. price by target word

Anothe major client uses one CAT tool exclusively. price by target word with leveraging

One client occassionally uses lines for calculation, but it is really a price per target character charge.

Diploma translation is a flat fee.

I am currently working on 2 projects with 2 different pricing methods. Story of my life.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you normally calculate your prices?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »