Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you a member of a professional translation association?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Entry barriers Mar 4, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Socially I'm not interested
Professionally the entry barriers are generally set so low as to make them meaningless

Would you like to share with us what those low entry barriers you speak of?

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
Low entry barriers, true, but that's not all bad Mar 4, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Professionally the entry barriers are generally set so low as to make them meaningless

I wouldn't say that it's enriched my social life, but I think that face-to-face interactions can give you a great sense of who someone is and whether you'd like to work with them if the opportunity arises. And it's nice to commiserate now and then. The freelancer's life can be a lonely one.

It's true that in the case of the ATA, anyone can join. Some of the other organizations mentioned by posters seem to have more restrictions. But I think belonging to a professional group still offers some cachet to clients, because it shows that you care enough to pay the membership dues and be engaged with professional issues.

When I was a beginner, I appreciated that anyone could join, because it was a chance for me to learn. And ATA also offers certification, which is a credential that provides some meaningful distinction. As in any group, you can tell pretty quickly which members are experienced and knowledgeable, who's a newcomer, and who is perhaps not all that competent.

On a related note, at ATA conferences, everyone wears a colored sticker on their nametag to show which language or languages they work with. At the last conference I attended, I saw one woman with about 20 different colors stuck to her nametag and wondered how anyone could possibly translate at a professional level in so many languages. And I think the answer is, in fact, that it's not possible.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just joined one... Mar 4, 2014

It's called that Association of Missouri Interpreters - even though I primarily translate now. It's not a very big group, but it was organized by the state for the parks and zoos in the area. I've been wanting to contact them to offer them my translation services, and this seemed like the best route.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
German to English
+ ...
ATIO (CTTIC) - there's a reason Mar 4, 2014

In Canada, certification is wanted for many kinds of translation. Without certification the translator has to go the extra step of notarizing which means the travel expense and notarizing fees. It being an officially bilingual country, standards are high and this is one way of proving it. I don't know what I would do if I lived in a different country under different circumstances.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe she's multilingual Mar 4, 2014

Kate Deimling wrote:

Chris S wrote:

I wouldn't say that it's enriched my social life, but I think that face-to-face interactions can give you a great sense of who someone is and whether you'd like to work with them if the opportunity arises. And it's nice to commiserate now and then. The freelancer's life can be a lonely one.

It's true that in the case of the ATA, anyone can join. Some of the other organizations mentioned by posters seem to have more restrictions. But I think belonging to a professional group still offers some cachet to clients, because it shows that you care enough to pay the membership dues and be engaged with professional issues.

When I was a beginner, I appreciated that anyone could join, because it was a chance for me to learn. And ATA also offers certification, which is a credential that provides some meaningful distinction. As in any group, you can tell pretty quickly which members are experienced and knowledgeable, who's a newcomer, and who is perhaps not all that competent.

On a related note, at ATA conferences, everyone wears a colored sticker on their nametag to show which language or languages they work with. At the last conference I attended, I saw one woman with about 20 different colors stuck to her nametag and wondered how anyone could possibly translate at a professional level in so many languages. And I think the answer is, in fact, that it's not possible.

I've seen ATA attendees like that, Kate. They remind me of army generals with tons of colorful thingies attached to their chest.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
French to English
+ ...
What?! Mar 4, 2014

Chris S wrote:

I think you'll find the entrance requirements for qualified membership of the ITI and the CIoL are quite high actually. I think you need a couple of references to be an associate member, but if you want to be a qualified MITI you have to obtain further references and either do an entrance examination (two translations in your chosen fields for each language) or an assessment of submitted work (if you've been translating enough for this to be a feasible option. You also have to have five years' experience as a professional translator and submit details of the volumes of work you've done over a 5-year period - no mean feat! This was certainly the case when I finally got round to joining a few years back and it required considerable commitment on my part to submit the application, references and test pieces. The exams are stringently marked by qualified professionals, as are the CIoL exams, I believe.

I had translated for many years before I actually joined, first as an associate and then as a qualified member, mainly because I worked in-house for the first five years of my career, so it wasn't really relevant, and then I worked part-time whilst my children were growing up, so didn't qualify on the volume front. It was only as I started to work full-time that I decided I really should join my professional association, if only to boost my own self-esteem. For me, it has been well worthwhile: not only the exchanges with like-minded professionals, but listing in the directory also provides openings for work. As an occasional outsourcer myself, I would look to outsource to a fellow ITI (or similar) member simply as a guarantee of quality. I'm not saying there aren't other good translators out there, but the fact that someone has jumped through these particular hoops suggests they must have a certain standard. For members starting out in the profession, the ITI offers mentoring schemes and advice from colleagues and the bimonthly Bulletin is an excellent way of keeping abreast of changes and events in the industry. professional indemnity insurance is also available at reasonable rates for members of the ITI, as is legal advice should you ever get into difficulties with clients.

For anyone who is really serious about the profession, I feel that membership of a professional organisation is a must. It shows to clients (and colleagues) that you are a serious contender and helps to promote the image of translators as a real profession, not something any Tom, Dick or Harry could do (although they often try...). You wouldn't trust an unqualified accountant or lawyer, why shouldn't the same apply to a translator? And before I'm shouted down in flames, I wasn't a member for many years because of my own particular circumstances and I felt I was a good translator then. Now I've made the effort to prove that to others and I'm really glad I did so!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, ATA, CTA, formerly AITI and ANITI Mar 4, 2014

Yes, I'm a certified member of the ATA, and a corporate member of the CTA (Colorado Translators Association).

Formerly, in Italy I was also a member of AITI and a member and officer of ANITI.

I regularly receive inquires from prospects that find me via the ATA website, so, yes, I do think that membership of a professional association pays for itself (not to mention other benefits, such as networking with colleagues, and so on).

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, IAPTI Mar 5, 2014

International Association of Professional Translations and Interpreters.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Claire, it's only a commercial... Mar 5, 2014

Claire Cox wrote:

Chris S wrote:

I think you'll find the entrance requirements for qualified membership of the ITI and the CIoL are quite high actually. I think you need a couple of references to be an associate member, but if you want to be a qualified MITI you have to obtain further references and either do an entrance examination (two translations in your chosen fields for each language) or an assessment of submitted work (if you've been translating enough for this to be a feasible option. You also have to have five years' experience as a professional translator and submit details of the volumes of work you've done over a 5-year period - no mean feat! This was certainly the case when I finally got round to joining a few years back and it required considerable commitment on my part to submit the application, references and test pieces. The exams are stringently marked by qualified professionals, as are the CIoL exams, I believe.

I had translated for many years before I actually joined, first as an associate and then as a qualified member, mainly because I worked in-house for the first five years of my career, so it wasn't really relevant, and then I worked part-time whilst my children were growing up, so didn't qualify on the volume front. It was only as I started to work full-time that I decided I really should join my professional association, if only to boost my own self-esteem. For me, it has been well worthwhile: not only the exchanges with like-minded professionals, but listing in the directory also provides openings for work. As an occasional outsourcer myself, I would look to outsource to a fellow ITI (or similar) member simply as a guarantee of quality. I'm not saying there aren't other good translators out there, but the fact that someone has jumped through these particular hoops suggests they must have a certain standard. For members starting out in the profession, the ITI offers mentoring schemes and advice from colleagues and the bimonthly Bulletin is an excellent way of keeping abreast of changes and events in the industry. professional indemnity insurance is also available at reasonable rates for members of the ITI, as is legal advice should you ever get into difficulties with clients.

For anyone who is really serious about the profession, I feel that membership of a professional organisation is a must. It shows to clients (and colleagues) that you are a serious contender and helps to promote the image of translators as a real profession, not something any Tom, Dick or Harry could do (although they often try...). You wouldn't trust an unqualified accountant or lawyer, why shouldn't the same apply to a translator? And before I'm shouted down in flames, I wasn't a member for many years because of my own particular circumstances and I felt I was a good translator then. Now I've made the effort to prove that to others and I'm really glad I did so!

Clearly the ITI has tried to get its house in order since I was a member. Back then all you needed was experience, which is not the best marker of quality, and I never found that membership impressed clients.

I admit to being somewhat jaded. But all this talk of professional standards is simply not borne out by the average standard of work produced, in my experience. There are just too many members who are poor translators, undermining the value of membership.

I was once pressured into researching and writing an article about translation associations around the world. Admittedly it was a long time ago, but it does mean I have some knowledge in this field. Some had very high standards (but then undermined them by having translators work out of their mother tongue = Denmark) and some offered useful services (such as guaranteeing payments = Slovenia IIRC), but most were just offering the same old hot air, and I'm not convinced that's changed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you a member of a professional translation association?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »