Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer to work with an existing translation/TM to follow or without it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
As long as it's mine... Mar 3, 2014

Sometimes I work on documents which are related to previous documents I translated from a client, so I use the same TM for them. It would be silly not to.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:03
Mine, mine, mine! Mar 3, 2014

Simply creating an echo of many other contributors' opinions.

1. I like my own TM, because I know what's in it.

2. I like my own head for the same reason.

3. I only like one other TM, which belongs to the large client of quite a large agency, and is maintained an updated. Even so, it is awfully annoying to have to justify deviating from the TM because your context is different, or QA at Grammar HQ were snoozing when they entered a particular term, or the 10
... See more
Simply creating an echo of many other contributors' opinions.

1. I like my own TM, because I know what's in it.

2. I like my own head for the same reason.

3. I only like one other TM, which belongs to the large client of quite a large agency, and is maintained an updated. Even so, it is awfully annoying to have to justify deviating from the TM because your context is different, or QA at Grammar HQ were snoozing when they entered a particular term, or the 100% match is just plain wrong. Occasionally, I have my own translation done previously staring back at me from the foreign TM (I can tell from the "project" reference number). That feels weird.
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:03
Member (2009)
French to English
Depends on the project... Mar 3, 2014

Many translators have answered that they prefer to work with their own TM, but not that of someone else and I can certainly understand that point of view. The quality of the other TM also makes a huge difference. But more important to me is the type of project. If I am translating the latest iteration of a document that has been in existence for many years, I want my document to be consistent with what is already out there. Yes, I pray that those who have gone before me have made the best word c... See more
Many translators have answered that they prefer to work with their own TM, but not that of someone else and I can certainly understand that point of view. The quality of the other TM also makes a huge difference. But more important to me is the type of project. If I am translating the latest iteration of a document that has been in existence for many years, I want my document to be consistent with what is already out there. Yes, I pray that those who have gone before me have made the best word choices, but I do not want to waste hours tracking down those choices. As long as those choices are not completely incorrect, I want to be consistent above all.Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:03
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Mar 3, 2014

I do not understand the question.

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:03
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
It depends... Mar 3, 2014

...on the TM and on the project, of course. But I'm not that fond of myself to think my TMs are the best in the world either. If I get a project about a subject with an existing TM and the company provides me with it, why not? Yes, it can be a poor one, but so can be the text itself. It can also be a very nice one that helps me a lot.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
German to English
+ ...
prerequisite Mar 3, 2014

Not everybody uses CAT tools. Some of us wouldn't recognize a TM if it were jumping up and down in front of us with a big grin on its face. So it has to be "without" for me.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:03
Not about arrogance Mar 3, 2014

Laura Pascual wrote:

...on the TM and on the project, of course. But I'm not that fond of myself to think my TMs are the best in the world either. If I get a project about a subject with an existing TM and the company provides me with it, why not? Yes, it can be a poor one, but so can be the text itself. It can also be a very nice one that helps me a lot.

I agree with Laura that whatever resources the client provides should at least be considered.

I think the problem for most of us is that agencies can sometimes be inflexible in insisting on strict adherence to the TM, even on matters which have nothing to do with consistency of terminology, or maintaining house preferences. This insistence is grounded in the assumption that because "the machine" says so, it is correct in all circumstances.

At the start of a translation job, however, a translator cannot evaluate the quality of the TM instantly. Any deviation from the TM has to be justified by the translator (time consuming), and can cause unnecessary confusion, especially when both source and target languages are not known to the agency. Duplicating translation errors contained in a foreign TM simply to please an agency does not make them right; it is merely a duplication of translation errors.

I was under the impression that, as translators, we usually seek to avoid error.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer to work with an existing translation/TM to follow or without it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »