Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How do you start your normal working day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 2, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you start your normal working day?".

View the poll results »

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
German to English
+ ...
PC breakfast Mar 2, 2014

I switch on the PC and then prepare breakfast and coffee. By the time I have finished preparing breakfast, the computer is ready for me to open my CAT tool. I then usually read the news and emails before staring work.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Checking my e-mail Mar 2, 2014

I look to see if any work has come in overnight, since all my clients are at least 3 hours ahead of me, if not more.

After that, I get dressed, feed the dogs, and take them for a walk. Then I come back, fix breakfast for myself, and eat it sitting in front of the computer.

[Edited at 2014-03-02 08:55 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
First of all, I switch my PC on Mar 2, 2014

then I prepare my breakfast (tea and toasts), followed by an espresso, I have a look at my emails, read or watch the news for a few minutes, have a shower and... start working (when I'm in Lisbon and my youngest daughter leaves her dog with me, I also have to go out for walkies)!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
A cuppa Mar 2, 2014

A good cuppa tea. What else, old chap?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Music Mar 2, 2014

I get up, turn on the backup PC which I use as a radio and tune into the BBC, put the kettle on, let my 5 layers out of the henhouse to roam about, then go back to the kitchen and squeeze my oranges. I turn on my main working PC when I'm doing this, so that by the time I've squeezed a nice big glass of fresh juice it is good to go. The first thing I usually check is my e-mail to see if anything has come in, and if not, I have a quick look at the papers whilel I'm having my breakfast (juice foll... See more
I get up, turn on the backup PC which I use as a radio and tune into the BBC, put the kettle on, let my 5 layers out of the henhouse to roam about, then go back to the kitchen and squeeze my oranges. I turn on my main working PC when I'm doing this, so that by the time I've squeezed a nice big glass of fresh juice it is good to go. The first thing I usually check is my e-mail to see if anything has come in, and if not, I have a quick look at the papers whilel I'm having my breakfast (juice followed by porridge, then coffee and perhaps a croissant or something similar a bit later).

Although today is Sunday, I'm working this weekend and have just done all of the above, gone over three translated documents I did yesterday, prepared a bill for one client, and am about to start revising a text about something completely different. That shouldn't take me more than a couple of hours, after which I'll probably pop out to the local flea market for a stroll.

After lunch, I have another, different (more academic) translation I want to do in a more leisurely fashion, which I started last week but had to leave aside owing to pressure from my business clients, who tend to be in more of a rush.
Collapse

Büke (X)
Büke (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Muuuuusic Mar 2, 2014

My alarm clock plays the "Chim Chim Cheree" Mary Poppins/Saving Mr. Banks song by Thomas Newman.
İt's a wonderful way to start my day:)

Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Habits, old and new Mar 2, 2014

I used to check my emails first thing, while still in bed, especially when there wasn't much work around and I was feeling a bit desperate, but I dropped this evil habit. I do switch my PC on quite promptly and usually do a bit of work before breakfast, but I recently stopped having breakfast at the computer - it tastes better this way!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
cats Mar 2, 2014

feed the cats (not those ones...), make myself a cup of coffee and walk the dog...

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
other Mar 2, 2014

In order: get my kids ready for school, start my PC and then brekfast

Ilaria A. Feltre
Ilaria A. Feltre  Identity Verified
Malta
English to Italian
+ ...
Prayer Mar 2, 2014

I thank God and pray for the day, then have my coffee to kick-start my brain!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am NOT a morning person... Mar 2, 2014

Why ask a pole question about the worst part of my day?

First off, people actually expect me to get out of my warm bed. Usually I am woken up by my wife throwing something at me, followed by a long line of Disney-rated and creative pseudo-profanity. My alarm clock is set to its voice functions, which first accuses the dog of passing gas, reads the news and weather and ends, "Ok Triston, it's seriously time to get up now."

Once I'm out of bed, people expect me to do thi
... See more
Why ask a pole question about the worst part of my day?

First off, people actually expect me to get out of my warm bed. Usually I am woken up by my wife throwing something at me, followed by a long line of Disney-rated and creative pseudo-profanity. My alarm clock is set to its voice functions, which first accuses the dog of passing gas, reads the news and weather and ends, "Ok Triston, it's seriously time to get up now."

Once I'm out of bed, people expect me to do things! I typically let the dog out, fill my water bottle with juice, wake up my computer, check Proz, facebook and emails, cook and then continue with my day.

The first hour or two are the worst.
Collapse

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
I love the morning Mar 2, 2014

I get up, switch my PC on and go for a walk with my dog.

When I get back, I switch the coffee machine on, feed my dog, prepare breakfast (a slice of bread with nut butter and jam), and enjoy the Espresso and the bread in front of my Computer, watching a film or doing some gaming.

After that my work day starts.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
German to English
+ ...
Not a morning person, either Mar 3, 2014

Meaning, I don't get up as long as it's still dark outside. Then I let my dogs out, grab a glass of juice (different kind every day), turn on the PC and the TV. I check my email, respond to whatever needs responding to right away - such as job offers Then I browse Proz. Eventually make breakfast and feed the dogs. Then I do whatever needs to be done.
In the summer, I'm in the pool at 7:30 for a half-hour swim. (One of our c
... See more
Meaning, I don't get up as long as it's still dark outside. Then I let my dogs out, grab a glass of juice (different kind every day), turn on the PC and the TV. I check my email, respond to whatever needs responding to right away - such as job offers Then I browse Proz. Eventually make breakfast and feed the dogs. Then I do whatever needs to be done.
In the summer, I'm in the pool at 7:30 for a half-hour swim. (One of our city pools is open from 6 to 8 for us "earlybirders."
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Flexible routine, but amazingly, everything gets done Mar 3, 2014

Slippers on the right way around, switch on computer, put on kettle, look outside at the weather. bathroom for basics and to wash face and change into real clothes, open documents I am working on, open e-mail and check that and deal with small things, open Internet, open appropriate dictionaries online (and sometimes Facebook for five-minute peek). First sip of coffee, and a smoke, quick check of schedule (because detailed one is done the night before), then start translating.

Only
... See more
Slippers on the right way around, switch on computer, put on kettle, look outside at the weather. bathroom for basics and to wash face and change into real clothes, open documents I am working on, open e-mail and check that and deal with small things, open Internet, open appropriate dictionaries online (and sometimes Facebook for five-minute peek). First sip of coffee, and a smoke, quick check of schedule (because detailed one is done the night before), then start translating.

Only after my partner is awake, and I have helped her get up and dispensed coffee. Normally I wait until I have completed any early morning deadlines before having a shower and getting dressed properly in fresh clothes. If I get up incredibly early, and there is plenty of time, the shower and fresh, clean clothes is accorded a priority higher than than coffee! Brisk housework routine (also known as "exercise") happens after the shower.

I might eat something mid-morning. Otherwise, the first meal is lunch.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you start your normal working day?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »