Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How long have you been working as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:27
Lengths of balls of string Feb 28, 2014

Idalia Martin wrote:

I think the question or the answer options should be reworded, or the answer could be misleading.

There's a huge difference between a person who has been translating occasionally for 25 years as a means for supplemental income and a person who has been translating full time for 25 years.

If people simply choose an option without clarifying (as some of you have done in this forum), the results of the survey will not be very useful.

Of course.

In my case however, there were many years where I had a full-time job *in addition to* my freelance translation activities, and more often than not, clocked in over 40 hours per week on translation alone, and another 40-45 hours per week on the full-time job. I employed a full-time maid in those days (in Zimbabwe), but did cook dinner every evening. Holidays were very few and far between. In formal applications for work, I normally knock off 2 years from the 27 year total, to account for immigration to Portugal, and the 18 months after arrival, during which time I had a manual job, and learnt a new language, essentially from scratch, and did some translation work.

Having said that, not a day has gone by in my life since I was 15 (so, 7 years before I started gainful employment as a translator) when I have not given focussed, applied thought to some aspect of translation or language, so I for one, am not going to quibble about a couple of years on anyone else's CV spanning a quarter of a century or longer. Life has a way of interfering with one's translation work!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Expanded Feb 28, 2014

Idalia Martin wrote:

I think the question or the answer options should be reworded, or the answer could be misleading.

There's a huge difference between a person who has been translating occasionally for 25 years as a means for supplemental income and a person who has been translating full time for 25 years.

If people simply choose an option without clarifying (as some of you have done in this forum), the results of the survey will not be very useful.

I have been translating - full time - since 2007 ^_^

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:27
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Just passed the 30 barrier Mar 1, 2014

However, there was no big thunderclap and flash of light in the sky. Disappointing

But, like any good wine that matures with age, I just keep getting better and more modest, too.

[Edited at 2014-03-01 08:02 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Donkeys (Donkey's or Donkeys' ?) Mar 1, 2014

I was teaching EFL when I drifted into translation and was doing both for a few years until the latter took over. You could say I've been full-time translating for 10 years and part-time for 5-10.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long have you been working as a translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »