Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What do you use to plan big translation projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 15:01
French to English
+ ...
Calendar application Feb 25, 2014

When projects start piling up on top of each other, or if I'm worried I'll forget a deadline or the start date/time of a project I enter it into the Calendar application of my desktop computer (a Mac).

It's useful because I can set all sorts of alarms if needs be, and it also allows me to see if projects are going to overlap or not, and I can decide whether this will be problem.

Bonus feature: In the case of a project where exceptionally I might have to work evenings o
... See more
When projects start piling up on top of each other, or if I'm worried I'll forget a deadline or the start date/time of a project I enter it into the Calendar application of my desktop computer (a Mac).

It's useful because I can set all sorts of alarms if needs be, and it also allows me to see if projects are going to overlap or not, and I can decide whether this will be problem.

Bonus feature: In the case of a project where exceptionally I might have to work evenings or weekends I can also set the visibility of the project so it appears on my husband's desktop Calendar application to let him know I won't necessarily be available for social events etc. (more effective than if I tell him verbally in which case it would go in one ear and out the other!).

I also have an Excel calendar but I use it to log projects completed, not for planning upcoming work.
Collapse

Damien Poussier
Damien Poussier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:01
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Time traking Feb 25, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:
I do use a paper diary to keep a log of the time that I work on each project so that I can work out what my hourly earnings were and whether I met my earnings target, but not for details of things such as the client or deadline.

I use time tracking software for that, and it's much better than doing it by hand. Give Paymo a try, it's easy to use and convenient (and free), you won't regret it.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 07:01
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Ditto Feb 26, 2014

[quote]bohy wrote:

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:
Now I've moved to TO3000, I enter each new job info as soon as I receive it, and TO3000 updates automatically its schedule view, which I can check now and then, so that I don't have to maintain any kind of hand-written notes...
For my accounting, I export data to an Excel file, that's enough.

Me too. Excellent software. You can download it for free here: http://bit.ly/w0imCD

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
I use the reminder in my phone but may learn some from you all Feb 26, 2014

I don't have such big project usually but when I have, I focus all my time of the day on it.

I have my daily quota for the project based on the volume and my capacity and only rest for the day when I reach it. If I still have time, I can work pass my quota.

I also plan my time so that I can have a day or two to read over my translation, I often have to change things or pick out typing errors when I reread it.

Mary Jane Smith
Mary Jane Smith
Estonia
Everything is constantly synchronized Feb 28, 2014

Hi

I think integration is one quality to look for, whether it is accounting, CRM or some other solution. Who has time to re-type the same data in different places, saving time=saving money.

Mary Jane

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you use to plan big translation projects?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »