Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you use to plan big translation projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 09:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 25, 2014

I have never really planned a project as such. I certainly need to look carefully at the job before I start to be sure that I can meet the deadline, but after that I just make a start. I generally work through the files in the order the client sent them to me. I start by translating the first file, when that is finished, go on to the second, and so on until I complete the last file. Is there really that much for an individual freelancer to plan? I don't think so.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excel spreadsheet Feb 25, 2014

That's also my answer to Sandrine's question. My sheet includes client name, PO, job title, source language, date received, deadline, date delivered, # of words, rate, date invoiced, date paid, fees charged, and notes.

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

Hello everybody,

In fact, my question was changed a little bit by Proz. They added "big" whereas I wanted to know "How do you manage your projects day-to-to not to forget any job to deliver; where you put the client name, the type of project (translation, editing), volume, deadline?" For example, I use a diary (paper way) in which I put all my projects. I have a friend that writes her weekly programm on sheets of paper, some people use also a software like TO 3000. And you?

Sandrine

For big projects, the only additional thing I do is enter a daily quota in my calendar. I don't go to bed until I've met my quota.

Christine Andersen
In both cases, pen or pencil and

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 09:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
Understood Feb 25, 2014

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

Hello everybody,

In fact, my question was changed a little bit by Proz. They added "big" whereas I wanted to know "How do you manage your projects day-to-to not to forget any job to deliver; where you put the client name, the type of project (translation, editing), volume, deadline?" For example, I use a diary (paper way) in which I put all my projects. I have a friend that writes her weekly programm on sheets of paper, some people use also a software like TO 3000. And you?

Sandrine

Now I understand. I just keep this information in my head, with the client's e-mails in my inbox there if I need them. I rarely work on more than one job at a time, and I can't imagine that I would ever forget who I am doing my current job for, or what the deadline is. I would only ever break off from a large job to do a very short translation (not much more than one hour) for another client, and again I find it inconceivable that I would forget either who I am doing the short job for or who the client of my longer assignment is. When it is time to deliver, I usually go back to the client's e-mail to find the address to deliver to, unless it is one of my very regular clients whose e-mails I know by heart.
I do use a paper diary to keep a log of the time that I work on each project so that I can work out what my hourly earnings were and whether I met my earnings target, but not for details of things such as the client or deadline.

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:30
German to Polish
+ ...
Outlook Feb 25, 2014

I use categories and flags in Outlook. When there are many small jobs in the week or in general much smaller issues to handle I use outlook calender, which synschronises with my google calender, so all my devices remind me what to do next.

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Accounting software Feb 25, 2014

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

Hello everybody,

Sandrine

I used to use an Excel file which also served as the database for invoicing.
About three years ago I bought Quickbooks for my invoicing and I now also use it for planning. When a new job comes in I prepare an "Estimate" within Quickbooks - this never gets sent to the client, but means that within Quickbooks I have a screen with all current jobs listed on it. For some clients who send me multiple small jobs I simply add each one to that month's "estimate".
If things get really complicated I date the estimates by their deadlines, and can then sort the screen in deadline order. There is also a memo field in which I can make a note, which is visible in the list of "estimates". I delete the "estimates" once I've invoiced the job(s).
Although it looks complicated written out like that it works very well for me, and means that invoicing is a breeze
In addition I have a Work in Progress file on my desktop, and once work is completed I move the work files to my customer files.

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Whiteboard Feb 25, 2014

I have a whiteboard hanging on the wall of my home office.
It helps me keep track of all my projects and deadlines.
It also serves as a means of communication with my wife, who works with me and does all the book-keeping.
I couldn't manage without it.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Whiteboard Feb 25, 2014

I also have a small whiteboard for when things get complicated - lots of different projects for different customers. It helps me see where I can fit in more work. A big project presents fewer problems really - just calculate how long it will take and offer a deadline.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TO 3000 Feb 25, 2014

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:
I wanted to know "How do you manage your projects day-to-day not to forget any job to deliver; where you put the client name, the type of project (translation, editing), volume, deadline?" For example, I use a diary (paper way) in which I put all my projects. I have a friend that writes her weekly programm on sheets of paper, some people use also a software like TO 3000. And you?
Sandrine

In the past, I've used an accounting software (QuickBooks, too complicated for what I needed, and unable to handle different currencies) plus hand-written notes to remember all current jobs...
Now I've moved to TO3000, I enter each new job info as soon as I receive it, and TO3000 updates automatically its schedule view, which I can check now and then, so that I don't have to maintain any kind of hand-written notes...
For my accounting, I export data to an Excel file, that's enough.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Portuguese to English
+ ...
rolled my own Feb 25, 2014

In the past I have used TransProCalc for at least management of some of the logistical and financial aspects of managing larger projects that I was sharing (outsourcing) with other colleagues.

Now I am in the process of creating TransProCloud which will serve a similar purpose, but also include clients and providers databases and other features (at this juncture the client/
... See more
In the past I have used TransProCalc for at least management of some of the logistical and financial aspects of managing larger projects that I was sharing (outsourcing) with other colleagues.

Now I am in the process of creating TransProCloud which will serve a similar purpose, but also include clients and providers databases and other features (at this juncture the client/provider DBs are about the only part production ready, whereas most of the project management stuff has been on hold for a while as I've been busy).

TransProCloud will run on a webserver (php/mysql stuff), where TransProCalc is a desktop application.

Both are Free/Open Source Software.
Collapse

Davide Grillo
Davide Grillo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Excel Feb 25, 2014

A sheet with clients (columns), info (rows) and colours, month by month...and another one for invoicing related info.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A book Feb 25, 2014

I've always kept a job book, going back to 1983 when I began to have more than a few jobs at a time. I've thrown away most of the very old ones, but I still have those that cover the last 5 to 10 years. They are interesting to consult regarding clients, rates, particular jobs. Also I like being able to check it when I'm not on the computer. My numbering system, which I changed after a few years so it doesn't reflect my entire translation career, tells me that I have clocked up over 8000 differen... See more
I've always kept a job book, going back to 1983 when I began to have more than a few jobs at a time. I've thrown away most of the very old ones, but I still have those that cover the last 5 to 10 years. They are interesting to consult regarding clients, rates, particular jobs. Also I like being able to check it when I'm not on the computer. My numbering system, which I changed after a few years so it doesn't reflect my entire translation career, tells me that I have clocked up over 8000 different jobs.Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 25, 2014

I don't really plan anything much and tend to go with the flow.

I keep all my work-related documents in a folder called Work, inside which there is a folder for each client, containing the jobs from them in folders arranged chronologically (year, month, day).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use MS Outlook as dynamic calendar for projects Feb 25, 2014

Szymon Metkowski wrote:

I use categories and flags in Outlook. When there are many small jobs in the week or in general much smaller issues to handle I use outlook calender, which synschronises with my google calender, so all my devices remind me what to do next.

Thanks, Szymon, for bringing up a sensible option: MS Outlook.

I have been using MS Outlook for years and years:

1) I use Outlook 2007, where you can add calendar things and color them by category: Project deadlines, Contract work, Doctor's visit, etc.
2) A quick look at the To-Do Bar on the right shows me all the things I'm supposed to pay attention in that given week.
3) I have two big folders in my Outlook PST file: PERSONAL and PROFESSIONAL. The latter has subfolders on anything imaginable, such as Clients, Finances, Software & Subscriptions (for the software packages and trade magazines I buy and keep), etc.
4) Under Clients, I have folders for each customer. And under each customer (Hansa, for example, is a client) I have subfolders per year, and per project number or name.

It sounds complicated but it works as a system for me.

The main point is to make things immediately visible. I use Outlook 24/7 all year round. I also plan conferences to attend, work lunches, university classes I teach, etc. Like Szymon, I sync my Outlook calendar and email accounts with my iPhone 4S via iTunes (my choice). That way, I can add, delete or modify calendar entries at will.

Top that with an Excel sheet.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
We do the same Feb 25, 2014

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

It also serves as a means of communication with my wife, who works with me and does all the book-keeping.

We do the same thing here. Even down to my wife handling most of the accounting. We were very excited to upgrade to a bigger whiteboard this year, we just didn't have enough room for all our projects ^_^

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Using whiteboards Feb 25, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

We do the same thing here. Even down to my wife handling most of the accounting. We were very excited to upgrade to a bigger whiteboard this year, we just didn't have enough room for all our projects ^_^

Whiteboards have some advantages (they are very visible!) over an Excel spreadsheet or a tiny calendar. However, it boils down to a matter of personal convenience or taste. I had two whiteboards that I used to jot down some ideas and projects, but then I quickly forgot about them. They became invisible. So I took them down.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you use to plan big translation projects?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »