Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you proofread your work before delivering it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 19, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you proofread your work before delivering it?".

View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:32
Turkish to English
+ ...
series of loops Feb 19, 2014

I think the reference here is to reviewing work for a wide range of errors and problems, including stylistic ones, as opposed to what is meant by proofreading in the strict sense. I would prefer to use the verb 'review' to describe this process.

My way of working incorporates reviewing in a series of loops. I first work on each sentence in a paragraph - and the kind of legal texts that I usually work with in my source language often have very long and complicated sentences, so that
... See more
I think the reference here is to reviewing work for a wide range of errors and problems, including stylistic ones, as opposed to what is meant by proofreading in the strict sense. I would prefer to use the verb 'review' to describe this process.

My way of working incorporates reviewing in a series of loops. I first work on each sentence in a paragraph - and the kind of legal texts that I usually work with in my source language often have very long and complicated sentences, so that can be a task on its own - and after having completed the raw translation of the sentence, I keep reading through it and modifying it until it sounds absolutely right to me. I then stop at the end of each paragraph and again read through the whole paragraph and make any modifications that I feel to be necessary, and do not move on until I am absolutely satisfied. I repeat this procedure at the end of every section. Finally, when I have completed the text, ideally I will go for a walk for 45 minutes or so to freshen my mind and distance myself from the work, and then come back for a final check, which I nowadays find, having already gone through the procedure above, does not take very long and I usually do not come across any more errors at that stage.

So, for me, reviewing is incorporated into my work process rather than being an optional extra that is tagged on at the end.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:32
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Of course I do Feb 19, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

I usually do not come across any more errors at that stage.

Same here, but I am so, so glad to catch those occasional howlers myself during that last proofreading stage rather than letting them slip through!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, several times! Feb 19, 2014

If it's a short text (5 pages max.) I proofread it myself. First against the source, a second time after making all corrections needed, a third time reading aloud: you may hear a problem (a faulty verb ending or a missing word) that you haven't been able to see.

For longer texts, I have an arrangement with a colleague where we provide each other with mutual assistance and cooperation: a new set of eyes may immediately spot errors that you've overlooked.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
How could you not? Feb 19, 2014

We're translators, not interpreters

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I should hope so!!!!! Feb 19, 2014

I always go over it at least twice: first, a review a for content, and then a final proofreading.

A wise printer once told me that these processes must always be done separately. If you're paying attention to content, you miss typos, and if you're looking for typos you lose your critical eye for content. (This is one of many reasons why I dislike the rampant use of the term 'proofreading' by agencies and PMs.)

IMO, anything less that two re-readings is unprofessional.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Several times Feb 19, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

IMO, anything less that two re-readings is unprofessional.

I agree with all the comments I read

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
doesn't it go without saying? Feb 19, 2014

I do a rough draft, without bothering to look anything up, which amounts really to an initial read-through.

Then I go through it again, doing all the research, checking that everything is there and brushing things up if they strike me as being poorly expressed. This I consider to be the main phase of real translation work.

Then I do my first first proofread, checking against the source to make sure I have left nothing out and added nothing in, that all shades of mean
... See more
I do a rough draft, without bothering to look anything up, which amounts really to an initial read-through.

Then I go through it again, doing all the research, checking that everything is there and brushing things up if they strike me as being poorly expressed. This I consider to be the main phase of real translation work.

Then I do my first first proofread, checking against the source to make sure I have left nothing out and added nothing in, that all shades of meaning have been taken into account, that I am saying what the author intends to say.

Then I put the source text away, and do a final proofread, only looking at the target text. This may involve ripping the entire thing apart and putting it all together in a different order, chopping things up and re-writing until it no longer looks like the original at all, depending of course on the type of text. But whatever sort of text it is, I don't leave it alone until it rings true and sounds like it was written in the target language in the first place.

I do like another person to go through the last two stages as well, then discuss all changes that third party might suggest, but of course the budget doesn't always stretch to that. In which case I usually require a night's sleep in between either stages 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.

I'm amazed that others simply go for a walk to refresh their brain. Mine must be that much more sluggish, or perhaps the type of work I do is that much more demanding in terms of sounding authentic (mostly marketing and creative stuff)?
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Always Feb 19, 2014

I mean, who wouldn't/doesn't?

[Edited at 2014-02-19 12:20 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I always do-- a few times-- at least three Feb 19, 2014

preferably at least 24 hours after the translation was completed--the final check. This produces the best results based on my personal experience and research done by some universities.

This does not mean, however, that the companies-- the outsourcers, or the publishers, should not go through it again--it is absolutely essential that all texts, especially for publication, be proofread by a third party, since you cannot see all of your own mistakes-- this has also been proven throu
... See more
preferably at least 24 hours after the translation was completed--the final check. This produces the best results based on my personal experience and research done by some universities.

This does not mean, however, that the companies-- the outsourcers, or the publishers, should not go through it again--it is absolutely essential that all texts, especially for publication, be proofread by a third party, since you cannot see all of your own mistakes-- this has also been proven through some research. There are also various rules related to style that may be internal-- specific for the particular publisher or company.

[Edited at 2014-02-19 12:04 GMT]
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Part of my part of the process Feb 19, 2014

Yes, I do (can I say of course?). But that doesn't mean that I say that the text has been proofread when I deliver it - I expect the client to engage someone to do that, or the agency to take care of it. If they ask me to translate and proofread I say that I only do the former.

Of course, many clients jump the last step, but I will not be held responsible for it not having been done.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Several times Feb 19, 2014

Like Tim, it is hard to tell how many times I check content and read and correct as I go along.
Two read-throughs once I believe I am finished the translation is standard for me. These normally catch most typos. Depending on the nature of the typos (and the text itself) I may read it aloud. I proofread a third time. If I find any typo at this stage, however small, I will read it again, this time "backwards" paragraph by paragraph. By now, I am such a nervous wreck, I need a cup of coffee.
... See more
Like Tim, it is hard to tell how many times I check content and read and correct as I go along.
Two read-throughs once I believe I am finished the translation is standard for me. These normally catch most typos. Depending on the nature of the typos (and the text itself) I may read it aloud. I proofread a third time. If I find any typo at this stage, however small, I will read it again, this time "backwards" paragraph by paragraph. By now, I am such a nervous wreck, I need a cup of coffee. Once I have my mug in my hand, I will go through the text one last time before delivering the translation.
I went through a phase at the end of last year where I was not seeing my typos. I hope that is now over. One can never be 100% sure, though.
Collapse

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Always Feb 19, 2014

Difficult to believe some people replied 'sometimes or never'!

Andris Dinaburgskis
Andris Dinaburgskis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:32
English to Latvian
+ ...
This depends Feb 19, 2014

My choice mostly depends on the client's requirements. Sometimes it is not required and not a very effective time consumption. Some clients have proofreaders for this purpose

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
I even think that these statistics are biaised Feb 19, 2014

Sanmar wrote:

Difficult to believe some people replied 'sometimes or never'!

I worked inhouse in an agency, and I was astonished about how many people submitted their first draft, without any proofreading (90%), and even with holes in it and leaving the client choose between three options. Next time we worked with the remaining 10%, but after a while they often showed the same behaviour. The argument was that this was the agency's work.
We found the same people at the end of the month on the doormat, quering for full payment. My boss always paid people, but there were instances where the bookkeeper was not ready and they became so angry that we even had to call the police.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you proofread your work before delivering it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »