Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you proofread your work before delivering it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:25
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
At least twice Feb 19, 2014

Allison Wright wrote:

I went through a phase at the end of last year where I was not seeing my typos. I hope that is now over. One can never be 100% sure, though.

Once I have finished a translation I always re-read it twice. The first time I put the source text away and read the target as a text in its own right, making sure it reads well in English and not 'translationese'. The second time, I bring the source text back out and check very carefully, line by line. However, I am always amazed when silly typos still slip through the net. A tutor of mine once recommended checking the text backwards. That way, you look more closely at the words themselves and your brain doesn't make assumptions about what is coming next. It's harder work but it does make errors easier to spot.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good one Feb 19, 2014

Chris S wrote:

We're translators, not interpreters

The poll's question could also be “Do you tie your shoelaces after putting on your shoes?”

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well... Feb 20, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Chris S wrote:

We're translators, not interpreters

The poll's question could also be “Do you tie your shoelaces after putting on your shoes?”

I just leave my shoes tied and slip them on and off.

Yes, I read through all my translations two or three times, and then Gaby will read through it too. We've been working like this since we started and it's been a great system for us.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:25
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Of course ... Feb 20, 2014

Proof reading is part of the job, as others have said.
As a rule, I spell-check and read through when I've completed a page, then continue with the next page, and so on. When I've translated the whole job, I spell check it and read it through again at least once. If time allows, I leave it overnight and read it through again next day, making any necessary alterations improvements. The trouble is that these days jobs are often "ultra-urgent", so it's not always possible to "perfect" the wor
... See more
Proof reading is part of the job, as others have said.
As a rule, I spell-check and read through when I've completed a page, then continue with the next page, and so on. When I've translated the whole job, I spell check it and read it through again at least once. If time allows, I leave it overnight and read it through again next day, making any necessary alterations improvements. The trouble is that these days jobs are often "ultra-urgent", so it's not always possible to "perfect" the work in this way.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you proofread your work before delivering it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »