Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What skill do you believe is the most important for succeeding as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:13
With Muriel Feb 11, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

That was my first reaction: knowledge of the two languages and knowledge of the subject matter.

Then comes skill at resolving the lexical and syntactic differences between the two languages.

Then comes good writing style.

I find it quite surprising that these were left out. IMO, everything else is secondary. With only the other attributes listed:

organization
good communication with clients
patience
speed
memory

the Emperor would have no clothes.

I am with Muriel, except I would insert the following into her order of play one above "good writing" style:

The ability to ask the right kind of questions about the text being translated (i.e. know how to research terms and expressions in source and target text, and matters pertaining to the subject at hand).

Héctor Carpena García
Héctor Carpena García  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:13
German to Spanish
+ ...
And maybe... Feb 14, 2014

Among "knowledge" I would add "Sprachgefühl" or ≈ "feel for language".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What skill do you believe is the most important for succeeding as a freelance translator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »