Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: My favorite piece of information in the subject line of an email from a regular client is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hey, let's do this! Feb 7, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

So, I'm not alone in feeling surprise at this poll. Trust me, a better question would be What's the most off-putting piece of information you can find in the subject line of an email from a regular client?

@Mario
Niiiiiiiiice!
Let's get both the best and worst of e-mail openers. I'm sure we all have our own top 10 peeves and darling overtures.

Pleeeease. Pretty please. Someone suggest this as a poll! And, we can post the link to all our customers.

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:25
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oh yes! Feb 7, 2014

B. D. Laux wrote:

Order number / PO number - it's very convenient when I write the invoice later

This is the piece of info that makes my life much easier.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:25
French to English
"Thank you for a great job of work" Feb 7, 2014

That's my all-time favourite, especially when the body of the mail continues in the same vein.

I got one like that once, when I worked in-house. From a client who sent me the most technically-challenging translations ever, it was a nightmare and at one point he mentioned that he sometimes got the impression I really dreaded his mails. Well I did! But I told him that I appreciated our great working relationship, how he was always ready to answer our questions and would even amend th
... See more
That's my all-time favourite, especially when the body of the mail continues in the same vein.

I got one like that once, when I worked in-house. From a client who sent me the most technically-challenging translations ever, it was a nightmare and at one point he mentioned that he sometimes got the impression I really dreaded his mails. Well I did! But I told him that I appreciated our great working relationship, how he was always ready to answer our questions and would even amend the source when things weren't clear. That it was great to get feedback on our stuff and that I had learnt a lot working with him (well I mostly learned that complicated formats were to be avoided at all costs!). A while later I handed in the most complicated of projects I ever did for him. It took me ages because while I was on holiday the boss outsourced it to someone in India who did a word-for-word job. I had to redo it instead of proofreading it. We handed it in several weeks late and I felt terrible, then once he had finished his very thorough proofread he sent me the above mail. I immediately wrote back to ask him to send it again but copied to the boss, which he did. Lovely guy!

He was also the only client who asked whether I had any friends or family in London on the 07/07/07 bombings (I happened to be handing in a slew of files for him that day).
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I said "word count," but . . . Feb 7, 2014

in fact it rarely appears in the subject line. So I'll go with Teresa and say "More work"!

For me, word count is the next most important piece of news, because I'm usually already committed and I want to know how big the job is. The next thing I want to know is the deadline. I don't care which of my source languages it's in.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Oh Feb 7, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It starts:

"Hi, translator"

I'm put off already!

Okay, can only agree as well

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ASAP Feb 7, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

I quite like emails which say something like 'medical document' or 'equipment manual'. No very strong preferences - I do have my least preferred subject lines though (mostly used by one particular client) which reads URGENT!!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!! or SUPER URGENT!!!! AVAILABILITY?!!

ASAP or TRANSLATE THIS ASAP, with no context at all, just an attached file.
No wonder I have to call back and ask
- OK, but TO WHICH LANGUAGE YOU MEAN??

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
PO number Feb 7, 2014

Sometimes I get several jobs from different PMs in the same agency. The PO number is very important to find the e-mail I need and I also store the files (source files + translation) in separate folders by PO number.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
If by favorite you mean off-putting... Feb 7, 2014

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

I quite like emails which say something like 'medical document' or 'equipment manual'. No very strong preferences - I do have my least preferred subject lines though (mostly used by one particular client) which reads URGENT!!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!! or SUPER URGENT!!!! AVAILABILITY?!!

ASAP or TRANSLATE THIS ASAP, with no context at all, just an attached file.
No wonder I have to call back and ask
- OK, but TO WHICH LANGUAGE YOU MEAN??

Your example got the prize.

I tend to be quite miffed whenever I get an Urgent or ASAP job request. I don't do rush jobs anymore...except for my cat Oreo.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
another one Feb 7, 2014

I quite like to see in the subject line "Invoice paid" .....

Not all customers inform me when they pay, but it's nice to see that some of them care.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Feb 7, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:
... I do have my least preferred subject lines though (mostly used by one particular client) which reads URGENT!!!! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!!! or SUPER URGENT!!!! AVAILABILITY?!!

I have one client who send maddening emails like that. Last month he kept sending me emails and SMS one weekend simply saying "your missing texts please", but did not reply to my replies asking "what missing files" (it turned out there weren't any, at least not from me). Sometimes he just sends a bunch of attachments to translate and/or revise with a cryptic "FOR MONDAY", which I also find quite annoying.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
PO number Feb 7, 2014

B. D. Laux wrote:

Order number / PO number - it's very convenient when I write the invoice later

Same for me. Some clients send several jobs in a given period of time, and multiple e-mails for each ; I must be able to quickly sort out my emails.

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Words count and deadline, then PO number/reference Feb 11, 2014

PO-(order number) | xxx Words for (date) @(time)

That the format I use when I am the outsourcer, and it contains more or less the information I get from most of my clients in the subject line.

When you are away from the inbox, then you are back and you have several messages/offers, this information of volume and deadline might suggest which one I would open first.

As to the reference number, it's great whenever I need to refer to this particular message for
... See more
PO-(order number) | xxx Words for (date) @(time)

That the format I use when I am the outsourcer, and it contains more or less the information I get from most of my clients in the subject line.

When you are away from the inbox, then you are back and you have several messages/offers, this information of volume and deadline might suggest which one I would open first.

As to the reference number, it's great whenever I need to refer to this particular message for classification, invoicing and other purposes.

Yes my least favorite in the subject line would be something like this "URGENT!!!!"

I hope outsourcers rethink it
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My favorite piece of information in the subject line of an email from a regular client is:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »