Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you consider a competent accounting department of your client a top priority when doing business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Really? Feb 6, 2014

With the number of people answering 'no' to this question, it's no wonder so many clients show so little regard for freelancers when it comes to paying invoices on time. Thanks a bunch guys!

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like Neilmac's approach Feb 6, 2014

I guess it depends on the client. Some companies just inspire more confidence than others. Otherwise, all my terms and conditions are on my invoice.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hard to say really ... Feb 6, 2014

When things go right, I send my invoice by email or post and wait the specified number of days, the money shows up in my account, and that's that 'til next time. So a client's competent accounting practices and timely payments are usually invisible to me. Many of my clients have automated systems, which work like clockwork.

Usually I deal with actual human beings in accounting departments when things go wrong and payments are already late, payment was sent with wrong account holde
... See more
When things go right, I send my invoice by email or post and wait the specified number of days, the money shows up in my account, and that's that 'til next time. So a client's competent accounting practices and timely payments are usually invisible to me. Many of my clients have automated systems, which work like clockwork.

Usually I deal with actual human beings in accounting departments when things go wrong and payments are already late, payment was sent with wrong account holder, wrong currency, etc and refused by my bank. I judge 'competence' on how quickly they sort out the issue.

But over the years I'm hatching the theory that late payments have more to do with payment policy and willingness to pay on time, rather than competence/incompetence.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
An accounting department merely... Feb 6, 2014

... carries out orders, follows policies & procedures and posts entries on books.

If the client has a fully competent and state-of-the-art-equipped accounting department, but leonine policies in what regards their vendors, I'll be relentlessly overloaded every time they need me.

If the company relies on an accountant who comes only once or twice a month to get it all done, and nothing in his area gets done between his or her visits, that's deemed a leonine policy as wel
... See more
... carries out orders, follows policies & procedures and posts entries on books.

If the client has a fully competent and state-of-the-art-equipped accounting department, but leonine policies in what regards their vendors, I'll be relentlessly overloaded every time they need me.

If the company relies on an accountant who comes only once or twice a month to get it all done, and nothing in his area gets done between his or her visits, that's deemed a leonine policy as well. "Our hands are tied in the meantime" is no excuse for me.

If the Project Manager is actually a manager, s/he'll be empowered to tell whoever is in charge of accounts, no matter how (in)competent they are, "Get my translators paid NOW! They are the lifeblood of this translation agency. If they get sore at us, we'll have nothing to sell our clients, hence no money to pay my salary nor yours."
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 6, 2014

Let's say that an incompetent accounting department would be a top priority for not doing more business with that client...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you consider a competent accounting department of your client a top priority when doing business?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »