Poll: What is your preferred CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
So many tools, so little time Jan 26, 2014

I don't buy into the statement that clients require a certain tool. I only use the client's tool if it is in my best interest, not theirs.

I started using Deja Vu in 1999, alongside Trados. I've worked with specific software localization tools since then, like Microsoft Localization Studio and Passolo, but I've also learned to work with networked CAT tools, such as the not-so-great Idiom WorldServer.

Right now, I'm using the LingoTek-MadCap workflow for a major client.
... See more
I don't buy into the statement that clients require a certain tool. I only use the client's tool if it is in my best interest, not theirs.

I started using Deja Vu in 1999, alongside Trados. I've worked with specific software localization tools since then, like Microsoft Localization Studio and Passolo, but I've also learned to work with networked CAT tools, such as the not-so-great Idiom WorldServer.

Right now, I'm using the LingoTek-MadCap workflow for a major client. The networked workbench is Java-powered, which makes it really fast, and MadCap works with the XLIFF format, which is advantageous when working with tagged text (you know, tags for formatting features such as headlines, paragraphs, links, boldface, italics and the like).

20 years from now, we'll be working with similar tools, as long as they are flexible, intuitive, user-friendly and scalable.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just download this Jan 26, 2014

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Fortis Revolution

But I haven't really had a chance to use it yet. It looks pretty neat.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:53
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
MS Office 2010 Jan 27, 2014

It's the best - I don't recommend 2013!

But tools specific to the translation industry: SDL Trados Studio - I find it the most beginner friendly if you just need to be able to use a TM or create one. I don't like their market monopoly though. It's just so obvious that they keep developing new versions just so they can justify selling new overpriced products which haven't even been bug tested properly (translators will do that for free anyway), and then they can neglect to correct
... See more
It's the best - I don't recommend 2013!

But tools specific to the translation industry: SDL Trados Studio - I find it the most beginner friendly if you just need to be able to use a TM or create one. I don't like their market monopoly though. It's just so obvious that they keep developing new versions just so they can justify selling new overpriced products which haven't even been bug tested properly (translators will do that for free anyway), and then they can neglect to correct any remaining bugs in earlier versions.

I would love to love Memoq but unfortunately it is seriously laggy on my setup! Also having to connect online always seems to cause some trouble when beginning a new project.

Wordfast is fine for proofreading, but for translation.. horrible.

Fortis Revolution is quite alright from what I've seen.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your preferred CAT tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »