Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you alter your rates depending on the client's country of residence?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
janen
janen
Local time: 00:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Acceptance, not alteration Jan 23, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

There is no way that clients from Turkey would or could pay my usual rates so, occasionally, when there is absolutely no work available from Western countries, I may do some work from Turkey at lower rates - although still for well above the abysmal level of remuneration prevalent on that market. It is surely preferable to earn a few peanuts rather than nothing.

I don't think this amounts to altering your rates depending on the client's country of residence. This is just accepting what a client is willing to pay when you have no better offers. I do the same.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Must be an American English collocation then Jan 23, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

First, let's use proper verbs and collocations. Rates for professional services may be modified or changed if we are talking about raising them or lowering them.

The verb alter implies tampering of some sort. Shall we grab a Roget's Thesaurus for clarification?

???

Alter = change = raise or lower in this case

Even though alter is synonymous with change, modify, etc., I've seen it in different contexts.

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:06
English to Indonesian
Exactly Jan 24, 2014

Chris S wrote:

In general, we charge as much as we feel we can get away with

Norwegians are willing to pay more than Swedes

Simples

My sentiment too. I increase my rate for clients from certain countries.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:06
Greek to English
In memoriam
I'm with Aditya and Chris S Jan 26, 2014

I certainly alter my rates depending on the client's country.

That does NOT mean that I will accept whatever peanuts a client wants to offer: I have minimum rates which are non-negotiable. That means that companies in some countries won't use my services. However, when I negotiate with a potential new client based in a country with a higher standard of living I increase my rate to what is acceptable in that country.

Susan Ruusunen
Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:06
English to Finnish
+ ...
Agreeing with most here Feb 27, 2014

I answered 'No'.

My expenses remain the same, regardless of the client's country, budget or the alignment of Mercury and Mars.
I still have to pay for everything in *my* country; taxes are high here, not to mention housing & living costs, etc.

In addition, most entrepreneurs here must pay contributions to their future pension and insure personal pension rights under the Self-Employed Person´s Pensions Act. This applies to self-employed persons who are 18-67 yea
... See more
I answered 'No'.

My expenses remain the same, regardless of the client's country, budget or the alignment of Mercury and Mars.
I still have to pay for everything in *my* country; taxes are high here, not to mention housing & living costs, etc.

In addition, most entrepreneurs here must pay contributions to their future pension and insure personal pension rights under the Self-Employed Person´s Pensions Act. This applies to self-employed persons who are 18-67 years old, and earn over 7,430 eur/year. (Optional for people earning less.)

This is 23.3% of confirmed income. Granted, you can pay according to some estimated lower income/earnings than your actual taxable income (that will, in turn, decrease the eventual pension) but that is nevertheless likely a hefty sum per year, in my opinion and experience.

And as for the extremely low rates propositions: Thanks, but not possible - I do my charity elsewhere, not to increase some other business' profit margin.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you alter your rates depending on the client's country of residence?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »