Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use speech recognition software while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Pierantonio Paulon
Pierantonio Paulon  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
German to Italian
+ ...
Trados and Dragon Jun 28, 2013

Marta Cervera Areny wrote:

I've tried working with Dragon, but it's a pain in the neck when I use it with SDL Trados 2011. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... Is anyone working with this combination?

Plus, there's no voice recognition software for Catalan, so even if it worked smoothly I could only use it with my translations into Spanish.

Apparently Catalan is not supported up to now, you should ask them!.
Using Dragon with TRADOS is possibile with some attention.

If you use the premium edition (I think the professional overcomes this problem) and put your cursor on the active segment of TRADOS, Dragon open a Window and start writing in it and you have then to trasnsfer (alt + T shortcut) to Trados. In this window the correction option is available. If you keep that Windows open, and put the cursor in Trados it start writing directly in TRADOS. That saves you all the transfer work but you lose the possibility to use the correction option.

in next prov meeting in Biarritz there will be a seminar about that.
I think there are also some other posts here.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
no but I would like to Jun 28, 2013

Evgeny Artemov (X)
Evgeny Artemov (X)  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 13:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Too raw a product (Dragon or whatever else) Jun 28, 2013

And if you speak with an accent, it's a waste of money and time trying to customize the darned thing.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Perhaps a silly question... Jun 28, 2013

... but is it possible to use Dragon with MemoQ, or does DNS work directly on Word only? I'd love to give it a try, since my hands would really appreciate the break.

Greetings!

===

Chris S wrote:

I'm having an Airplane moment in reverse today - Dragon keeps typing "surely" when I say "Shirley":)

Heeeehe. Thank you for this. Closing the week with a laugh is always a good thing.

[Edited at 2013-06-28 17:49 GMT]

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
You can also use typing shortcuts Jun 28, 2013

... for repeated words or phrases, e.g. with a tool like Asutype. If you're tired of typing "princess", you can set up a shortcut like "xx" and just type that instead.

Francesca Battaglia wrote:

For example, I am currently translating an online gaming site with girly games of princesses. You'd imagine the word princess is not tedious but after you've written it for 50 times in a row and paired it with pink, glitter and beautiful in all its possible variants and combination.. believe me, you can be barely able to type it with two fingers.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
How do you address the need to go back, revise? Jun 28, 2013

I kinda sculpt my sentences as I go... I go back and forth on them, backtrack a lot, work the backspace button. Dictating sounds like the sentence would need to be right the first time, which is so far from what I work like.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not al all anymore Jun 28, 2013

I used to work with Dragon a lot and very well from Dragon 5 up until Dragon 8. Since Dragon 9 the recognition got worse. I tried both the Latin American Spanish and the Spanish from Spain recognition options, but neither worked well. (The Spanish from Spain was a little better for my Mexican accent). In the end, I decided it was more work to try to correct/train the software. It's faster to use MT.

Maybe I'll try Speech Recognition sometime in the future when there is specific reco
... See more
I used to work with Dragon a lot and very well from Dragon 5 up until Dragon 8. Since Dragon 9 the recognition got worse. I tried both the Latin American Spanish and the Spanish from Spain recognition options, but neither worked well. (The Spanish from Spain was a little better for my Mexican accent). In the end, I decided it was more work to try to correct/train the software. It's faster to use MT.

Maybe I'll try Speech Recognition sometime in the future when there is specific recognition for Mexican Spanish.

One feature I loved was to have Dragon read the text for me when doing the proofreading of my own translations. Certain types of mistakes like typos are very easily spotted this way. So now I use Balabolka Portable for this.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:10
French to English
+ ...
Dragon all the way Jun 28, 2013

I've been using Dragon for 5/6 years, mainly since I started getting serious RSI problems with my wrist, and having tried changing my mouse, keyboard, computer height, chair, footrest, etc, it was the only thing left to try. I'd also tried acupuncture, etc, but nothing worked until Dragon and hey presto, problem solved!

I just have the standard version and it enables me to type into Word and with both Wordfast and Trados Studio 2009 (just dictate straight into the segment!), althou
... See more
I've been using Dragon for 5/6 years, mainly since I started getting serious RSI problems with my wrist, and having tried changing my mouse, keyboard, computer height, chair, footrest, etc, it was the only thing left to try. I'd also tried acupuncture, etc, but nothing worked until Dragon and hey presto, problem solved!

I just have the standard version and it enables me to type into Word and with both Wordfast and Trados Studio 2009 (just dictate straight into the segment!), although I do sometimes have an issue with Studio where if I pause for too long, it types continental quotation marks and I have to delete them before I continue - however, that's a minor issue and the time savings and productivity gains achieved are huge in comparison. I didn't find it took long to train - maybe 20 minutes/half an hour, although you obviously can't expect it to recognise all highly technical words and I tend to copy foreign words, complicated formulae/acronyms in from source. I also tend to use keyboard shortcuts or the mouse for CAT tool commands rather than dictating them, which can be a bit laborious. I suppose I was used to dictating, having dictated my translations for the typing pool with a dictaphone, when I first started out as an in-house translator, and that aspect may take some getting used to otherwise, but I rarely find I have to correct my sentence constructions when I come to edit. However, I do find it easier to use with straight text, not with spreadsheets or Powerpoint presentations where you have short snatches of text. For some reason, Dragon finds it easier to recognise full sentences rather than individual words.

For the relatively low price, I would definitely recommend anyone who is tempted to have a go - my first version cost me the princely sum of £50, yet when you think it can easily double your output over the course of a day, you can get that outlay back virtually immediately!
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Answer to where the name Dragon came from Jun 29, 2013

I had the privilege of getting to know Janet and Jim Baker, developers of the Dragon software, at a DARPA meeting they hosted at Dragon headquarters outside Boston in the early 1990s. They had converted an old building where sails used to be made, and the top floor was one big loft with some of the apparatus still attached to the ceiling. The interior walls were unfinished brick. I took a lot of photos, in fact. The building had a rooftop where we had lunch. There's a photo of them on their roof... See more
I had the privilege of getting to know Janet and Jim Baker, developers of the Dragon software, at a DARPA meeting they hosted at Dragon headquarters outside Boston in the early 1990s. They had converted an old building where sails used to be made, and the top floor was one big loft with some of the apparatus still attached to the ceiling. The interior walls were unfinished brick. I took a lot of photos, in fact. The building had a rooftop where we had lunch. There's a photo of them on their rooftop and a story about the company's early days at:
http://simson.net/clips/1998.TR.09.EnterTheDragon.pdf

Now, the answer to the question is . . . (drumroll) . . . Janet likes dragons and collects dragon figurines.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not yet available for Hindi Jun 29, 2013

I have the Indian English version of Dragon Naturally Speaking, and have found it to be quite useful, though it takes a bit of getting used to and a lot of training its vocabulary, but once that is done, it is quite accurate.

I have even used it for routine Window operations like opening a file, saving it, closing it, etc.

Unfortunately, Dragon is not available for Hindi, so it is of very limited value for me.

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dragon works from memoQ Jul 1, 2013

Hi Ariffo,

Just to confirm, you can use Dragon directly in memoQ, and it works quite well.

István

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nope Jul 4, 2013

Nope, and last time I had an assistant, I asked her to dictate and I typed.

Hannah Burrow
Hannah Burrow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
French to English
+ ...
Software queries Feb 1, 2016

Hi everyone,

I have had problems with carpal tunnel and should probably have invested in speech recognition software a while ago. Suffice to say, I only purchased it yesterday.

My query relates to technology:

I have a Macbook Air with Parallels 11 which I use to run Windows applications. First of all, I purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 Premium, thinking I could download it using Parallels. The download did not work.

Then, I tried Dragon
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have had problems with carpal tunnel and should probably have invested in speech recognition software a while ago. Suffice to say, I only purchased it yesterday.

My query relates to technology:

I have a Macbook Air with Parallels 11 which I use to run Windows applications. First of all, I purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 Premium, thinking I could download it using Parallels. The download did not work.

Then, I tried Dragon for Mac 5.0. This did download but worked better with Mac applications such as Evernote than it did with the Windows applications running on Parallels. However, I wasn't very impressed with how well it did work even in the Mac applications-it barely recognized anything I said.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any input/suggestions regarding my situation?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Hannah
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use speech recognition software while translating?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »