Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have your own professional website?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 1, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have your own professional website?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marcia Gascon. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:55
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope, but I would like to Nov 1, 2012

have one some time, as soon as I have time ....

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 1, 2012

No, and I don't really plan to have a "professional" one. I've been toying with the notion for ages, maybe ten years or so, and I just don't see the benefits in my case, since I don't think I need to drum up work or "sell" myself any more.

I might eventually get round to making a better "jokey" website though for a laugh, since my old site was a freeby from somewhere or other and got cancelled after a few years.

I've never really considered myself all that "professiona
... See more
No, and I don't really plan to have a "professional" one. I've been toying with the notion for ages, maybe ten years or so, and I just don't see the benefits in my case, since I don't think I need to drum up work or "sell" myself any more.

I might eventually get round to making a better "jokey" website though for a laugh, since my old site was a freeby from somewhere or other and got cancelled after a few years.

I've never really considered myself all that "professional" anyway and I really don't like to see myself as "running a business". I tried the proz website builder a couple of times, but it wasn't idiot-proof enough for me, for example I have no idea what my "pop3" is and can't be bothered finding out. In general, I prefer things stripped down and as minimal as possible. For example, I only use free and easy-to-use webmail services, with all their shortcomings; I don't even use Outlook or any similar mail organisers. Basically, I'll try to do everything as cheaply as possible - except for the translation software I use, which is all paid for and licensed, since I had issues using OpenOffice and for the moment I prefer to keep working with MS Office because it's compatible with my other software tools.

[Edited at 2012-11-01 09:06 GMT]
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
No, I use my ProZ Nov 1, 2012

profile as a website and so far it has served me well. The clients, end clients, who provide the bulk of my income have found and contacted me through my profile.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good enough Nov 1, 2012

Suzan Hamer wrote:

profile as a website and so far it has served me well. The clients, end clients, who provide the bulk of my income have found and contacted me through my profile.

I agree, the proz profile does more or less everything I'd conceivably want from a website, so maybe that's why I never persevered with the website builder, or replaced my first freeby website, which was more or less just a glorified CV with some bespoke cartoons...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 1, 2012

I got my best client ever from my website. I'm glad I invested in it (though it currently needs updating).

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:55
Hebrew to English
Yes....kinda Nov 1, 2012

Like Neil I don't like to take things too seriously, and this is reflected on my website.
Speaking of which, I need to restore it to a pre-Halloween condition!

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Currently working on it Nov 1, 2012

It is quite interesting to see how many responders thus far wouldn't want to have one - I think it sort of goes with the territory of having an online business. I have also unfortunately been the target of a CV scam, and while I don't have a website, I have a "freeby" blog and many clients who would have been duped have found the real me through that medium.
I'm looking forward to having my own website actually - not sure how much it will bring in, but having an established internet prese
... See more
It is quite interesting to see how many responders thus far wouldn't want to have one - I think it sort of goes with the territory of having an online business. I have also unfortunately been the target of a CV scam, and while I don't have a website, I have a "freeby" blog and many clients who would have been duped have found the real me through that medium.
I'm looking forward to having my own website actually - not sure how much it will bring in, but having an established internet presence feels like it just makes sense as a non-office based employee. Currently planning and working out all the details of what is actually going to be on there!
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No, and I don't want one Nov 1, 2012

My profile here on Proz is quite enough for me and I really don't see why I would want/need a website.
Besides, German law would require me to disclose all sorts of information like my address and telephone number and I simply don't want to make that available to any Tom, Dick or Harry out there.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My profile here is fine Nov 1, 2012

Like Suzan Hamer, I find my profile has served me well.
The important thing is the content.

I have seen several 'professional' translator websites with fluttering flags and zooming pictures of Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower and the Little Mermaid or other gimmicks, but apart from the name and languages people work in and a slogan or two, the information on them is minimal.

I am afraid I think immediately of persistent salesmen on the phone and 'Oh, no, not another pers
... See more
Like Suzan Hamer, I find my profile has served me well.
The important thing is the content.

I have seen several 'professional' translator websites with fluttering flags and zooming pictures of Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower and the Little Mermaid or other gimmicks, but apart from the name and languages people work in and a slogan or two, the information on them is minimal.

I am afraid I think immediately of persistent salesmen on the phone and 'Oh, no, not another person who just couldn't put the phone down!'

Professional website providers may fill your site with advertising for themselves and their visual effects, not you, if you don't take over firmly.

Some give surprisingly little contact information ... and no VAT number, for instance.
It's quicker to use the companies register - it loads faster!

Of course, I have also seen neat, informative websites that do tell you what you need to know.
Back to the Proz.com profile... Mine is probably very amateurish, but if that indicates I am a translator, not a DTP expert, then it's not entirely wrong!

[Edited at 2012-11-01 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
No, and I don't want one Nov 1, 2012

There's nothing I would want to put on a website that I can't put on my Proz.com profile. I already have plenty of work coming in consistently so a website seems like an unnecessary expense and hassle to be perfectly honest, since even if it generated extra business, I couldn't take on any more work than I already have, generally.

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 08:55
French to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 1, 2012

For about a year now. But I created it myself and I'd like one day to get it redone professionally. As I did it myself the SEO is not very good.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not yet ... but soon Nov 1, 2012

I hope to be up and running by the start of next year.
I have my text and ideas really and I am taking offers now.

Vibeke Degn-P
Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes, of course! Nov 1, 2012

Yes, of course I have a professional website for my translation business. My profile on Proz is for agencies and other translators. But most of my business comes from far outside the ranks of language professionals. I target businesses that doesn't even know Proz exist. And why on earth would I want to send a potential customer to this site - where he or she can find all my competitors, many of them willing to work for less than what I charge?
No, different sites for different audiences. <
... See more
Yes, of course I have a professional website for my translation business. My profile on Proz is for agencies and other translators. But most of my business comes from far outside the ranks of language professionals. I target businesses that doesn't even know Proz exist. And why on earth would I want to send a potential customer to this site - where he or she can find all my competitors, many of them willing to work for less than what I charge?
No, different sites for different audiences.

[Edited at 2012-11-01 11:38 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Ditto Nov 1, 2012

Vibeke Degn-P wrote:

No, different sites for different audiences.

[Edited at 2012-11-01 11:38 GMT]

The clients that find me through my website and the clients that find me through ProZ are two different things. Why would I ever want to limit myself to only one market?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have your own professional website?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »