Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you work at home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 9, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work at home?".

View the poll results »

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No. I live in my office. Jan 9, 2012

Don't ask me why - I have become allergic to the phrase "working from home". Sounds like a house wife making some money on the side by stuffing envelopes or baking cookies.

No one who has ever worked in this profession - more than full-time and with all the times-zones involved can ever imagine that your home stops being your home as soon as you work there. You can never, ever go home from work and close the door behind you.

We moved into a larger house two years ago.
... See more
Don't ask me why - I have become allergic to the phrase "working from home". Sounds like a house wife making some money on the side by stuffing envelopes or baking cookies.

No one who has ever worked in this profession - more than full-time and with all the times-zones involved can ever imagine that your home stops being your home as soon as you work there. You can never, ever go home from work and close the door behind you.

We moved into a larger house two years ago. Office space is taking up three rooms by now. Telephones everywhere. Wireless network seeping through the walls 24/7. I don't know if this is healthy. Every corner of the house screams: Work! Work! There is no privacy as long as you don't turn off the machines and the phones.

Wow, my grammar sucketh at this time of day. But I won't edit anything. It's 3:20 am and I am at work. At home or at the office?

[Edited at 2012-01-09 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:37
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Office (dining room) Jan 9, 2012

My office is my dining room and when someone asks me "Where do you work"?, I answer that I work in my own office (which is located where my home is).
I don't work from home: I work in my office and the fact that my office is at home is a natural consequence.
The little desk in the centre of the room is full of Cinderella and Mermaid stuff and also of Translation and Semiotics and Communication texts. But it is OK (till now).

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A combined environment Jan 9, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I couldn't agree more with Nicole.

My home is my office, and my office is my home. The only way these two can be separated is when I close the living room door, because then my office space is "looked out". But that hardly every works.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 9, 2012

Thanks goodness!

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Always at home when I am in Jan 9, 2012

A cozy study with everything I need + a sofa.

reem07
reem07
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
SUCCESS Story Jan 9, 2012

Yes,Thank God.I can be a working Mom and a freelancer!!.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes ... Jan 9, 2012

... but there's nothing "homey" with all the associated home distractions - kids and cats crawling around my feet - in my office.

It's a small office/home office without the cubicles but filled with all the paraphernalia needed to run a business - office furniture, bookshelves, storage cabinets, computers, router, hubs and cables, server, network printer/copier/fax, heaps of other hardware, and more importantly, a fridge stuffed full of cold ones to sip back on after a hard day's wo
... See more
... but there's nothing "homey" with all the associated home distractions - kids and cats crawling around my feet - in my office.

It's a small office/home office without the cubicles but filled with all the paraphernalia needed to run a business - office furniture, bookshelves, storage cabinets, computers, router, hubs and cables, server, network printer/copier/fax, heaps of other hardware, and more importantly, a fridge stuffed full of cold ones to sip back on after a hard day's work.

It's my study, my territory and I've rigged it for maximum working comfort.

Happy translating!
Collapse

Helga Lemiere
Helga Lemiere  Identity Verified
France
German to French
SUCESS Story II Jan 9, 2012

Pacsed - Mom - Housewife - German Teacher - Freelancer.....I am Super Woman in my Super Office (12m2) in my Super House

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Jan 9, 2012

but in a separate office in the cellar where I have my peace and quite - with daylight windows, so not the dark and cold cellar, but a freindly and warm one.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Member (2009)
French to English
In my happy place Jan 9, 2012

Years ago, working in an insurance company, I would joke with a coworker about going to my "happy place" whenever the latest unworkable edict came down. Now, I work in my home office. Like Michael Harris, mine is the lowest level of the house, but not quite a basement. Outside my window I have a view of a bird (and squirrel) feeder that gets customers all day long. In place of the steel desks and grey cubicles, I have solid wood furniture and a view of my freshwater aquarium. I have added LED li... See more
Years ago, working in an insurance company, I would joke with a coworker about going to my "happy place" whenever the latest unworkable edict came down. Now, I work in my home office. Like Michael Harris, mine is the lowest level of the house, but not quite a basement. Outside my window I have a view of a bird (and squirrel) feeder that gets customers all day long. In place of the steel desks and grey cubicles, I have solid wood furniture and a view of my freshwater aquarium. I have added LED lighting and decorated the wood paneling in my own eclectic style. Sometimes, I even have a beer in the afternoons - gasp!

This poll is a good one to remind us all that the work can be hard, but the freelance lifestyle has definite advantages.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jan 9, 2012

in what used to be my daughters old bedroom (by then I had a rented office).

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes Jan 9, 2012

It's my study where I have everything I had when I worked in an office plus a sofa bed where I occasionally sleep. It's heaven!

At a room Jan 9, 2012

I work at a room in my house.
In my house there is a room to sleep, another room for my guest to sleep, and another room to lounge, read and watch TV, another one to cook and dine, and lastly (hooooray) a room where I do my freelance translating works.
Question is where I spend the longest of my any given day? Answer -- the room I mentioned last. This room has bookshelves and daybed, and of course computers that connect me to the world. How wonderful...
See more
I work at a room in my house.
In my house there is a room to sleep, another room for my guest to sleep, and another room to lounge, read and watch TV, another one to cook and dine, and lastly (hooooray) a room where I do my freelance translating works.
Question is where I spend the longest of my any given day? Answer -- the room I mentioned last. This room has bookshelves and daybed, and of course computers that connect me to the world. How wonderful
Collapse

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
and I have an outside job Jan 9, 2012

I also work in an office part time so I can eat while waiting to be paid for translation work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work at home?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »