Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is your honest feeling regarding CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:02
Member (2006)
French to English
Time saved is money earned... Jan 27, 2010

CAT tools are great. They save us lots of time and make our translations better.

Before I even purchased it, using the Wordfast demo version saved me at least €1000 worth of time. I downloaded and installed it in minutes, took half a day to figure out how it works and then used the trial version for 5 or 6 months!

5 years later, my return on investment has been about 15,000% (yes, fifteen thousand).

There are a lot of tools out there. Get one, keep it si
... See more
CAT tools are great. They save us lots of time and make our translations better.

Before I even purchased it, using the Wordfast demo version saved me at least €1000 worth of time. I downloaded and installed it in minutes, took half a day to figure out how it works and then used the trial version for 5 or 6 months!

5 years later, my return on investment has been about 15,000% (yes, fifteen thousand).

There are a lot of tools out there. Get one, keep it simple, save time and earn more!
Collapse

James Shipp
James Shipp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:02
Russian to English
The Corporatization of Translation May 16, 2014

The Corporatization of Translation

by James F. Shipp

I love my profession. I have always loved it. That’s why I am extremely concerned by certain unsavory trends in the industry.

CAT Tools
So-called CAT tools are the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on the translation community. They are expensive to obtain and maintain, difficult to learn, and cumbersome to use. They make the translator's task more difficult and diminish the quality of the final produ
... See more
The Corporatization of Translation

by James F. Shipp

I love my profession. I have always loved it. That’s why I am extremely concerned by certain unsavory trends in the industry.

CAT Tools
So-called CAT tools are the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on the translation community. They are expensive to obtain and maintain, difficult to learn, and cumbersome to use. They make the translator's task more difficult and diminish the quality of the final product, as well as its value. They cannot perform essential Internet research, work with scanned documents, or manipulate graphics. They are not intuitive, as a translator must be. They are demeaning to the translator as a human being.

Circular Translation
So-called circular translation is a process wherein a completed translation comes back to the translator, sometimes weeks after its submittal, so the translator can “edit the editor”. The translator is expected to halt paying translation work and perform this nontranslation task free of charge. First of all, I am not an editor, I am a translator. You don’t ask a barber to trim your nails, you ask a manicurist. Secondly, once a translation containing my best effort leaves my desk, it is up to the client, the client’s editor, the end client, and the end client’s editor to make any changes in it. I am eager to learn and I always appreciate feedback on my work, but it is not my job as a translator to do perform this task for you.

Workflow Systems
The advent of so-called workflow systems has begun to impact my work. The client sets up an internal system whereby you are expected to download source documents, then upload target documents and invoices, effectively shifting document control functions to the translator for no extra pay. First of all, you end up with an entire Rolodex full of user IDs and passwords for the various workflow systems of different clients. Secondly, what could possibly be easier than the original time-tested system: You e-mail me a source document, I e-mail you a target document, and you mail me a check.

Deadlines
If the client agrees to an impossible end client deadline, that is not my problem. I already work from 5:00 a.m. till 7:00 p.m., seven days a week, 365 days a year, sometimes longer. I generate at least 4,000 premium words a day. I am not willing to do more than that for any amount of money and you cannot seek to shame me into doing it.

Editing
An extremely disturbing trend in the translation industry is the editing of source>target documents by target>source translators. This is impermissible. If, say, an E>R translator was qualified to edit R>E work, he or she would then be an R>E translator. If they are not competent to translate it, they are certainly not competent to edit it. Who would you most trust to repair your car ... a mechanic or a counter clerk at an auto parts store?

Payment
Newly emerging clients keep trying to get me to work by the source word. This is like paying a carpenter for the wood he uses rather than the house he builds. I must be paid for the words I actually produce, not the words from which I produce them. I will not sustain a 35% loss of pay because you have made a source word deal with your client.
Some clients are on a 45- or 60-day pay cycle. This is ridiculous. They want their translations “yesterday”, then expect me to wait as much as two months to get paid. All my creditors are on a 30-day cycle, so I must be as well. I allow 30 days for payment, plus 5 days mail time. This is far more reasonable than the deadlines I am given. Quid pro quo.

Translator-Client Relations
The client is buying the translator’s product. The translator is the vendor. As such, the transaction terms belong to the translator. You don’t by a TV or a refrigerator, then tell the seller how you intend to pay for it. The same thing is true of a translation. Translators are not employees, but independent contractors. The lack of benefits and the existence of heavy tax bills prove this. Do not let a “customer” bully you in your own “store”.

I have been a paid professional translator for 46 years. I have championed translator rights for almost half a century. I helped found the only true translators’ union in the country (which has foundered due to lack of community support, but continues to breathe). If you want me to keep quiet about the dignity and integrity of translators, I’m sorry, but you’ll have to wait a few more years until I shuffle off to that Great Translantorium in the sky.

Good translating,
Jim Shipp
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your honest feeling regarding CAT tools?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »