Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 18, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?".

This poll was originally submitted by Kristina Radziulyte

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?".

This poll was originally submitted by Kristina Radziulyte

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:26
English to Italian
other Dec 18, 2009

I finished and sent a translation. and I went to a birthday lunch, I checked on my mobile if the client had received the translation, and I found an email... a minor change needed to be done, but urgently. Well asked him to send me the file, and did it through my mobile.
anyway only that time!

Abdulvahed
Abdulvahed  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 20:56
English to Persian (Farsi)
wasting time Dec 18, 2009

It,s just wasting time when there are a lot of tranlation work to do in other ways

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:26
German to English
+ ...
Just once Dec 18, 2009

A client had an urgent two-sentence translation and I had to go out, so got them to send the text in an e-mail and sent it back from the phone. Which was much harder than it sounded and I won't be doing it again in a hurry!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Other Dec 18, 2009

I don't have a mobile phone!

Stéphanie

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I answered No but... Dec 18, 2009

maybe I should have chosen Other: I'm like Stéphanie, I don't have a mobile phone!

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Dec 18, 2009

With Stéphanie and Sophie: I don't have a mobile phone, either.
Are we the last dinosaurs?

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Only verbally Dec 18, 2009

I answered "no", as my mobile phone is very basic and doesn't have any e-mail functions, etc.

But I have just remembered that I have translated a couple of short sentences over the (mobile) phone for a client who suddenly and urgently needed an addition to the text while I was out of the office.

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Luddites? Dec 18, 2009

Have you ever noticed how people who don't own a mobile phone seem inordinately proud of the fact? I assume they also translate using typewriters.

Kimberly Wastler
Kimberly Wastler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Once and that was enough! Dec 18, 2009

I did the same as Mary - a short translation but I got it by SMS and sent it back by SMS: a horror for both of us! Avoid doing at all costs!

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I have a mobile phone but... Dec 18, 2009

To tell the truth, I do have a mobile phone where mail settings may be synchronized with my PC but... I have never done it! Seems to be such a huge matter.

If only I were more efficient some times!

(Gianluca and Mary: you are great!)

Ciao
Susanna

Chiara Righele
Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
No, but... Dec 18, 2009

I answered no because it wasn't exactly a job...

Some friends of mine were in Ireland last Summer and they had a small accident (they just broke their side-view mirror). They had to report that to the car rental, so they sent me an SMS asking for the translation of a short sentence... I answerd with an SMS and that was it.
I'm not sure I'll be able to do a longer translation only via mobile though...

Chiara

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once Dec 18, 2009

I've done it once. The client asked for a couple of words in a text message. It was sort of like trying to answer one of those Kudoz questions that comes with little or no context.

I agree with those who've said it's best to avoid this type of translation.

PS. I obviously have a mobile, but it's probably the most ignored electronic device in the world. It is great, however, as a flashlight and alarm clock....
See more
I've done it once. The client asked for a couple of words in a text message. It was sort of like trying to answer one of those Kudoz questions that comes with little or no context.

I agree with those who've said it's best to avoid this type of translation.

PS. I obviously have a mobile, but it's probably the most ignored electronic device in the world. It is great, however, as a flashlight and alarm clock.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 18, 2009

But I was asked to and it could've been a nightmare.

To explain: sitting in a plane about to shut off the mobile, an SMS comes in asking for a bit of text that had sprung out of format in the notes to a PPT. Fortunately, I had the laptop with me and was able to resolve the problem -- already from the other side of the Atlantic.

I agree with John about the alarm clock, and it's a handy camera. (Also does video...
See more
But I was asked to and it could've been a nightmare.

To explain: sitting in a plane about to shut off the mobile, an SMS comes in asking for a bit of text that had sprung out of format in the notes to a PPT. Fortunately, I had the laptop with me and was able to resolve the problem -- already from the other side of the Atlantic.

I agree with John about the alarm clock, and it's a handy camera. (Also does video)
Collapse

Alvaro Aliaga
Alvaro Aliaga  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love my BlackBerry Dec 18, 2009

It has saved my butt quite a few times like one time when my laptop suddenly disconnected from the Internet and wouldn't connect back no matter what. I had finished the translations and in the middle of the night it was my only way out so I sent the files using it. Also when you are riding trains or when you are away from the city and there is no Wi-Fi available, cell phones can always connect through the data service. If you really know how to use your cell phone, it can be a great asset and of... See more
It has saved my butt quite a few times like one time when my laptop suddenly disconnected from the Internet and wouldn't connect back no matter what. I had finished the translations and in the middle of the night it was my only way out so I sent the files using it. Also when you are riding trains or when you are away from the city and there is no Wi-Fi available, cell phones can always connect through the data service. If you really know how to use your cell phone, it can be a great asset and of great help in desperate situations.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »