Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Luddite by necessity Dec 18, 2009

Jon O wrote:

Have you ever noticed how people who don't own a mobile phone seem inordinately proud of the fact? I assume they also translate using typewriters.

Vermont is a beautiful, mountainous state -- population 600,000. At least half of us have no cell tower within reach. For emergencies, I keep my hand-held radio (I'm a licensed ham radio operator) in my car. How retro, right?
KB1NB0

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
German to English
+ ...
Couldn't do it! Dec 18, 2009

Whilst I admire those of you that are still free of the trappings of mobile phones, I couldn't do it myself. Only this morning I was checking my e-mail as I was travelling down the escalator at the supermarket.

I've had an e-mail phone for about a year and in the last year my income has increased substantially. I'd like to think the two were linked, maybe I'm deluding myself. In this business, being able to respond quickly appears to be key.

But I would still never atte
... See more
Whilst I admire those of you that are still free of the trappings of mobile phones, I couldn't do it myself. Only this morning I was checking my e-mail as I was travelling down the escalator at the supermarket.

I've had an e-mail phone for about a year and in the last year my income has increased substantially. I'd like to think the two were linked, maybe I'm deluding myself. In this business, being able to respond quickly appears to be key.

But I would still never attempt to complete another translation on my phone!
Collapse

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 16:50
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
Interpretation Dec 19, 2009

I only interpreted discussions on the mobile.

Does this mean "wireless connection"? If it is about a text message, it takes longer to type, so I would not take such an offer. And nobody would try to ask such a job.
For the future invention, it sounds interesting!

[Edited at 2009-12-19 00:42 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a dinosaur, not a luddite... Dec 19, 2009

For many years I had a cell phone with all the bells and whistles, but I found I wasn't using it.
Since I spend most of my time in my office at home and live alone with my dogs, the only thing I needed it for was roadside assistance. But the two times when I needed roadside assistance the battery was dead!

So I gave it up about a year ago to save money. It was almost $700 down the drain. I realize this isn't wise, so I may get one again sooner or later.

Anyway, i
... See more
For many years I had a cell phone with all the bells and whistles, but I found I wasn't using it.
Since I spend most of my time in my office at home and live alone with my dogs, the only thing I needed it for was roadside assistance. But the two times when I needed roadside assistance the battery was dead!

So I gave it up about a year ago to save money. It was almost $700 down the drain. I realize this isn't wise, so I may get one again sooner or later.

Anyway, it was a cute Quick Poll question!
Collapse

Karel Kosman
Karel Kosman  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:50
Czech to English
+ ...
sure Dec 21, 2009

I've been quite mobile for a long time. I'm a computer geek so I like to stay on top of technology. For my previous smart phone I bought an external, collapsable keyboard. I was climbing some cliffs, got a job, pulled it off quickly from my pocket, and back to climbing. For translations it is important to always be available for your customers, otherwise you might force them to look elsewhere one day and then you might lose them. Keep them depending on you. Mostly all smart phones these days can... See more
I've been quite mobile for a long time. I'm a computer geek so I like to stay on top of technology. For my previous smart phone I bought an external, collapsable keyboard. I was climbing some cliffs, got a job, pulled it off quickly from my pocket, and back to climbing. For translations it is important to always be available for your customers, otherwise you might force them to look elsewhere one day and then you might lose them. Keep them depending on you. Mostly all smart phones these days can do what a Blackberry does. I personally like Windows based because generally more software is available for it. But one thing I would like to suggest is check out gmail (google's mail). Absolutely fantastic. It can spellcheck in many languages, save files online as google docs, hooks up to your mobile phone as IMAP so that the transfer costs are minimal... Many reasons. Its got tons of features if you check out its Labs. 7 gigs of free space, mail forwarding, use its smtp server... just tons of stuff. Those newish mini computers are also great. Things will only get smaller and faster. Nothing like lying on a beach, satisfy an important client, and then jump in for a swim. I've even figured out how to run my agency from my pocket, searching my database online, choose who I want to approach, write a letter and use a server to blast off all the emails once I disconnect - for minimal transfer costs. Forward attachments without having to download/upload, preview attachments through gmail with minimal transfer... One of the reasons I like the translation profession is because it allows me freedom of time and location, and for that I found smartphones an indispensible tool. For three years I've been living in my home made caravan, solar panels on roof, hispeed internet through mobile phone (which in that case serves as a modem for my computer), and driving from beach to beach. Can't complain. Then when I go to a restaurant etc. I can continue checking my mail from my pocket. This toy is my favourite and gives me total freedom.Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:50
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
yes, on pocket pc and on mobile phone Mar 17, 2010

I did approx half of the following project on a Pocket PC
https://www.box.net/shared/otqqi2gc8h

and I do a lot of more recent work on both Pocket PC and on my mobile since I spend a lot of few hours of time in the train and subway each day.

[Edited at 2010-03-17 07:09 GMT]

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:50
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
:) Feb 10, 2016

Once I wanted to try doing this on a soap box, but it did not have any connection to the Internet. So, I could not download the files and gave up the idea...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »