Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No, but... Dec 18, 2009

I've done many translations on my 10" HP netbook and sent the files from its 3G mobile modem when I was on the go.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:52
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Help! Dec 18, 2009

I really must learn to use a mobile phone...

It´s a long story. I had one for emergencies and hated it. My husband gave me an ´easier´ one, which I am almost totally unable to use, but the old one took offence and died of neglect. I´m working on it. We discovered the torch the other day.

As for using it to translate, I need a screen where I can find incoming messages for a start! I have difficulty
... See more
I really must learn to use a mobile phone...

It´s a long story. I had one for emergencies and hated it. My husband gave me an ´easier´ one, which I am almost totally unable to use, but the old one took offence and died of neglect. I´m working on it. We discovered the torch the other day.

As for using it to translate, I need a screen where I can find incoming messages for a start! I have difficulty hearing the mobile - and I am NOT deaf.

Folks, if I learn to use the new Trados, that will be quite enough technical revolution for the next year - I wish ...

I try to explain that I´m a translator, not an IT nerd or electrician or DTP expert. But I have a niggling feeling that the mobile might be worth more effort. Last Christmas I conquered Wordfast all by myself. Maybe I should learn to use the dreaded mobile during the break this year! But don´t send me translation jobs that way, please
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't have a cell phone. Dec 18, 2009

Jon O wrote:

Have you ever noticed how people who don't own a mobile phone seem inordinately proud of the fact? I assume they also translate using typewriters.

Maybe because they have telephones in their office and / or take their wireless highend-laptops with them when they are on the road?

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not ideal Dec 18, 2009

I have done a couple of small jobs via text message for favourite clients, in emergencies only.

The most exceptional phone translation was over my landline in the middle of a 36-hour regional power black out - dying laptop battery, no mobile phone (the masts had been knocked out too), no water and no heating apart from a wood stove... but the landline worked - so I ended up "delivering" a translation of a wedding certificate via an international landline call, thanks to an understa
... See more
I have done a couple of small jobs via text message for favourite clients, in emergencies only.

The most exceptional phone translation was over my landline in the middle of a 36-hour regional power black out - dying laptop battery, no mobile phone (the masts had been knocked out too), no water and no heating apart from a wood stove... but the landline worked - so I ended up "delivering" a translation of a wedding certificate via an international landline call, thanks to an understanding client.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Or maybe... Dec 18, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jon O wrote:

Have you ever noticed how people who don't own a mobile phone seem inordinately proud of the fact? I assume they also translate using typewriters.

Maybe because they have telephones in their office and / or take their wireless highend-laptops with them when they are on the road?

... they work in their office and take real time off when they leave it

BTW, have you ever noticed many people seem to consider that technicalities stand for (translation) quality?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I absolutely agree, Interlanguage. Dec 18, 2009

Interlangue wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jon O wrote:

... they work in their office and take real time off when they leave it

BTW, have you ever noticed many people seem to consider that technicalities stand for (translation) quality?

There is nothing to add.

BR,

Nicole

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Dec 18, 2009

Jon O wrote:

People like to be members of exclusive clubs. I don't translate with my cell phone, but I do use it to be in contact with family and friends.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:52
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no mobile Dec 18, 2009

and no not a luddite at all! i love technology and gadgets. I might get a mobile this year but i honestly haven't had that much of a need for it, so why spend the money? i probably wouldn't use it that much.

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
"ROOOAAARRR" from another dinosaur! Dec 18, 2009

I don't have a mobile phone - not much point here up in the mountains where there's little network coverage, and long may it stay that way!

It's too easy to confuse "availability" with "efficacy". I'm sure the possiblility of instantly sending documents via the internet is behind a lot of rush-jobs, same with many unnecessary e-mails and mobile phone calls. People no longer bother to think ahead, so don't organise themselves or their work, and everything takes place in a permanent
... See more
I don't have a mobile phone - not much point here up in the mountains where there's little network coverage, and long may it stay that way!

It's too easy to confuse "availability" with "efficacy". I'm sure the possiblility of instantly sending documents via the internet is behind a lot of rush-jobs, same with many unnecessary e-mails and mobile phone calls. People no longer bother to think ahead, so don't organise themselves or their work, and everything takes place in a permanent atmosphere of panic. This wastes a lot of everybody's time.

I might not use a typewriter (at least I know how to!), but I do still do part of some projects on paper. The first thing I do with most documents is to print a copy, which I can look at in relaxed fashion over a cup of tea. We have frequent power cuts here in winter and with a "hard copy" I can even work by candle-light, or in summer out in the garden listening to the birds and not the whirr of a computer. Working on paper is much easier on the eyes too, as is comparing pages and different documents (on-screen windows are never big enough!).

I am still VERY happy to work from PAPER documents delivered (and returned) by post, carrier pigeon, liveried footman, or whatever. Write it with a quill on parchment or carve it on a tablet of stone, and Wordeffect can still handle it! =)

BTW, the dinosaurs were very successful and ruled the earth for a long time.
Collapse

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Labour Dec 18, 2009

I had to edit a two-sentence text on my Blackberry once when I was in labour on a labour ward! Would you believe that?! The client was very good and it was urgent, all part of the fun!

Jessica Cade
Jessica Cade
United States
English to French
+ ...
Blackberry is THE phone Dec 18, 2009

With Blackberry you can do anything. There's was a power outage. A Client asked me if I could do a 500 word translation. I said ok (I was out getting groceries so I didn't know about the outage). So I used my Blackberry (with has MS Word/Excel/ PPT). I translated the doc, send it to my brother in France so he can use the spell checker. He send it back, I did some changes and sent it to the client. The outage lasted for one day but the internet didn't come back on at the same time. So all my proj... See more
With Blackberry you can do anything. There's was a power outage. A Client asked me if I could do a 500 word translation. I said ok (I was out getting groceries so I didn't know about the outage). So I used my Blackberry (with has MS Word/Excel/ PPT). I translated the doc, send it to my brother in France so he can use the spell checker. He send it back, I did some changes and sent it to the client. The outage lasted for one day but the internet didn't come back on at the same time. So all my projects were transfered onto my Blackberry, then form my Blackberry to the Computer and when I was done translating I used my Blackberry as an internet modem. If you don't have a Blackberry you should get one, mine really helps me a lot when Im on the go and I have to check my emails, do quick translations and such. Plus now the MS Suite has spell checker and word count.Collapse

Carolina Mendez
Carolina Mendez  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Blackberry: Excellent Tool Dec 18, 2009

Hi,
On this topic I would like to add that I have used my Blackberry to translate for more than 1 year and a half when I am waiting at airports or waiting for my turn at different places. It has proven to be a time saver.
Depending on my clients' need, I translate the document and send it back.
On some other occasions, when the documents need it, I translate it and e-mail it to me. Then, back to my laptop or PC, I would proofread it and edit it further.
Regards,
C
... See more
Hi,
On this topic I would like to add that I have used my Blackberry to translate for more than 1 year and a half when I am waiting at airports or waiting for my turn at different places. It has proven to be a time saver.
Depending on my clients' need, I translate the document and send it back.
On some other occasions, when the documents need it, I translate it and e-mail it to me. Then, back to my laptop or PC, I would proofread it and edit it further.
Regards,
Carolina
Go Green
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Dec 18, 2009

It's impossible for me, as I don't have a mobile phone.

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
English to Croatian
+ ...
mobile translator? Dec 18, 2009

...you must be kidding.

I have the mobile phone with more features than my laptop but...

...I consider myself a serious translator. I do not even trust a mobile mechanic, let alone...

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
BlackBerry, too Dec 18, 2009

I do a few regular publications which are subject to a strict copy deadline and schedule. So I take my mobile on holiday to check email on a regular basis if I know that one of these is due while I am away. In most cases, I do the upload/download of the files in an internet cafe or a public wifi hotspot, but if the need arises, I could also use my mobile phone for that task.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever done a translation or editing job using your mobile phone?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »