Thread poster: Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2014

I am currently translating .srt files in OmegaT. The source language is English and the target language is Traditional Chinese. As far as I can tell, the source files are encoded in UTF-8 when I open them in a text editor.

However, my system locale is Japanese, and when I try to export the files, what comes out only displays correctly if I changed the encoding to SHIFT-JIS, not UTF-8. I can copy & paste and re-save the file in UTF-8, of course, but is there a way to force OmegaT to
... See more
I am currently translating .srt files in OmegaT. The source language is English and the target language is Traditional Chinese. As far as I can tell, the source files are encoded in UTF-8 when I open them in a text editor.

However, my system locale is Japanese, and when I try to export the files, what comes out only displays correctly if I changed the encoding to SHIFT-JIS, not UTF-8. I can copy & paste and re-save the file in UTF-8, of course, but is there a way to force OmegaT to export the target file in UTF-8?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, tell OmegaT the encoding Dec 30, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:
However, my system locale is Japanese, and when I try to export the files, what comes out only displays correctly if I changed the encoding to SHIFT-JIS, not UTF-8.

The encoding in the file filter that you're using for the SRT files is likely set to "auto" (i.e. use the system locale's default encoding).

In OmegaT, go to Options > File Filters, and then select the filter that you're using (I guess "SubRip Subtitles"), and click the Edit button. There you can set the encoding of the source file (if you're certain they're UTF8, then set the source setting to UTF8) and of the target file (also set it to UTF8).

[Edited at 2014-12-30 15:48 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:40
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success Dec 30, 2014

Thanks Samuel!

Linus Brown
Linus Brown
Italy
very helpful Jul 5, 2015

Lincoln Hui wrote:

In OmegaT, go to Options > File Filters, and then select (...)

[Edited at 2014-12-30 15:48 GMT]

Thank you!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Encoding issues

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »