Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2014

Hello Everybody!

I'm frequently asked what I do on my "off" days. LOL. Not that we translators ever really have a day off in a global 24/7 economy, but... here's to the lighter side of life outside of my translation activities, which keeps me going, i.e., MUSIC... and arts (designed the cover - DTP skills at work!!!)

That said, here's a little morning music to get your day started, i.e., my quick 244th birthday tribute to Ludwig van Beethoven who was born on or around t
... See more
Hello Everybody!

I'm frequently asked what I do on my "off" days. LOL. Not that we translators ever really have a day off in a global 24/7 economy, but... here's to the lighter side of life outside of my translation activities, which keeps me going, i.e., MUSIC... and arts (designed the cover - DTP skills at work!!!)

That said, here's a little morning music to get your day started, i.e., my quick 244th birthday tribute to Ludwig van Beethoven who was born on or around this day (Dec 16th) in 1770... and my far reaching attempt to play some decent piano. Click to listen for free! Enjoy!

Ninth Fantasy on "Ode to Joy" for Piano & Symphony Orchestra, by Bryan A. Crumpler

[Edited at 2014-12-16 14:10 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
On the other hand.... Dec 16, 2014

Another option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT3kCVFFLNg

And Happy Birthday to the great LVB.

[Edited at 2014-12-16 14:15 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Ode to freedom Dec 16, 2014

The "ode to joy" (joy (En) = Freude (De)) was first intended to be an "ode to freedom" (freedom (En) = Freiheit (De)) but that was politically risky - political rulers don't want the people to have freedom - they just want them to be joyful.

After I wrote the words above, I did a little Internet search and found this confirmation: The author of the poem (Friedrich Schiller, in 1785) replaced Freiheit by Freude - I found this i
... See more
The "ode to joy" (joy (En) = Freude (De)) was first intended to be an "ode to freedom" (freedom (En) = Freiheit (De)) but that was politically risky - political rulers don't want the people to have freedom - they just want them to be joyful.

After I wrote the words above, I did a little Internet search and found this confirmation: The author of the poem (Friedrich Schiller, in 1785) replaced Freiheit by Freude - I found this in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_to_Joy

Oliver
Collapse

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freedom!!!! Dec 16, 2014

Oliver Walter wrote:

political rulers don't want the people to have freedom - they just want them to be joyful

Learning something new every day! The power of positive (joyful) thinking goes a long way when you're always bogged down by people (in the Carlo M Cipolla kinda way, Lol!!!!)

[Edited at 2014-12-16 15:07 GMT]

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Dec 16, 2014

Beautiful music, Bryan - thanks for sharing. I play music in my spare time, too, but my violin-playing is nowhere near as talented as your piano playing.

Eleonora Chyc
Eleonora Chyc  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 17, 2014

Thanks for sharing,Bryan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy Birthday Beethoven! A new take on "Ode to Joy"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »