Off topic: Here it is, your moment of clarity (or zenity if you like)
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
English to German
+ ...
Apr 17, 2014

Ripped from a translation job portal (names and some words have been changed without altering the meaning to protect the professionals who posted the job):

Dear Translator:
We are looking for a German into French translator to translate answers to open-ended questions from a health questionnaire. The text is very easy. There are 1200 words to translate and we will need this file tomorrow morning, Friday, 9.30 am (French Time).

Please quote the rate per so
... See more
Ripped from a translation job portal (names and some words have been changed without altering the meaning to protect the professionals who posted the job):

Dear Translator:
We are looking for a German into French translator to translate answers to open-ended questions from a health questionnaire. The text is very easy. There are 1200 words to translate and we will need this file tomorrow morning, Friday, 9.30 am (French Time).

Please quote the rate per source word when applying.

Please ensure you read and agree to the below conditions before you apply:

-We do not send POs. You will have to forward your invoice at the end of each month summarizing all the jobs done during that invoiced month.
-Payment is made within 60 days via bank transfer for UBE accounts or Paypal for non UBE accounts (Payment of April jobs is made in early June). Please note we do not pay Paypal fees.

XCVFSG Trans

Reply: Template

Dear XCVFSG Trans:

I] m very interrested in project. Will make the translation very fast I need not PO because you seem to be completely trustworthy. Thank you for letting me quote per words, it's my favourite way of quoting. I will gladly wait til end of this month to send you summary of all my jobs done up until then, Since I am not in UE, PayPal is great way to receive monies, especially if I get more job til end of month so you can pay all job together - and I receive the money altogether in 60 days from April 30 or more sooner - in early June, right? I am happy to pay all PayPal fees, especially if I earn more money working for you until April end. You seem to have clear system for payment. I see that some of feedback you have had to do with late payment (I have same problem often when paying my bils) - so I want to assure you that I am good to wait for whenever you're ready to pay - especially if you have more job for me.
As far as my rate in EUROS is concerned, I have worked for translation firm like you before and I quote you same rate in hope to get this job - EUR .03/words.
I do hope we have long and interchangingly goode businesses. My resume is attaching.

Best,

Hav Bin Had, B. Fore (B.Fore is proofreader)

[Edited at 2014-04-17 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
B. Fore Apr 17, 2014

(B.Fore is proofreader)

Fantastic!

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:16
English to Czech
+ ...
More Bitter than Sweet Apr 17, 2014

I can see there are more and more people fed up with recent job postings...
Anyway, although it is fun to read, it makes me shiver eventually...
I wish all of us get some more decent job offers in the future!

[Edited at 2014-04-17 20:13 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
You've got the knack, Bernhard Apr 17, 2014

I can "hear" their accent in such job posts, but I haven't got the knack to do it myself.
You most certainly have.

Perhaps some cheap Western agency will hire you to rewrite their job posts to sound Far Eastern, so they'll attract translators with lower rates.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Payment terms Apr 19, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

....You will have to forward your invoice at the end of each month summarizing all the jobs done during that invoiced month. -Payment is made within 60 days...

In other words, if I complete a translation on May 2, I will not be paid until August 1 or 90 days.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Here it is, your moment of clarity (or zenity if you like)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »