Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Agency refusing to issue a PO for $1050 worth project?
Thread poster: JParkBod
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:48
English to German
+ ...
Take this to heart Aug 4, 2017

JParkBod wrote:

As you well guessed, I haven't started on this project.

And thank you all for your kind advice.
I have insisted on getting a PO, and they issued an open PO without adding any of assigned hours (resulting the amount due to be 0), since they are not sure how much hours of audio I will complete until the deadline. The negotiation on the PO continues....

You always need to at least estimate the amount you will charge for a project if you can't specify the exact amount - and do this before you start. But you need to at least specify an hourly rate on which you will base the estimate, the amount of the down payment (especially important for a first project for an agency), the final fee, and, most importantly, the PO which needs to be issued and received before you start your work.

This is already an agency that you cannot trust. Your own due diligence has told you that. I would never recommend working for them.

Also, you should always have a PO in hand before you start working, no matter which agency. It's part of running a professional business.
Any agency refusing your request is not to be trusted.

You have a PO set at 0? Ridiculous. Payment terms 45 days? Forget it. You'll wait forever. Simply refuse to carry out the project.

[Edited at 2017-08-04 09:17 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
One PO for all future projects Aug 4, 2017

JParkBod wrote:

As you well guessed, I haven't started on this project.

And thank you all for your kind advice.
I have insisted on getting a PO, and they issued an open PO without adding any of assigned hours (resulting the amount due to be 0), since they are not sure how much hours of audio I will complete until the deadline. The negotiation on the PO continues....

A PO can be left open in regards to however many future projects there might be. But it mustn't be left open in regards to your rate, per word, per hours, or per audio minute.

You could politely ask them to send you a contract that stipulates your hourly/per word rate. If they refuse, then you just simply send them their project back - untouched, and ask them to please refrain from ever contacting you again with anything. Surely you don't need a customer with a negative reputation, never knowing when or if you'll get paid.

Also, a monthly payment could easily amount to up to 75 days that you might have to wait to get paid. How much would your bank charge for a 75 days' loan? Regarding the amount, it sounds like a nice amount, but how long can you afford to wait for it? Till the 12th of Never according to their BB record.

You are the service provider, so setting the terms is your prerogative, not the customers.

[Edited at 2017-08-04 16:21 GMT]

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
The reason given is this one Aug 4, 2017

JParkBod wrote:

But the agency is keep repeating that they SHARE PO with other projects I MIGHT do during the rest of this month.

the size of the job is known.

[Modifié le 2017-08-04 10:21 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Click! Aug 4, 2017

JParkBod wrote:
Dearest colleagues,
I've just got a transcription project for an agency located in India...

Click! Disconnected!

(I do not mean to be rude, but all Indian agencies I have dealt with so far, with no exception, failed to sustain sensible business standards, especially when they received what they needed and time came for them to honour their commitments. Hopefully Indian companies will globally improve their standards in the following years.)

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Don't Aug 5, 2017

When you have a client who pays late, it can be difficult to get your money when you are both in the same country, or economic zone. If your client is in a different country and you need to pursue them to be paid, it will cost more time and money than it's worth.

Your instinct is protecting you here. Listen to your instinct.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency refusing to issue a PO for $1050 worth project?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »