Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 27, 2017

I wonder if ever a client has been able to prove that a freelancer has used external material like machine translation on a project, where the client forbid this use in the NDA.

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
English to German
Yes Jul 27, 2017

I know about an incident where this happend. In Trados Studio, you can see if e.g. Google Translate was used, when the translator adds it as a TM. You just need to hover over the match category to the left of the target segment, and Studio will display the name of the TM etc. From that, the client was able to tell that the translator used open source machine translation. Of course that is only possible if the client himself also uses Trados Studio. In the case I am aware of, it was indeed a brea... See more
I know about an incident where this happend. In Trados Studio, you can see if e.g. Google Translate was used, when the translator adds it as a TM. You just need to hover over the match category to the left of the target segment, and Studio will display the name of the TM etc. From that, the client was able to tell that the translator used open source machine translation. Of course that is only possible if the client himself also uses Trados Studio. In the case I am aware of, it was indeed a breach of the NDA, although with no further consequences (luckily).Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NDA - external material

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »