Thread poster: Phoenix III
Phoenix III
Phoenix III  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 1, 2017

I received an offer from a client to localize a monolingual advertising campaign from one variant to another. I have no idea what to charge since all of my localization projects have included translation and so, my usual translation rates applied. In this case, there is no translation so I'm lost and need your help. TIA

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Charge an hourly rate May 1, 2017

Based on actual time spent. Simple.

Phoenix III
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not so. May 1, 2017

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Based on actual time spent. Simple.

Sorry, but the client needs to know the rate before he/she authorizes the job. I can't exactly go and them after the fact, a given rate and risk having them tell me that it is totally out of their budget. On the other hand, I want to charge an average rate, not too high and not below the market either. Thanks for your reply.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:52
German to Turkish
+ ...
Review rate May 1, 2017

In that case, I would charge using my rate for review (since I am usually charging per hour for reviews, I would need to give an as correct as possible estimate + %10 to 15 for any miscalculations to be on the safe side).

Phoenix III
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense! May 1, 2017

I should not spend that much time on it, it's not a translation... sounds good to me! Thanks for responding!

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:52
German to Turkish
+ ...
You're welcome :) May 1, 2017

Phoenix III wrote:

I should not spend that much time on it, it's not a translation... sounds good to me! Thanks for responding!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »