Local time: 03:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The "other" options are not for us Dec 5, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Other options exist
http://tinyurl.com/uggq

I.e. www.paypalsucks.com. This anti-paypal site touts www.merchantinc.com/. MerchantInc isn't meant for people who get paid via invoice, but rather for people who sell things online. Use MerchantInc if your clients are non-business customers who would like to pay by clicking a "pay" button on a web page.

Other options exist
http://tinyurl.com/2joo7

I.e. www.paypalwarning.com. This anti-paypal site is basically an advertisement for www.screw-paypal.com/alternatives/alternatives.html. None of the "alternatives" that they recommend are meant for people who get paid via invoice, but rather for people who sell things online. In fact, they specifically mention that these services are "for e-bay" sellers. Use their "recommended" services if your clients are non-business customers who would like to pay by clicking a "pay" button on a web page.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:39
German to English
Western Union online payments Dec 5, 2016

Western Union did a bunch of poster advertising here in Germany several months ago, and I think that they have developed some new or substantially modified products to compete with PayPal.

I don't have the time to look into it, because I have worked for exactly one client outside the SEPA zone in seven years of working as a translator (and that was my sister-in-law), but Western Union does offer online payment services and there is a "business" category on their website.

... See more
Western Union did a bunch of poster advertising here in Germany several months ago, and I think that they have developed some new or substantially modified products to compete with PayPal.

I don't have the time to look into it, because I have worked for exactly one client outside the SEPA zone in seven years of working as a translator (and that was my sister-in-law), but Western Union does offer online payment services and there is a "business" category on their website.

It might be worth looking into what they actually offer, particularly since PayPal has set the bar about as low as possible regarding pretty much any aspect you can think of, with the exception of brand awareness.
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 04:39
English to Romanian
WU 5 years ago Dec 5, 2016

Back in 2011, I received EUR 200 as a gift via Western Union from an acquaintance of mine living in Germany at that time. She had to pay EUR 40 as WU fee. It seemed huge.

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you for the heads-up re WU online payments Dec 5, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:

It might be worth looking into what they actually offer, particularly since PayPal has set the bar about as low as possible regarding pretty much any aspect you can think of, with the exception of brand awareness.

Thank you Michael for mentioning WU online payments. The personal payments look like a good alternative for sending money between individuals. The business section does not look very clear, and I don't think it can readily give you the ability to receive money as a business.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bank account Dec 5, 2016

Anne Savaris wrote:

Hi,

what do you guys do to avoid/diminish payment fees? I really don't believe I am the only one thinking that U$ 90 fees on U$ 1230 payment is too much!! What do you use, instead? I'm in Brazil and receive payments from USA and Europe from most clients... Thanks a lot!!

I use a USD bank account that I opened at my UK-based bank. I also hold GBP and EUR bank accounts. There is a monthly maintenance fee, but it's nothing compared to PayPal's predatory fees. This will work, of course, for 1000+ amounts. Otherwise you are better off with PayPal.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:39
Russian to English
+ ...
back to TransferWise Dec 7, 2016

I didn't read all the long posts about TransferWise.com, but I've used it twice now to receive money from Europe (to the U.S., so my client pays in euros, I get dollars), and it worked great. The fee was very low ($7 for a $1400 transfer, whereas PayPal would have been $56). I'm not sure why others report a different experience -- maybe it depends upon the countries involved. I know that the variety of countries and currencies they work with is limited. My bank does not charge me any fee of its ... See more
I didn't read all the long posts about TransferWise.com, but I've used it twice now to receive money from Europe (to the U.S., so my client pays in euros, I get dollars), and it worked great. The fee was very low ($7 for a $1400 transfer, whereas PayPal would have been $56). I'm not sure why others report a different experience -- maybe it depends upon the countries involved. I know that the variety of countries and currencies they work with is limited. My bank does not charge me any fee of its own for incoming bank transfers from abroad.

As for who pays the fee, it depends on what you and your client agree to. Some of my clients refuse to pay fees.
Collapse

Luciana Jesus
Luciana Jesus  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Check Banco do Brasil Americas Dec 7, 2016

Anne,

I receive most payments through wire transfer to Banco do Brasil Americas. I opened the account in person, but I believe you can do everything online and they have better fees if you have an account at BB.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
* Dec 12, 2016

Susan Welsh wrote:

I didn't read all the long posts about TransferWise.com, but I've used it twice now to receive money from Europe (to the U.S., so my client pays in euros, I get dollars), and it worked great. The fee was very low ($7 for a $1400 transfer, whereas PayPal would have been $56). I'm not sure why others report a different experience -- maybe it depends upon the countries involved. I know that the variety of countries and currencies they work with is limited. My bank does not charge me any fee of its own for incoming bank transfers from abroad.

You're very lucky, I don't know any bank in any country that would not charge a fee for incoming transfers from abroad! I've always thought it's unfair to have to *pay* to receive your "salary", as it were (i.e. payments for work done) - employees never have to do that...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal fees way too high

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »