Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
"For legal reasons, we will pay this invoice in half a year"... !!!
Thread poster: Magdalena Kowalska
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We are not banks Dec 10, 2015

Kirsten Bodart wrote:
They're trying to save what's still there to save with management by themselves, so give them a break and hope they can still save it.

What I find particularly cheeky is that companies do not usually get in to trouble from one day to the next: they already knew they were in trouble when they ordered the work from the OP, and knew that they would not be able to pay. Maybe the PMs did not know, but management did and kept it for themselves to keep money coming in from their end customers. To me, this is abusing your suppliers and forcing them to become your bankers. Not what you expect from a reliable business partner.

The least one can expect from a sensible customer is that they clearly state the situation at the time of the order, so that you can decide if they are worthy of your help. I have had situations in the past where a good customer was honest about a temporary cash flow problem, and I kept working for them, just because I like honest people.

Magdalena Kowalska
Magdalena Kowalska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Information was late. Dec 10, 2015

I got this information when my invoice was already a few days overdue, i.e. over one month after the project delivery. In that time, they ordered two more projects from me.

[Edited at 2015-12-10 18:39 GMT]

Jacqueline White
Jacqueline White
Austria
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Fraud? Dec 10, 2015

If they ordered jobs knowing that they cannot pay, I would think it constitutes fraud.

Magdalena Kowalska
Magdalena Kowalska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: Mahngerichte do not have legal powers in Germany Feb 4, 2016

There is an update to the story. I dutifully filed a "Mahnantrag"; the agency responded with an objection. I'm not sure on what grounds, as I dont have the paper in my hand yet; that's just what I've heard on the phone. Apparently the only thing I can do now is to refer the case to the court, or "Amtsgericht".

Has anyone ever had a different result after filing a Mahnantrag?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Mahngerichte don't have legal powers Feb 4, 2016

Magdalena Kowalska wrote:

There is an update to the story. I dutifully filed a "Mahnantrag"; the agency responded with an objection. I'm not sure on what grounds, as I dont have the paper in my hand yet; that's just what I've heard on the phone. Apparently the only thing I can do now is to refer the case to the court, or "Amtsgericht".

Has anyone ever had a different result after filing a Mahnantrag?

They don't (and can't) verify anything. So you can claim whatever you want, and they just send the Mahnbescheid to the counterpart, within a few days. If they pay, that is because they know you are right and there would be little chances if they did not, as you could go to court.

If they don't pay, there could be legal or other impeachments, for example. Therefore, I would await to know the reasons of the objection before taking futher steps.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"For legal reasons, we will pay this invoice in half a year"... !!!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »