Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 8, 2015

This would fit for a poll, but I believe there would be a delay of many months. So I'd like to ask you to reveal your costs for your web access in your part of the world.

My costs are:

cable/landline web access 40 Mb/s EUR 30 / month
mobile 4 G EUR 15 /month flat rate

Hope this is not against site rules.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
English to French
+ ...
Try one of the survey sites Oct 8, 2015

Like Surveymonkey, or whatever. It will be easier for everybody.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My costs are Oct 8, 2015

Belgium:

cable/landline web access 40 Mb/s EUR 61 / month (VAT included)

Portugal:

cable/landline web access 24 Mb/s EUR 21 / month (VAT included)

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My figures aren't sounding too good Oct 8, 2015

Fixed line, phone, TV, 10 mb/s Internet connection, plus mobile 3G phone with 2 GB Internet - all-in package for EUR 62.80 a month including 7% local tax.

But I live on a little holiday island where there are far more goats than people, so I don't think they give it very high priority. There is talk of fibre-optic cable, but that's another one for 'mañana'.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I have 3 suppliers Oct 8, 2015

For miscellaneous reasons, my use of the Internet depends on three suppliers of services. My telephone line (landline, which provides the copper wires through which the broadband service is provided) is provided by BT (British Telecommunications) and is about 18 GBP per month (including some phone calls).
The broadband service itself is from PlusNet (which is now part of, or at least associated with, BT) is about 10 GBP per month. That gives me speeds up to about 3 Mb/s, with unlimited amo
... See more
For miscellaneous reasons, my use of the Internet depends on three suppliers of services. My telephone line (landline, which provides the copper wires through which the broadband service is provided) is provided by BT (British Telecommunications) and is about 18 GBP per month (including some phone calls).
The broadband service itself is from PlusNet (which is now part of, or at least associated with, BT) is about 10 GBP per month. That gives me speeds up to about 3 Mb/s, with unlimited amounts of data transfer. My email and website service is provided by a small not very well known ISP called Gradwell: about 7 GBP/month.
Total, therefore 35 GBP which is about 47 Euro, or 53 USDollars.

(This is for Internet access, not strictly speaking the same as Web access: The Web is not the Internet; only the best known and most used part of it. The worldwide web (using the http protocol) was invented in Geneva in 1990, at which time email had already existed for a few years (it uses the pop, imap and smtp protocols). Strictly speaking, email is not part of the world-wide web, although many people, including myself, most frequently receive and send email by using websites - these websites are interfaces that make emails look like web pages to the users.

[Edited at 2015-10-09 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No idea Oct 8, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Fixed line, phone, TV, 10 mb/s Internet connection, plus mobile 3G phone with 2 GB Internet - all-in package for EUR 62.80 a month including 7% local tax.

But I live on a little holiday island where there are far more goats than people, so I don't think they give it very high priority. There is talk of fibre-optic cable, but that's another one for 'mañana'.

I have no idea how fast my line speed is. All I can say is: it's fast enough not to be a problem. I pay £10 a month for broadband and a phone line. Calls are extra. There's also an annual fee of about £140. Each month, if I pay my bill within 24 hours, I get a 10% discount.

The company keeps trying to persuade me to pay more and get a package of extra TV channels I don't want. I have an old pay-as-you-go mobile phone but I never use it. It just lies on my desk. I haven't got a smartphone- don't want one, don't need one. So that saves me quite a lot of money, I imagine.

I write down 50% of all broadband charges, and 100% of all business-related calls, as non-taxable business expenses.

This is the company:

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk

[Edited at 2015-10-08 20:44 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Talktalk Oct 8, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
This is the company:

Talktalk is cheap but has a reputation for poor customer service, though apparently that is improving.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Customer service Oct 8, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
This is the company:

Talktalk is cheap but has a reputation for poor customer service, though apparently that is improving.

I never need customer service, Oliver. Occasionally there are glitches with the email server but there's a good TalkTalk discussion forum where users can report any probs. These usually get fixed fairly quickly. I used to be with O2 and the customer service there was terrible. Isn't customer service usually terrible with everything - banks, electricity providers, etc.?

My only real problem is scammers who somehow get hold of my email address and send me spoof emails warning me that my TalkTalk account has been suspended. I trash them

[Edited at 2015-10-08 20:49 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:39
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Oct 8, 2015

Russia: $20/month for 100mbps up and down.

Sergei Vasin
Sergei Vasin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Ukraine Oct 8, 2015

cable/landline web access 60 Mb/s - EUR 4 / month
mobile 3 G - from EUR 2 /month (500 MB Internet) to EUR 6 /month (2.5 GB Internet)

DorothyX (X)
DorothyX (X)
France
Local time: 16:39
France Oct 8, 2015

In France, where I am now (I am retired) triple play by Orange: € 40 a month for unlimited internet access + about 50 TV channels + unlimited landline phone calls using internet + free calls to some specified cell phones.
The rent for the modem is € 5 a month.
I have a very high speed glass fiber connexion.
I do not make use of the "options" (more TV channels).

Mobile: € 15/month for 2h of calls + 1 hr of internet use + unlimited SMS.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
US Oct 9, 2015

I'm paying $55 per month for 60mbs internet access at home. For my mobile, it's $35 per month and "unlimited".

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:39
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Indonesia Oct 9, 2015

LTE only. I spend around Rp 200,000 (€ 12.50) a month for 14 GB daytime plus 24 GB from 1 AM till 7 AM. Don't know the speed of the connection, but it's reasonably fast.

Cheers,

Hans

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
$22 per month Oct 9, 2015

China
Cable access, $22 per month, 10Mb

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
Chile Oct 9, 2015

Fiber optics (Internet access only) - 15 Mbps up/down -> around US$35.00

[Editado a las 2015-10-09 01:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you pay for web access?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »