Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:52
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Germany Oct 9, 2015

My cable/land line All-in-One-Flatrate (phone, fax, 100 mb/s Internet) costs Euros 31.90 per month.

[Edited at 2015-10-09 07:34 GMT]

Pete in Finland
Pete in Finland
Finland
Local time: 08:52
English to Finnish
+ ...
Finland Oct 9, 2015

Broadband Internet 24M (ADSL) + Mobile broadband 4G (packaged together)

EUR35 per month

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Germany Oct 9, 2015

I'm with Deutsche Telekom and pay €29.94 for what should be 6MBit/s but usually isn't and includes broadband plus phone.

Often an e-mail takes hours to arrive for some obscure reason.

I also have a smartphone with data access that costs me €4.99.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:52
French to English
+ ...
Erm Oct 9, 2015

My internet is around £40 a month. I have two speeds: 5G in the living room, and 2G everywhere else (that's what it's called, I don't know if it means anything!). I suspect that sometimes it runs slower because I live in quite a studenty area.

As for my phone, I have unlimited calls and texts and 2gb of data for £16.99 a month. I worked out that it was cheaper in the long run to buy an iPhone 6 outright and get a sim-only contract then to enter into a crazy £40/month 2-year deal.
... See more
My internet is around £40 a month. I have two speeds: 5G in the living room, and 2G everywhere else (that's what it's called, I don't know if it means anything!). I suspect that sometimes it runs slower because I live in quite a studenty area.

As for my phone, I have unlimited calls and texts and 2gb of data for £16.99 a month. I worked out that it was cheaper in the long run to buy an iPhone 6 outright and get a sim-only contract then to enter into a crazy £40/month 2-year deal. Works for me, anyway!
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
2G and 5G Oct 9, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:I have two speeds: 5G in the living room, and 2G everywhere else (that's what it's called, I don't know if it means anything!).
The "G" in 2G and 5G means "generation" - the development of standards in telecommunications technology.
See, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-1G-2G-3G-4G-and-5G
(and when you see "LTE" in this context, it means Long-Term Evolution)

[Edited at 2015-10-09 09:19 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
No-one ever needs customer service until they need customer service Oct 9, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I never need customer service, Oliver.

I know what you mean. But never move house. They still owe me £20 from when I was with them years ago and moved, changing provider in the process. Gave up asking in the end. My sister-in-law moved and wanted to stay with Talktalk. Took them SIX weeks to get her internet connection activated (and there were no aggravating circumstances). Walk into any pub in the country and you can hear similar experiences. And they have been done for over-charging.

Yup, absolutely, they all have faults in this area. But Talktalk are definitely the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, and I never tire of saying so.

FWIW I'm currently with BT, pay far too much, esp. since they've adopted the marketing approach of offering a bundle of services (e.g. cloud backups) and charging a fairly high price, safe in the knowledge most people won't actually use most of it.
They are all b******s, ultimately.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Two types... Oct 9, 2015

£12 per month for landline/broadband with Sky. Speed - fast enough.

£20 per month for 4G mobile wifi with 15GB data from o2.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Zen Oct 9, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:
FWIW I'm currently with BT, pay far too much, esp. since they've adopted the marketing approach of offering a bundle of services (e.g. cloud backups) and charging a fairly high price, safe in the knowledge most people won't actually use most of it.
They are all b******s, ultimately.

Charlie, try Zen Internet. Not cheap, but excellent service. If you do have a problem and call them you will be helped somebody knowledgeable, based in the UK, who will actually listen and make intelligent suggestions, rather than reading from a script. They've been top of user satisfaction polls for years.

As for me, I pay about 30 pounds sterling per months to get slow broadband internet in this very rural location. Low population density means there is essentially no alternative. However, the local exchange has been converted to fibre and hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to upgrade.

Dan

aruna yallapragada
aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
German to English
+ ...
India Oct 9, 2015

Around INR 700 ($10-11) per month, includes landline, internet (100 mbps) around 100 calls free per month, night time free calls to anywhere in India.

Not very fast but sufficient for the pace at which I work.

Aruna

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Satellite Internet Oct 9, 2015

Down-/uplink 12/6 Mbps, traffic limit 25 GB/month both ways: EUR45.00/month VAT incl.
if I exceed 25GB in a month: EUR10 + VAT for each each extra 1GB of traffic.

Plus a satellite dish.

The price to pay when you live in the sticks.

Philippe

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Thank you Oct 10, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

"Talktalk is cheap" ...

This is a thing of beauty.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:52
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Expensive Oct 11, 2015

Landline + Internet comes to AUD $120 per month, until recent Australian dollar was just a bit below the US one.

My mobile costs $45 a month with 1GB data.

Maggie WAKEFIELD
Maggie WAKEFIELD  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
France Oct 11, 2015

29,99€ for a standard adsl/landline package that includes landline calls throughout the EU, from the provider Free.fr
It's cheap and cheerful and I don't have 100 per cent confidence in the service, but in fact I've not had any serious probems. However I do have 2 backup plans just in case. There is a 'centre de télétravail' in the town where I live and I have registered as a user, so if my home internet goes down I could immediately rent office space there. Also I have an Orange Domin
... See more
29,99€ for a standard adsl/landline package that includes landline calls throughout the EU, from the provider Free.fr
It's cheap and cheerful and I don't have 100 per cent confidence in the service, but in fact I've not had any serious probems. However I do have 2 backup plans just in case. There is a 'centre de télétravail' in the town where I live and I have registered as a user, so if my home internet goes down I could immediately rent office space there. Also I have an Orange Domino mifi device.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Unlikely Oct 11, 2015

MaggieW wrote:

It's cheap and cheerful and I don't have 100 per cent confidence in the service, but in fact I've not had any serious probems. However I do have 2 backup plans just in case. There is a 'centre de télétravail' in the town where I live and I have registered as a user, so if my home internet goes down I could immediately rent office space there. Also I have an Orange Domino mifi device.

In the unlikely event that I completely lose my internet connection, my backup plan is to take my MacBook Pro and go to the local library, where there is free WiFi.

[Edited at 2015-10-11 12:27 GMT]

Maggie WAKEFIELD
Maggie WAKEFIELD  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
And there's always MacDo Oct 11, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

In the unlikely event that I completely lose my internet connection, my backup plan is to take my MacBook Pro and go to the local library, where there is free WiFi.

Hmm yes, if you're lucky enough to have a library that's avoided the cutbacks. Our médiatheque is only open on random half days during the week, hence I don't mind paying a little for backup plans that will work 24/7 x 365, and in extremis there is always MacDo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you pay for web access?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »