Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:55
Danish to English
+ ...
Invoicing Oct 8, 2015

IOLIVE wrote:

The email is professional, and they had a big client, which translation I made directly in their website. The thing is not the delay in payment, I was aware of it. The problem is that I could not even invoice?? And they simply do not reply to me.

Unless instructed otherwise, I e-mail an invoice to the outsourcer according to what has been agreed. You say you cannot invoice, but what exactly does that mean? You can always e-mail them an invoice, but did they ask you to use an online invoicing system that you can't access?

The immediate problem seems to be they don't reply. Some businesses are not so well organised that they deal with e-mails sent to a specific person when that person is away or has even left the company. Have you tried all possible means of contacting them?

By all means, ask Proz support for help, as it was suggested.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:55
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Browniz or jobs membership Oct 8, 2015

Hi IOLIVE,

Just FYI - other than Browniz points, you can also consider subscribing to a jobs partial membership. It's less than a full membership and gives you full access to read comments on Proz' BlueBoard.

That's what I did in my first two years with Proz.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 20:55
English to Russian
+ ...
3 weeks? Oct 9, 2015

IOLIVE wrote:

... and now - about 3 weeks later, no more message whatsoever, no replies to my messages. What can I do about it? Thanxx for any help!

Unfortunately, most agencies pay not earlier than after 30 days. Probably, this is the case.

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:55
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Send your invoice Oct 9, 2015

Invoice them first. You will probably find their details in their website.

If they don't acknowledge receipt within a few days, phone them.

If they are still evasive, maybe you could become a ProZ PAYING member and ask them to follow up.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So invoicing is the problem? Oct 9, 2015

IOLIVE wrote:
they had a big client, which translation I made directly in their website. The thing is not the delay in payment, I was aware of it. The problem is that I could not even invoice?? And they simply do not reply to me.

You worked on the translation within their own website? Should we assume from this that the agency does everything online, in its own interface? It's perhaps a very big company with offices everywhere and millions of words per day? I don't want you to name the company, and I don't have just one in mind, but there are a few out there who are so vast that they've quite forgotten that they are dealing with individual freelancers, some of whom may be inexperienced. And all deserving of a lot more respect than they get from these faceless giants. I think you may well find that the important information on the BB is in those comments. These biggies provide mountains of work so few translators want to openly criticise them and see their orders dry up. You'll probably find that most give a rating of at least 4, but they leave comments such as 'some problems with invoicing but I'd love to work with them again' or 'complicated interface but...'.

I would do as Alvaro suggests: send them your invoice, asking for immediate confirmation of receipt. And then do everything in your power to chase that confirmation - not just one email address but as many as you can find, plus phone, skype, website contact form... If nothing happens, I'd send the invoice again, this time on paper through the post, preferably using a method that provides you with proof of delivery. They won't like it but they can't refuse to pay a legal invoice and still remain within the law. Maybe it will at least prompt them to provide you with the means to invoice them their preferred way.

IOLIVE
IOLIVE
Local time: 14:55
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Invoicing Oct 9, 2015

Thank you Sheila and Alvaro! Indeed, he once said to me that I had to wait for the PO. I'm doing it for some time now. But I think I will try to invoice, but once they do not answer to "normal" emails, I am quite skeptical they will ever aknowledge the invoice sent like this.

Ana Carla Guimarães
Ana Carla Guimarães  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:55
English to Portuguese
The PO should be sent before you start the job Oct 10, 2015

I am not sure about the rules of this company, but I work for one in the US that has a very straightforward rule. Never start a job without a PO, which makes a lot of sense to me. I like Sheila's advice. I would do the same (sending an invoice by registered mail, even without the PO).

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:55
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It's their duty to deliver the PO on time Oct 11, 2015

Ana Carla Guimarães wrote:

I am not sure about the rules of this company, but I work for one in the US that has a very straightforward rule. Never start a job without a PO, which makes a lot of sense to me. I like Sheila's advice. I would do the same (sending an invoice by registered mail, even without the PO).

Exactly! You shouldn't start the job without a PO number. But since you did and also delivered the translation, it's the agency's duty to provide you with the PO. However, even without having received one, you can still submit your invoice with the note: PO not provided on time. Payment due date will not change due to late delivery of PO.

hat they don't respond to your emails could be either a sign of them being a large company, your POC being away, or that they are not in a hurry to pay you. After all, they received their translation. So why hurry? Please don't get me wrong, the majority of agencies and end clients take their obligations very seriously. But once in a while there appears one that doesn't.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failure of payment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »