Phoebe Leong  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 21:25
Member (2015)
English to Malay
+ ...
Mar 3, 2015

Dear all,

Just a brief introduction of the situation I'm facing now with a translation company in India that I've been working with since 2010. Low rates but payment always on time. Until 2015, It's my very first time feeling so frustrated and disappointed with their attitude.

I've received a confirmed job from one of the project manager (4000 words from English to Chinese) with deadline set to 1st March, 2015. What they before the commencement of project is the transla
... See more
Dear all,

Just a brief introduction of the situation I'm facing now with a translation company in India that I've been working with since 2010. Low rates but payment always on time. Until 2015, It's my very first time feeling so frustrated and disappointed with their attitude.

I've received a confirmed job from one of the project manager (4000 words from English to Chinese) with deadline set to 1st March, 2015. What they before the commencement of project is the translation file and TM export as reference. All their emails always come with special instructions and delivery checklist to be ticked. Details as follows:

- Do check the file thoroughly before you deliver it to us and ensure that all the texts delivered in are completely free of any spelling or grammatical errors.
- I have understood and followed all instructions
- The document is not a Machine Translation delivered as is.
- The Correct file[s] have been attached
- The Documents does not contain any incomplete or missing translation
- The Documents is free of errors w.r.t. spellings, grammar and numbers
- Ensure that all special characters, highlighting and other features added for your own use have been removed
- The Grammar and style are in adherence to language and client specific standards
- The Source formatting has not been altered. All formatting instructions have been followed
- I would be available for any rework caused by negligence on my part

I've finished my translation and delivered the file on time. Then, on 3rd March, the project manager sent me an email with a reference word file from client, request me to check my translated file and use the same type of translation, style, terminology in attached sdlxliff file and send them the revised sdlxliff file ASAP.

The word file contained 8000 words of Chinese translation (not even bilingual file or TM) of a similar project done by other translator, they want me to revise my translation file and make sure it is SAME TYPE OF STYLE AND TERMINOLOGY. In my 8 years of translation experience, i haven't experience this before, it is acceptable for me to start my work with reference file given beforehand, and in this case, i've to go through the reference file word by word, which is very time consuming and obviously not within my job scope, so that i've asked for extra pay.

And here's their reply:
"The word count for the current job is approx 2000 words only. And, I am sure that you do not have to revise all the words. Please note that we had asked the client to share the reference file but it has arrived bit late but well before the deadline. If we do not follow the reference file then client will again come back with feedback and we will be facing very unpleasant situation. Already we are facing some quality related issues with this client. And you will agree that we both do not like to face such situation. Hence request you to spare some time from your busy schedule and revise the file."

What would you do in this situation? Do i take responsibility for it? I've signed the checklist and agree to be available for any rework caused by negligence on my part (but this is not caused by my negligence apparently). If they send me the reference file earlier, I can make sure styles and terms will be followed as instructed, but now is totally different situation, I've to go through that reference file with 8000 words, then only amend my 4000 translation file accordingly.

What should i do in case they reject to pay for this project.

[Edited at 2015-03-03 15:38 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Ideal world? Mar 3, 2015

In an ideal world, you would tell the client that they are making an unreasonable request. If they have a problem retaining their clients, that is their problem. They must pay you for the work they want done.

In the real world, you make nice for an easy life. Make three cosmetic changes in your file. Tell them you've done the revision as best you can, and ask them to check it. They won't check it, but that's their problem. You've put the responsibility squarely back on them.

Phoebe Leong
Malaysia
Member (2015)
English to Malay
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the idea Mar 3, 2015

Yeah i agreed with that, hesitated to compromise this time but i'm more worried they will do the same in future.

Alexander Vareiko
Alexander Vareiko  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:25
English to Russian
+ ...
They should pay Mar 3, 2015

If I have not misunderstood you, your client asked you to revise 4000 of 8000 words, not translated by you, but other translator. So it's your additional revision work and it should be appropriately paid.
Otherwise, try to contact less with this PM (not with other company PM).

Phoebe Leong
Malaysia
Member (2015)
English to Malay
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think that's additional revision work too Mar 3, 2015

They asked me to revise the file translated by me (4000 words) based on that reference file (8000 words) and to make changes accordingly.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why should YOU pay for THEIR error? Mar 3, 2015

phoebeleong317 wrote:
All their emails always come with special instructions and delivery checklist to be ticked. Details as follows:
(snip)
- The Grammar and style are in adherence to language and client specific standards

I've received a confirmed job from one of the project manager (4000 words from English to Chinese) with deadline set to 1st March, 2015.

I've finished my translation and delivered the file on time. Then, on 3rd March, the project manager sent me an email with a reference word file from client, request me check my translated file and use the same type of translation, style, terminology in attached sdlxliff file and send them the revised sdlxliff file ASAP.

I've changed the order of the quotes to show clearly that your translation met all their requirements (as far as we know). You delivered on time; there were no specific client standards mentioned.

And here's their reply:
"The word count for the current job is approx 2000 words only. And, I am sure that you do not have to revise all the words."

Maybe you don't have to CHANGE every word, but you do have to carefully READ every word of the reference text, plus every word of your translation, plus make changes as necessary.

"Please note that we had asked the client to share the reference file but it has arrived bit late but well before the deadline."

3rd March is before a 1st March deadline? I don't think so! Where was their project management? If they knew they were waiting for a file, why didn't they tell you to hold off? You should only have got the go-ahead to work without it once they had the client's agreement. Otherwise, the deadline should have been extended and you should have waited for it to arrive.

"If we do not follow the reference file then client will again come back with feedback and we will be facing very unpleasant situation. Already we are facing some quality related issues with this client. And you will agree that we both do not like to face such situation. Hence request you to spare some time from your busy schedule and revise the file."

Fair enough: they're asking you to dig them out of a hole of their own making. Sure, neither of you want an unsatisfied end client. So do them a favour and give this job priority even though it isn't scheduled. BUT THEY MUST PAY! It was their error, not yours. Of course, you could always agree to a lower-than-usual rate for this one job, if you feel like it; a business offer to show that you're willing to help them out of their mess.

GudrunPancake
GudrunPancake
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
I agree with Sheila Mar 5, 2015

You did the agreed work, presumably at a good standard.

Then they gave you some additional work in the form of revision. Why on earth would you do this for free? The details of the case are irrelevant apart from the fact you have done nothing wrong and completed the original work as agreed at the time.

I would charge for this, UNLESS they are a great client who you want to keep happy and/or it would only take you 15 minutes max.

betül asiye karpuzcu
betül asiye karpuzcu  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
Turkish to English
+ ...
a general attitude Mar 6, 2015

I think it is general attitude for some agencies- Indian particularly.
They bargain, bargain ,bargain...really, no US or UK agencies has ever asked for my instant messenger adress by now. But these "some others" do ask and then never stop asking discounts, additional works, revisions, lump-sum prices, requests telling "pls. just a look at" which you then discover "looking at" would take longer than an hour and this and that. And -the most terrific part of it is that they already pay lower!
... See more
I think it is general attitude for some agencies- Indian particularly.
They bargain, bargain ,bargain...really, no US or UK agencies has ever asked for my instant messenger adress by now. But these "some others" do ask and then never stop asking discounts, additional works, revisions, lump-sum prices, requests telling "pls. just a look at" which you then discover "looking at" would take longer than an hour and this and that. And -the most terrific part of it is that they already pay lower!
So why to work for them and then get disappointed?
You may think that I am too much offensive but it is what I have experienced. Therefore I am taking a hard line with them -which is not my regular attitude, absolutely- otherwise they won't stop with asking for more, for free in most of the cases.
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:25
French to German
+ ...
An additional revision job Mar 6, 2015

I would consider that as an additional revision job for which I would expect to be paid for. I think it's also important to make them understand that you do not like this attitude and wonder what else will follow if you do accept their request without extra payment...

I actually sometimes accept to do something for free for good, regular customers with whom I have an excellent relationship, but not if the rates are already low and not the way they have tried to get that for free.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comments and Help needed!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »