Invoicing help?
Thread poster: Tofujoshi
Tofujoshi
Tofujoshi
United Kingdom
Jan 30, 2015

I'm currently working through my MA in Translation Studies and could use a little help and advice. The task is to create a translation of an interim financial report, letter to shareholders and a table of financial figures, and then invoice the supposed client for the work completed. I have no clue at all where to start in terms of invoicing though, what costs to ascribe, taxation, formatting of these.

The work is going from Japanese to English, so it makes the cost per word equati
... See more
I'm currently working through my MA in Translation Studies and could use a little help and advice. The task is to create a translation of an interim financial report, letter to shareholders and a table of financial figures, and then invoice the supposed client for the work completed. I have no clue at all where to start in terms of invoicing though, what costs to ascribe, taxation, formatting of these.

The work is going from Japanese to English, so it makes the cost per word equation difficult. Do I charge for the English word count output rather than the Japanese one?

If anybody could talk me through a mock invoice, show examples (I know there are invoicing tools on this site that allow me to work through a template for free a few times which helps a lot) I would be extremely grateful.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Just get stuck in Jan 30, 2015

Tofujoshi wrote:
The work is going from Japanese to English, so it makes the cost per word equation difficult. Do I charge for the English word count output rather than the Japanese one?

J-E translators typically charge per source character excluding spaces. Invoicing can be as simple or as complicated as you like.

I would just make up a document in Word showing your name, address and contact details at the top of the page i.e. for Tofujoshi Translations. If you have a logo, this is a good place for it.

Below that, somewhere prominent, put the invoice number and the invoice date.

Beneath that put the client contact person's name, the client company name, address and contact details.

Below that put small table with each document in a separate row. Have columns in the table for purchase order number (make one up), count method (characters), the character count, rate per char, and total due per document. At the bottom of the table put the total amount due for all documents. Make it very clear what the currency is.

Finally tell the client how to pay. Bank transfer - with made-up bank account details - or PayPal, whatever. Your terms, such as "Payment 30 days after invoice issued" should be prominent.

I would ignore the VAT issue for now. Charging VAT depends on the client's location and on the type of client. The rules on charging VAT on projects to clients overseas are complex. Fortunately, in the UK registering for VAT is voluntary unless you hit GBP 81,000 in turnover in a 12-month period. If you were making that much you would be afford to hire an account to advise you.

Dan

Tofujoshi
Tofujoshi
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Jan 30, 2015

As this is being sent to a Japanese company, would my charge be in YEN or GBP?
Many many thanks for your help, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Kindest regards.

Kay

[Edited at 2015-01-30 07:55 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Shame they didn't start at the beginning Jan 30, 2015

Maybe this is why we hear the same terrifying true story over and over again here: "I've done my first translation for a client and now he says to send the invoice. How do I do that? I only have his email address."

That's what happens if the pre-translation procedures have been skipped - as you're being encouraged to do. All the details would have been sorted before you translated the first word; the only problems you should be faced with when you come to draw up your first invoice
... See more
Maybe this is why we hear the same terrifying true story over and over again here: "I've done my first translation for a client and now he says to send the invoice. How do I do that? I only have his email address."

That's what happens if the pre-translation procedures have been skipped - as you're being encouraged to do. All the details would have been sorted before you translated the first word; the only problems you should be faced with when you come to draw up your first invoice should be things like formatting.

My template has our business names and addresses at the top, plus the invoice no in big bold letters. Then three dates: delivery, invoice, payment due. Then a chart area with headings which in my case, like the date labels, are trilingual ES, EN, FR. They are description, quantity, unit, unit rate, total. So one line might read might read:
Translation of file xyz.docx 500 source word EUR 0.12 EUR 60
And the next:
Proofreading of file abc.docx 2 hour EUR 30 EUR 60

I invoice in EUR normally but occasionally in USD or GBP.

Then there are subtotal and total lines as necessary (taxes etc).

At the bottom are the payment methods i.e. bank details, PayPal email address... Whatever is necessary to enable them to pay me by the due date. I only give the methods I want them to use, ones that don't cost me too much e.g. I give my UK bank details only when invoicing in GBP.

I think you could usefully use that information for your own use, just making changes to suit your circumstances.
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
English to Russian
+ ...
MS Word template Jan 31, 2015

MS Word has a nice template of an invoice.
Check it and you will not need to create your invoice from scratch.

There are invoice templates in MS Excel too.

A great tool for beginners in accounting and invoice making.

[Edited at 2015-01-31 16:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing help?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »