Thread poster: marie trad
marie trad
marie trad  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
English to French
+ ...
Jan 29, 2015

HI everyone,

I am quite new to the industry and am now in discussion with a client who would need me to be available on a daily basis for website updates (new products descriptions, e-commerce ads). What kind of fee should I charge for the "availability" he requests ? (monthly basic ?)

Also, he is suggesting a flat rate per ad/product and not per word, which is hard to determine since the ads are never the same wordcount.

Ideally, he would need the translat
... See more
HI everyone,

I am quite new to the industry and am now in discussion with a client who would need me to be available on a daily basis for website updates (new products descriptions, e-commerce ads). What kind of fee should I charge for the "availability" he requests ? (monthly basic ?)

Also, he is suggesting a flat rate per ad/product and not per word, which is hard to determine since the ads are never the same wordcount.

Ideally, he would need the translations done within a 24 hour timeframe. Is this considered a rush or tight deadline?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Establish a minimum monthly fee Jan 30, 2015

Most such contracts are a lot of hassle for little money, but if you feel you want to get involved, then the most reasonable way would be to agree on a monthly fee of X euro, which would cover your availability and your work up to Y words within that month. Anything in excess of Y would be invoiced on a per-word basis and payable with next month's fee. As to the actual values of X and Y, only you can determine it adequately. Just consider the minimum amount of work that would make it worth your ... See more
Most such contracts are a lot of hassle for little money, but if you feel you want to get involved, then the most reasonable way would be to agree on a monthly fee of X euro, which would cover your availability and your work up to Y words within that month. Anything in excess of Y would be invoiced on a per-word basis and payable with next month's fee. As to the actual values of X and Y, only you can determine it adequately. Just consider the minimum amount of work that would make it worth your while. The ratio of X to Y is usually your normal per-word rate, or slightly more.Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Time is money Jan 30, 2015

As a provider, you should be able to dictate your own conditions and not the other way around.
If you don't, strengthen your negociating skills with training or something.
Anton Konashenok wrote:
Most such contracts are a lot of hassle for little money...

Agreed. Why risk to grossly underestimate your offer? To avoid this, if the customer wants you on call on a daily basis, well, you charge a whole day every day, while informing them that your OWN way of charging would be less costly (taking into account that always-on availability with urgent assignments with no advance notice should cost more).

Philippe

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jan 30, 2015

I've often done this in the past, and it doesn't have to be a hassle. You obviously can't charge a separate rush fee on every job, so you just have to factor it in to your fee.
The customer shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket, though. They should have a team of two or three translators, as there will always be times when you're away or too busy.
You should charge a minimum rate for very short jobs, which is what the customer is in effect saying.

marie trad
marie trad  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 31, 2015

for your help everyone. Very useful tips !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pricing issues for on going project, daily upadtes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »