Thread poster: Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:28
French to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2014

This is a pretty straight forward question. When charging portal to portal, with a two-hour minimum interpreting assignment, what is the common practice for an assignment which lasts less than the two hour minimum? Do you charge travel time + the 2 hr. minimum, or just the actual portal to portal time?

I left my house at 12pm and returned at 4pm because the assignment only lasted 20 minutes. Should I add on the time it would have taken to account for the 2 hour minimum? In the past
... See more
This is a pretty straight forward question. When charging portal to portal, with a two-hour minimum interpreting assignment, what is the common practice for an assignment which lasts less than the two hour minimum? Do you charge travel time + the 2 hr. minimum, or just the actual portal to portal time?

I left my house at 12pm and returned at 4pm because the assignment only lasted 20 minutes. Should I add on the time it would have taken to account for the 2 hour minimum? In the past I have not added on the additional time, but have heard some people do.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
English to French
+ ...
I don't Dec 18, 2014

I have a 4hr minimum charge, plus travel time as applicable. However, in cases like the one you describe (let us say, 2hr travel time and 2hr actual interpretation), I wouldn't charge extra for travel time.

But, that is just me. I don't do interpreting often enough to know whether there is a "common practice."

Paula Loubier
Paula Loubier  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:28
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 18, 2014

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will certainly consider it when invoicing. My issue was really that the actual assignment was so short (20 minutes), that I didn't know if it was appropriate to charge the 2 hrs. min. + full travel time. I was considering charging 1 hr. + travel time. I think I'll see if anyone else weighs in.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
English to French
+ ...
Minimum charge is minimum charge Dec 18, 2014

And I don't move unless customers have agreed to it. It is perfectly justifiable: being out of the office for a given, predetermined out of office, means one can't accept new business, or even talk to customers, during that period. That is what is included in an interpreting minimum charge.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:28
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just some thoughts Dec 18, 2014

I have absolutely no experience of this so really can't advise. But it's led me to raise the following questions, FWIW:

Do you charge the full hourly rate for travel? I believe some people charge less, on the basis that they're able to relax to a degree, or maybe do some work if on a train/plane. If you're getting your full rate for four hours, and that's the entire time you spent on the job, it doesn't seem as though you're losing out significantly. Of course, for a 20-minute job j
... See more
I have absolutely no experience of this so really can't advise. But it's led me to raise the following questions, FWIW:

Do you charge the full hourly rate for travel? I believe some people charge less, on the basis that they're able to relax to a degree, or maybe do some work if on a train/plane. If you're getting your full rate for four hours, and that's the entire time you spent on the job, it doesn't seem as though you're losing out significantly. Of course, for a 20-minute job just around the corner you'd be having a hefty disruption of your day for just 30 minutes' pay - not good news! So you clearly want an absolute minimum fee of two hours.

Was it planned to last longer? I think if there was any expectation that the actual work would take two hours or more then you're entitled to charge that. The reasoning would be that you hadn't accepted any other work for those two hours, or for the travel time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging portal to portal for interpreting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »