Thread poster: NvPoe
Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Fixed costs mean economies of scale Dec 4, 2014

AndersonT wrote:

The only real "overhead saving" I see in large projects is that I have to write one invoice instead of lets say ten. Since writing one invoice shouldn't really take more than five minutes, that "advantage" is negligible.

Invoicing is certainly not the only fixed cost. Many realities here again but this can include the following: invoicing/bookkeeping, file handling, software handling, communications (emails, etc), reference checking (e.g. style guides if those differ from one to another), QA paperwork (checklists, other QA sheets), plus, last but not least, as explained above, the cost of availability (more unpaid gaps) and the effort of making sense of the context (research, as you call it), which should be considered a fixed cost too (less information = less context = more effort in terms of visualization / picturing the context in your mind's eye / testing assumptions through induction/deduction).

The logical failure I see is the assumption that large projects will cut down on prep and research time. In my experience there is nothing that would support such an assumption. And that for one simple reason, if we compare a 10k text and a 200k text, the 200k text will require more research, unless of course it is something highly repetitive like a parts catalogue (where discounts will obviously be CAT rate structures). As the word count of a descriptive text grows, so does the content/information it conveys.

Why do you want to compare 10k with 200k? (??). You have to compare 200k with 20x10k! And this is basically what granting or not discounts is all about! Is 20x10k more time-consuming than 1x200k? My opinion is, generally yes.

Even if that's what you meant, I don't agree with you (many smaller jobs = more fixed costs, including in terms of research, as explained above. When you work on 200k, you often have a fuller story than when you work on 10k).

More text = more information = more "topics" = more research.

That's certainly not a given. Logically, 20 separate projects should contain more topics (or subtopics) than one big, continuous project. Even if it's not the case, well it's not necessarily what costs the most per se anyway. For an equal amount of subtopics, the continuity that exists in one big project should save you time in the end.

Long story short, there isn't really any "economy of scales" if you provide a service. I have a fixed set of rates, and my time doesn't get any cheaper just because someone wants more of it.

YES there are economies of scale! Wherever there are fixed costs, economies of scale are possible, that's science!! As for "my time doesn't get any cheaper"... see what I said to Sheila (unpaid gaps), which is more or less what Balasubramaniam has said...

Again: what says Jacques is perfectly true, unpaid gaps are not lost (at least not all, and not fully), but firstly, this is purely subjective/preferential - personally having my workdays cut into pieces and feeling like a dogsbody is not good for my self-esteem/life balance - and, secondly, I'm yet to be shown that working effectively 3 hour every 4 hours is more efficient money-wise than working with no gap...

[Edited at 2014-12-04 20:16 GMT]

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:43
English to French
Don't accept jobs with same-day delivery Dec 4, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:

Again: what says Jacques is perfectly true, unpaid gaps are not lost (at least not all, and not fully), but firstly, this is purely subjective/preferential - personally having my workdays cut into pieces and feeling like a dogsbody is not good for my self-esteem/life balance - and, secondly, I'm yet to be shown that working effectively 3 hour every 4 hours is more efficient money-wise than working with no gap...

Just don't accept jobs with same-day delivery. Then you can plan every day of work and do the various things without unwanted gaps.

I was not referring to random small gaps here and there. That would happen if your clients call you and you have to jump to your desk and do the work immediately, but at least I don't work like that.

I reply to my clients quickly all day long, so that a deadline can be set immediately, but the deadline itself is usually not before the next day.

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Discounts Dec 4, 2014

AndersonT wrote:

Someone a few posts up mentioned a 30% discount. I almost spat a mouthful of coffee over my keyboard when I saw that. I would rather spend a day doing unbillable work than throw out my work like that, because the only thing you communicate to your client(s) with discounts in that neighborhood is that you don't value your work yourself.

I'm probably the one you are referring to, and believe me I'm not a low-coster, neither someone suffering self-esteem issues. I'm just someone upright, trying to be fair in all circumstances even if that means fewer advantages for me.

Recently, I was offered a project of 55,000 words, by an agency for which my rate is 0.13 (DE>FR). My rate is higher than average for them because they work with Transit (crap, very slow) and projects are smallish (on average 200-500 words). I didn't incentivize them with a discount and they didn't beg for one either. But deep down I couldn't turn a blind eye on the massive economies of scale I would make and that's why I granted them a 15% discount when delivering. I did "give up" about 1,000 EUR I could have kept but it would have been unfair compared to the time spent. I made them happy with this surprise, showing them "we are in the same team" and I still netted some 6,000 EUR for about one month's work (20 days), which is not bad at all, especially after only 3 years of experience, even considering all the perks we are missing out as freelancers...

I value my work and my time, I have self-respect, but I will never trick clients and bill them for efforts I have not made or time not spent. Many clients will spat their mouthful of coffee if they find it out...

Have you ever seen lawyers give a discount for trials that last longer? Or surgeons give a discount for extra-long surgery? Or architects give a discount for additional levels of a building? I appreciate your perspective may be different, but I really can't see how discount for volume would make sense for a fulltime freelance service provider.

I don't know any of those professionals, so I can't answer. But I can say: 1) comparisons are for birdbrains and completely worthless (yours more than ever, many differences with the translator species) 2) it's not unlikely that if fixed costs are involved in those professions, those people actually offer discounts. It's not ridiculous to imagine a psychologist asking 70 EUR/hour for individual sessions but offering 30-session packages at reduced rates, even though they have very few fixed costs...

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Now there's nothing wrong with giving a small discount for a good reason. If you decide to give a client let's say a 5% discount on a 5000 word project for paying you immediately, I can understand that.

If you decide to charge a somewhat lower rate for a 100 or 200 000 word project, I would call that the "rate" (not a discount) for that project which a professional translator arrives at after taking into account everything (text type, complexity, your own skill set, the research involved, the deadline etc.); so that's not a simple discount. It's a rate and rates can be flexible to a certain degree. But it doesn't follow logically from the volume of a project that it will be done at a lower rate or with an automatic discount.

Automatic and/or arbitrary discounts or demands for such discounts simply for volume I consider wrong. That's not a wise thing to do.

Exactly Bernie, that's what I said earlier... Service = customized rate, so discounts is not really a topic, only for when you have standard rates, e.g. for agencies...

AndersonT (X)
AndersonT (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:43
German to English
For clarification... Dec 18, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:

Recently, I was offered a project of 55,000 words, by an agency for which my rate is 0.13 (DE>FR). My rate is higher than average for them because they work with Transit (crap, very slow) and projects are smallish (on average 200-500 words). I didn't incentivize them with a discount and they didn't beg for one either. But deep down I couldn't turn a blind eye on the massive economies of scale I would make and that's why I granted them a 15% discount when delivering. I did "give up" about 1,000 EUR I could have kept but it would have been unfair compared to the time spent. I made them happy with this surprise, showing them "we are in the same team" and I still netted some 6,000 EUR for about one month's work (20 days), which is not bad at all, especially after only 3 years of experience, even considering all the perks we are missing out as freelancers...

Frankie, I believe we are misunderstanding each other a bit. The above example is a perfectly acceptable one.

If a project turned out to have been substantially easier to handle than originally anticipated, this is only fair and square. I mean, we don't want to "rip off" clients by overcharging them.

I don't know your clientele, you don't know mine, maybe it's just not that obvious of a problem to you in your specific area. I think what the original poster was getting at was the plethora of "I give you 10,000 words more, what % is my discount?" -mentality.

This logic applies to automation or retail sales, not to a service.

Correspondingly, there are some heated reactions. In my particular fields, it seems this mentality is sharply on the rise.

Just to make myself clear here, I'm not saying clients must never be given discounts. What I am trying to say is that unexperienced or ruthless project managers that apply "the formula" as if they were buying bulk fruit are, unfortunately, becoming a nuisance.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice requested on rates for larger projects

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »