Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 00:28
English to French
Nov 24, 2014

Hi,

Usually I never accept to start a translation before seeing the source file or at least a sample of it.

To me its common sense, but maybe not to this Indian translation agency which offers me to translate 200 000 words from English to French.

Please note that the company has bad LWA on the Proz.com forums (non-payments, late payments mainly).LWA's of 1 ,2. Interestingly enough this agency had good ratings but miore than 5 years ago.

Appare
... See more
Hi,

Usually I never accept to start a translation before seeing the source file or at least a sample of it.

To me its common sense, but maybe not to this Indian translation agency which offers me to translate 200 000 words from English to French.

Please note that the company has bad LWA on the Proz.com forums (non-payments, late payments mainly).LWA's of 1 ,2. Interestingly enough this agency had good ratings but miore than 5 years ago.

Apparently the new management team is not so good.

Therefore I asked for an advance payment (20%), which was refused.I believe it is a reasonable request from me given the bas LWA of the agency. I even went down to 10% and asked for intermediate payments every 30 000 words, but no answer regarding that. (the problem too is banking charges and fees for every intermediate payments.If the agency has to pay that every time, it could amount to a hefty sum)...

I asked to see the source file or at least a sample, and they answered me that I would need to do a sample test before and that this sample would be quite similar to what I would have to translate.

And to finish I asked for the deadline and didn't get the answer.(should I add that they didn't state which CAT tool to use?)

To me the risk of not being paid or having to sue this agency if I don't get paid or late is high

However the sum involved is appealing to me and the translation falls into my specialization area.

Moreover I told them I would be ok with signing a confidentiality agreement, but no answer regarding this point too.

What would you do and what do you think?

[Edited at 2014-11-24 10:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-24 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
Member (2003)
French to English
Ignore Nov 24, 2014

All business relationships are fundamentally about trust and communication. Neither seems to be evident here. Better to spend the time and energy looking for better clients in your chosen field, surely?

Iris Schmerda
Iris Schmerda  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
French to German
+ ...
Just forget about them! Nov 24, 2014

Sorry, but I don't understand at all why you want to work for such a company.

Bad communication, bad LWA, no answer to your messages ...
I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole!

You want to translate 200 000 words for them ... you will probably do it for free. Moreover, with a project of that size you won't be available for other, more reliable clients for weeks/months.

Why take such a risk ????

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't touch it Nov 24, 2014

Personally, I wouldn't even be considering working for a company with bad ratings and previous problems with non-payment, especially for a job of this size.

I also wouldn't commit to a job without seeing the source text, again especially for a job of this size.

Up to you, of course, but I think you are asking for trouble taking this on. I'm not sure why you are even considering it.

Rachel

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Run away Nov 24, 2014

Your post is full of warning signs that this isn't going to end well, you say yourself you are only considering it cause of the volume of words, problem is 200000 words will take a lot of your time, time you won't be working for anyone else and if it all goes wrong you will be in a mess.

Listen to your own warning signs and don't accept this job.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What advice would you give... Nov 24, 2014

...in a situation such as yours (step back for a minute and take a long, hard look).

Bad BB rating?
No sample text?
No set deadline?
Admitted worries about collecting for the job?
HUGE job (as would be your loss of monies not collected AND potential income lost from legit jobs in the event of payment issues)?

LISTEN to your "inner businessperson" and RUN, RUN, RUN.

You'd be better off marketing yourself to REAL translation agencies i
... See more
...in a situation such as yours (step back for a minute and take a long, hard look).

Bad BB rating?
No sample text?
No set deadline?
Admitted worries about collecting for the job?
HUGE job (as would be your loss of monies not collected AND potential income lost from legit jobs in the event of payment issues)?

LISTEN to your "inner businessperson" and RUN, RUN, RUN.

You'd be better off marketing yourself to REAL translation agencies if you have some free time on your hands.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Nov 24, 2014

Rachel Waddington wrote:

....... I'm not sure why you are even considering it.

Rachel

I agree

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The risk seems to be too high Nov 24, 2014

Let's do the numbers: 200 000 words, 2 000 words a day (I am stretching it; you will have to attend other customers too, I presume), equals 100 days of you work, and your life. This is more than 3 months.

In my experience, the typical workflow is as follows:

1. Contact (either way)
2. Sign NDA
2. Translation test, if proper
3. Feedback
4. Provided succeeded, check on availability
5. Provided available, check on conditions
6. Provided
... See more
Let's do the numbers: 200 000 words, 2 000 words a day (I am stretching it; you will have to attend other customers too, I presume), equals 100 days of you work, and your life. This is more than 3 months.

In my experience, the typical workflow is as follows:

1. Contact (either way)
2. Sign NDA
2. Translation test, if proper
3. Feedback
4. Provided succeeded, check on availability
5. Provided available, check on conditions
6. Provided agreed, source file or part thereof (PO, I would say, is optional, but most of the agencies do send it)
7. Actual work and delivery
8. Possible feedback
9. Payment

I only accept jobs without first checking the source text if the request comes from a steady customer and I now what kind of text it will be. And this practice is not risk free either, but at least you know this customer is not dealing with zoology (if you do business-related texts, for instance).

Coming back to the first point, it is just way over the top to put at risk three months of your income. It will not make you stronger, it can actually harm your business.

[Edited at 2014-11-24 11:23 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Use the special file Nov 24, 2014

All you have listed raises one red flag after the other.

When communication is already that poor at the beginning, then you can surely imagine what it will be like when it's time to get paid.

You've already wasted too much of your time...unpaid. Surely you know better things to spend your time doing and...do get paid.

Send all communication with this agency to File 13, also known as the "Del
... See more
All you have listed raises one red flag after the other.

When communication is already that poor at the beginning, then you can surely imagine what it will be like when it's time to get paid.

You've already wasted too much of your time...unpaid. Surely you know better things to spend your time doing and...do get paid.

Send all communication with this agency to File 13, also known as the "Deleted" file.
Collapse

Aakash5555
Aakash5555
India
Local time: 03:58
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Not to proceed would be better Nov 24, 2014

Your post is full of bad and dubious signs about the Agency. I would say that it would be better for you to avoid dealing with this Agency or you should at least ask for staggered payment schedule with some payment in advance. I have faced situations in the past where I had to literally run behind the client to get my payment. So, go ahead with caution.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Don't work with them. Nov 24, 2014

I would not work with them.

Grace Shalhoub
Grace Shalhoub  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
No Indian clients for me Nov 24, 2014

Have they even agreed to pay a decent rate? I usually get offers of $0.01 for Hebrew-English and it used to drive me crazy. Today I simply ignore them and wish no translator would accept these projects.

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Never ever Nov 24, 2014

From what you have written, this client is not worth trying... it is highly likely you will be left empty-handed and disappointed. I would never ever work under such circumstances!

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
... Nov 24, 2014

The translation industry, the only industry in the world where India subcontracts to Europe!!!

(It's not off-topic; just a way of saying "why the hell are you working for India in the first place?")

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Indians are hard-working people. Please respect them. Nov 24, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:

The translation industry, the only industry in the world where India subcontracts to Europe!!!

(It's not off-topic; just a way of saying "why the hell are you working for India in the first place?")

And why wouldn't I be working with them? I don't have any preconceived ideas about Indians. They are hard-working people and I respect that. We are in a global economy.

A French freelance translator working with (and not for!) an Indian translation agency is not sub-contracting I believe.Its a business relationship like any other.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agency refuses to send source file before accepting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »