New to Site: Looking for work. Transcription.
Thread poster: Gunne
Gunne
Gunne
United States
Oct 23, 2014

Hello, I am new to this site. I found this site on a website I came across discussing transcribers, and it said this site is legitimate.

I am looking to get my foot in the door. Real jobs are few and far between for me for personal reasons. I do not have transcription equipment at the moment, but I am looking for work and Transcription is something I am interested in. I am an excellent typist with minimum errors. I can usually hit around 100 WPM. I can also prove this.

... See more
Hello, I am new to this site. I found this site on a website I came across discussing transcribers, and it said this site is legitimate.

I am looking to get my foot in the door. Real jobs are few and far between for me for personal reasons. I do not have transcription equipment at the moment, but I am looking for work and Transcription is something I am interested in. I am an excellent typist with minimum errors. I can usually hit around 100 WPM. I can also prove this.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have been looking at a few of the online work from home sites, but there is such a waiting list. A few require that you already have some experience. I have been searching for awhile now on a path in life I would really enjoy, and this looks like it could be my final stop.

Any help is definitely appreciated. Thank you for reading this.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do you speak two languages? Oct 23, 2014

ProZ.com is certainly a legitimate site, but it's really for translators and interpreters. Most of the work here involves two languages, minimum. So maybe it isn't the place for you to find work. Potential drawbacks for you include:

- I doubt there would be enough monolingual English work for it to be worth thinking of as a major income stream
- Some of the monolingual work involves non-native speakers and being able to speak their native language is a definite advantage... See more
ProZ.com is certainly a legitimate site, but it's really for translators and interpreters. Most of the work here involves two languages, minimum. So maybe it isn't the place for you to find work. Potential drawbacks for you include:

- I doubt there would be enough monolingual English work for it to be worth thinking of as a major income stream
- Some of the monolingual work involves non-native speakers and being able to speak their native language is a definite advantage
- Some of the posters will prefer to communicate in another language
- Some will want to pay in currencies other than USD
- Many posters will be outside your country, which brings extra admin of the type that all translators are used to.

There might be a few English monolingual transcriptions that you could do, but I wouldn't bank on it on this site. Sorry.
Collapse

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:48
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Gunne Oct 24, 2014

Hi there,

I totally agree with Sheila here. And please believe me, I am by no means trying to discourgage you from reaching out and achieving your goals in life, but transcription actually takes a lot more than being an excellent typist.

It has more to do with being an execllent listener who is also capable of fitting all that is heard into an often very limited amount of characters. It requires essential skills to obtain and maintain a certain client database in order
... See more
Hi there,

I totally agree with Sheila here. And please believe me, I am by no means trying to discourgage you from reaching out and achieving your goals in life, but transcription actually takes a lot more than being an excellent typist.

It has more to do with being an execllent listener who is also capable of fitting all that is heard into an often very limited amount of characters. It requires essential skills to obtain and maintain a certain client database in order to provide you with more or less decent means of living, marketing, negotiating, invoicing, chasing outstanding invoices and a whole lot more.

My question to you is: how can you be sure that this is what you want to do with your time/life without knowing what it actually comprehends or without the adequate software to do that at all? Without a strategy/plan? Without any experience in the field?

If, in fact, you believe that ProZ is a legitimate site, then your profile sure does not acknowledge that you actually believe that too, which is a shame, because people here work very hard, with utter dedication!

Please do not feel offended or attacked here, just see it as an attempt to have you see what your message reflects.

Best of luck,
Nicole.
Collapse

xxLecraxx (X)
xxLecraxx (X)
Germany
Local time: 19:48
French to German
+ ...
transcription is not easy Oct 27, 2014

Hello there

I've been transcribing on and off for a few years: I've transcribed hundreds of hours of audio - group discussions, interviews, bilingual recordings, I've made transcriptions for special purposes... but I stopped. Why?

It's poorly paid. It's exhausting. It's boring. It's unnerving. Short: Consider whether it's worth it or not, at least for me it wasn't. Did you already try it? You won't believe how strenuous 8 hours of transcription work can be. I was compl
... See more
Hello there

I've been transcribing on and off for a few years: I've transcribed hundreds of hours of audio - group discussions, interviews, bilingual recordings, I've made transcriptions for special purposes... but I stopped. Why?

It's poorly paid. It's exhausting. It's boring. It's unnerving. Short: Consider whether it's worth it or not, at least for me it wasn't. Did you already try it? You won't believe how strenuous 8 hours of transcription work can be. I was completely unable to think straight after a working day of transcribing, even watching TV was hard. And while being totally uncreative, transcribing is very difficult! You have to have excellent listening skills - you will find that many audio files are of very inferiour quality and that often the speakers talk at the same time, use dialects etc. While some transcriptions require only the 3- to 4-fold of the recording time, in many cases, one hour of audio can boil down to as much as 8 to 10 hours of transcription work! Group discussions with 5 or 6 or more participants, bad quality recordings, lots of technical hard-to-understand terms, dialects, foreign accents... believe me, I know what I'm talking about. You must be able to estimate this beforehand, and charge accordingly.

I'm still thankful that one day my brain told me to give it up. Don't get me wrong, if it was well paid, maybe I would do it again. But in general it isn't well paid at all - quite the contrary.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Site: Looking for work. Transcription.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »