Manon Gaimard
Manon Gaimard  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:17
Italian to French
+ ...
Oct 1, 2014

Good evening everyone,

I've been ask to draw up an estimate for a telephone interpreting service between French and Italian.
They would need my services 2 hours a week for 1 or 2 months in a French city which is a bit distant from mine (130 km).
I've calculated I should charge them 50€ for transportation costs but have no idea of how much to charge for the interpretation since I've mostly worked in Italy so far.

How much do you personally charge for thi
... See more
Good evening everyone,

I've been ask to draw up an estimate for a telephone interpreting service between French and Italian.
They would need my services 2 hours a week for 1 or 2 months in a French city which is a bit distant from mine (130 km).
I've calculated I should charge them 50€ for transportation costs but have no idea of how much to charge for the interpretation since I've mostly worked in Italy so far.

How much do you personally charge for this type of interpretation?

Thank you
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Rates Oct 1, 2014

As for rates, you could have a look at Proz's average rates here: http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

Don't forget to count the time you spend travelling too. It is not an employer, it is a client requiring you to come to them, and just like a plumber bills cost and time for transportation, so should you.

If there is péage, you need to take that into account too.
... See more
As for rates, you could have a look at Proz's average rates here: http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

Don't forget to count the time you spend travelling too. It is not an employer, it is a client requiring you to come to them, and just like a plumber bills cost and time for transportation, so should you.

If there is péage, you need to take that into account too.

Since it is on the phone, I do wonder why they haven't organised a solution that allows you to talk from home. Driving 2 x 130 km just to be on the phone seems a bit pointless to me, but if they pay for the mileage and driving time, it's their problem.

€0.20/km is already in the low end for mileage, but if it covers your costs, you can go with it.

Something else to think about is that your car insurance should cover such professional driving, as this isn't a private purpose. That could increase the cost of insurance, and that would be a good reason to use the barême fiscal for mileage rates. You may get away with using a cover for private driving only, but it would be nasty to find yourself with no insurance cover in the odd case that something does go wrong, because you were using the car for something else than it was insured for. Some insurers do try to look for excuses not to pay.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:17
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My 2c worth Oct 1, 2014

Manon Gaimard wrote:

Surely it's going to take you two hours each way, isn't it? If you're driving then you won't be able to do any work at all, so they need to recompense you for those lost hours, and you'll have fuel and possibly tolls to pay on top of wear and tear. If you use the train you may be able to work a little but you'll have the ticket to be refunded. You may be prepared to accept less than full pay for travel time, but be careful not to sell 6 hours of your time for a peanut or two.

As for when you're working, you need to charge your normal hourly rate. whatever that is. Don't let the fact that it's supposed to be a regular gig lead you to quote a lower rate. It could fizzle out next week and anyway, an hour of your time is worth an hour of your time, however many hours you do.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:17
Russian to English
+ ...
The rates for telephone interpreting are usually Oct 2, 2014

$60-100/hr. Did you mean interpreting--not customer service in another language. The rates for customer service work are much lower--more like $15-30/hr. Telephone interpreting is much harder and more stressful than any other type of interpreting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephone interpreting rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »