What would be a fair payment for my reviewer?
Thread poster: MillaSol
MillaSol
MillaSol
United States
English to Portuguese
Oct 1, 2014

Hello,

I'm hiring a reviewer for this big project (a software that needs to be translated from English into Portuguese) and I'm not sure if the estimate he's giving me is fair. What would be a fair price?

Details:
English into Portuguese
Over 150,000 words
Deadline: December 15, 2014

Thank you!

golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Re: your inquiry Oct 2, 2014

13 500 USD is a fair price. If it is technical, throw another pair thousand on top.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:15
English to French
How much do you think is fair? Oct 2, 2014

Let us know how good you think the translation will be before review and how much time you think the reviewer will spend on this task, and we'll let you know how fair your assessment is.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 01:15
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Typically Oct 2, 2014

Review typically comes in at around one-third to half of the rate for translation (his rate, not yours). Most people will however want to use an hourly rate, simply because there is no telling beforehand how good or bad the translation is.

When using an hourly rate, I usually estimate a pace of about 1000 words per hour. That works, if the translation is good to begin with.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The quality of your translation will make the price Oct 2, 2014

I agree with Philippe. It is the quality of your translation that will make the price...

I ask for 0,02 to 0,03 € per word for reviewing texts which have an excellent quality. When there are more changes to make it's 0,06 € per word for me, but I already had documents I had to ask 0,10 € per word and more because translation was that bad...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If it was me... Oct 2, 2014

MillaSol wrote:
Details:
English into Portuguese
Over 150,000 words
Deadline: December 15, 2014

I don't do this language pair, but if it was my language pair, then the deadline would be acceptable, and my quote would be USD 4500 for non-EU clients or EUR 4500 for EU clients.

Note that this includes editing in a straight-forward CAT format only... it does not include beta testing the localised software. If the client wanted me to use a localisation-specific CAT tool, then the rate would be higher too, since such software typically yields slightly better translations while making the translation take much, much longer.

150 000 words sounds like it might include the user manual...

golf264 wrote:
13 500 USD is a fair price. If it is technical, throw another pair thousand on top.

That would have been my translation price, if the client was from a 1st world country. But I find that localisation is often outsourced to [highly skilled, extremely well organised] agencies in 3rd world countries often pay less than half of what a 1st world country agency would offer.

Of course, for editing this type of work I very quickly renegotiate the price if it turns out that the translation was done by a buffoon.

MillaSol
MillaSol
United States
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Oct 2, 2014

Thank you all for your responses.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would be a fair payment for my reviewer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »