Translation, Subtitling and Proofreading Rates for Greek language.
Thread poster: Kyriaki Kiza
Kyriaki Kiza
Kyriaki Kiza
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:37
English to Greek
+ ...
Sep 9, 2014

Hello,
I really need your help!
I am a translator in the UK for a year now but I am still confused with the rates regarding translations, subtitling and proofreading.
I must admit my rates vary depending on the job but i'd rather stick to a fixed rate and then if I must adjust it.
I translate from and to Greek (from English).
I have checked online for average rates but it varies... Per hour, per word, some say its the same... I don't want to ask for too much and
... See more
Hello,
I really need your help!
I am a translator in the UK for a year now but I am still confused with the rates regarding translations, subtitling and proofreading.
I must admit my rates vary depending on the job but i'd rather stick to a fixed rate and then if I must adjust it.
I translate from and to Greek (from English).
I have checked online for average rates but it varies... Per hour, per word, some say its the same... I don't want to ask for too much and lose jobs but neither the opposite.
More or less what is the preferred rates to have in your opinion?
Thank you all!
Regards,
Kyriaki
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How much is your hourly rate? Sep 10, 2014

You don't need to tell us, but you do have to know what you need/want to charge for an hour of you time. There's a tool here to help you calculate your needs.

Once you have that figure you can calculate how much that equates to per word, page, subtitle, audio minute...

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Typical 'market rates' are just as important to know Sep 10, 2014

I would like to earn €1000/hour, but if others who are equally qualified will do the same job for €50/hour, it's no good to base these calculations on what I want, as I'll most likely get no work with such a rate. I need to take the market and the typical price range into consideration.

So the question is also, what are the typical hourly and other rates on the market?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
More ideas Sep 10, 2014

Thomas Frost wrote:
I would like to earn €1000/hour, but if others who are equally qualified will do the same job for €50/hour, it's no good to base these calculations on what I want, as I'll most likely get no work with such a rate. I need to take the market and the typical price range into consideration.

OTOH, it's no use basing your rate on what you think others are asking if you then work all hours of the day and night and yet can't afford things that a burger-flipper can afford. If you work out how much you really need to earn at least you have the bottom line.
So the question is also, what are the typical hourly and other rates on the market?

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates gives a reasonable guide to the rates people here are asking, but like any statistic it only really works where enough reliable data has been gathered, so treat it with a large pinch of salt. I wouldn't say the figures are "typical" - they just give you a ball-park figure, so at least you should be able to identify those agencies you don't want to associate with. Anyway, the tool fails to take account of where you live, how qualified you are, how much experience you have...

The other tool I referred to earlier is here: http://www.proz.com/translator-rates-calculator/

By the way, proofreading should always be quoted on an hourly rate unless you know (a) the quality of the text/translation, and (b) how perfect a result the clients wants (errors corrected only or improved style, etc).

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 06:37
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
subtitling Sep 10, 2014

Subtitling, even translation and proofreading takes longer and rates are much higher, as you need to check more things; subtitling is time consuming so rates are high, and translating them and proofreading them too as you have to coordinate and check the subtitling number, the seconds or parts of seconds, issues regarding who is talking, who is answering and on which lines these have been put. There are a lot of rules with regards to these and you have to stick to them, whether you are doing the... See more
Subtitling, even translation and proofreading takes longer and rates are much higher, as you need to check more things; subtitling is time consuming so rates are high, and translating them and proofreading them too as you have to coordinate and check the subtitling number, the seconds or parts of seconds, issues regarding who is talking, who is answering and on which lines these have been put. There are a lot of rules with regards to these and you have to stick to them, whether you are doing the subtitling, the translation or the proofreading. Hope this helps.Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Useful page, thanks Sep 14, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:
http://search.proz.com/employers/rates gives a reasonable guide to the rates people here are asking,

That one is very helpful indeed, thanks.

My point is that setting prices is a compromise between several opposing factors and not just a calculation of what one 'needs'. Not taking the market/competition into account would be a serious error.

In fiscal matters, you hear people talk about the Laffer curve that describes the total tax revenue as a function of tax rates. The point is that when tax rates go above a certain level, the total tax revenues will fall because the high tax rates discourage tax-generating activities. Something similar is the case for prices in general. You may increase your prices up to a certain point and still increase your total revenue, but from the point where your prices are perceived as outrageous, your total revenues will start falling. Ideally, one should aim for the highest point on that Laffer curve. If what one 'needs' is above that, then one has probably chosen the wrong profession. The exact curve is individual for each service provider; the more value he or she can provide, and the more competent he or she is, the higher the prices can go.

In the other end, setting prices too low will obviously reduce total revenue at the same amount of work, and it may discourage customers if they think the quality will be as low as the price.

It is, in fact, a rather complex question to set the optimum price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation, Subtitling and Proofreading Rates for Greek language.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »