Thread poster: Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
Local time: 05:07
English
+ ...
Jul 22, 2014

Hello,

Do you know how much we should charge for writing a set of user documentation/help articles and a set of FAQ questions and answers for an electronic device.

We do have an idea of the number of articles and their size.

Both we and the client are the US North East.

Thank you for your advice.

-Alex

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Copywriting? Jul 22, 2014

This is monolingual copywriting, is it? I don't know whether many people here will have much of an idea of copywriting rates, other than you'd probably charge your hourly rate. I certainly don't know although my "heavy editing" or marketing material often gets close to copywriting. I simply charge the same hourly rate for my time, whatever I'm doing apart from translating.

Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
Local time: 05:07
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, monoligual. Jul 22, 2014

Thank you for your thoughts.

Not just copywriting but also setting appropriate hyperlinks etc. within a Help infrastructure.

But this is a bit different because while editing depends on the translation quality, and therefore it is not my fault when I have to spend twice the expected time re-writing somebody's poor text, this time we are producing our own copy and know the amount of work. I do not know what to charge since I have not done this before and therefore also
... See more
Thank you for your thoughts.

Not just copywriting but also setting appropriate hyperlinks etc. within a Help infrastructure.

But this is a bit different because while editing depends on the translation quality, and therefore it is not my fault when I have to spend twice the expected time re-writing somebody's poor text, this time we are producing our own copy and know the amount of work. I do not know what to charge since I have not done this before and therefore also expect that it will take me more time than it would had I had experience. I do not want to charge my client for the extra time. That is why I am trying to figure out a fare bulk sum.
Collapse

dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Technical writing? Jul 31, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

This is monolingual copywriting, is it? I don't know whether many people here will have much of an idea of copywriting rates, other than you'd probably charge your hourly rate. I certainly don't know although my "heavy editing" or marketing material often gets close to copywriting. I simply charge the same hourly rate for my time, whatever I'm doing apart from translating.

This sounds like technical writing to me -- copywriting refers to promotional and advertising texts.
In copywriting I charge on a project basis (i.e. flat fee). I suppose the same can be done with technical writing.

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

User documentation and FAQ pricing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »