Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Proofreading related work, should it be paid for?
Thread poster: Nehad Hussein
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:07
French to English
PM C Jul 15, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

Let me elaborate on the behavior of PM A and the possible behavior of PM B

When I worked as PM I doubled up as editor/proofreader. If as I edited/proofread I saw that the translator hadn't bothered to read the instructions, I would make the corrections (provided it didn't take me too long) and send them something like:

"thanks you for your translation which was great, except you forgot to put the dates in US English. Please remember to apply the rules as set out in the style guide, which I am attaching again should you not have kept it from last time.

If I could see that correcting their mistakes would take me too long I would ask them to do it.

If the same happened again, they would get a stiffer reminder and I would ask them to make the corrections, thinking that it would perhaps help them to remember if they did the corrections themselves. I would only bother if the translator was really great on all other points. The fact that they failed to apply instructions would be added to the database, so nobody would bother giving them stuff involving anything more than straight translation. They would then be offered less work as a result since they were shown not to be trustworthy for complex jobs.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
Yup! Jul 15, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

Texte Style wrote:
However it probably takes the same amount of time to hit "reply" to your delivery mail and say "please correct your mistakes" than than to transfer it on to the editor and say "BTW you need to correct the translator's mistakes".

So are you telling us when you were a PM, you only considered which was more efficient for yourself, instead of what is more efficient for the job itself, or for everybody involved including the linguists?

I'm afraid so, yes. Whether or not I was running the risk of losing a valued translator would be factored into the equation, but when push came to shove, I was not paid for overtime and my children were my priority.

And if I were dealing with a translator who had not bothered to read and apply instructions, I wouldn't be all that bothered if they didn't like how I treated them.

I sometimes bent over backwards to accommodate top-rate translators, but my top-rate translators all read and applied instructions.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
It's not about punishment Jul 15, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

your error; your responsibility to fix.

When you are assigned a job to finish 4000 words a day, and you are paid a translation only fee, and you are told that someone will edit your draft, my question for you:

1) Will you be able to create a copy that has no error at all? If you can, tell me how, so that I can learn something.

2) If the editor who work on our your file doesn't make any correction but points out various mistakes on your version, and the PM tells you "it is your error; your responsibility to fix", what will be your response?

[Edited at 2014-07-14 10:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-14 10:33 GMT]

I wouldn't accept a job if I weren't sure of being able to produce top-quality work. That means making sure I don't take on too many words. I would only be able to do 4000 words a day if it were boring instructions, and when I'm bored I don't pay enough attention, so I only take on stuff that interests me, and don't commit to more than 3,000 at most.

I make sure there are no errors by going over absolutely everything several times, reading it back to front and inside out, and having another person check my work too. I also insist on "next day delivery", so I have a night's sleep between draft and polish stages.

If a mistake does slip through, I check whether it is really an error (often it isn't in which case I'll provide evidence) then I correct it myself, and apologise profusely, and unilaterally deduct something from the bill or offer to do the next small job for free. I consider it the very least I can do to make up for the time the client had to waste on my error.

So I will not discuss it any more after this.

My themes: 1.As a PM, you don't have to punish the translator by forcing him or her to correct the error you have found, particularly when a copy that requires 2 more steps (editing and proofreading) is involved. And if you do enjoy punishing somebody rather than use a more efficient solution, you are at the risk of losing your qualified linguists. This is a matter of attitudes and behavior in your project management work.

2. An error is already there, and it has to be corrected. A more efficient way should be used to correct it. When judging what is more efficient, everybody involved should be considered: you, the one who created the draft, and the linguist to edit the copy. All people involved constitute a whole team, and the waste of time of anybody in the team by going for the less efficient way is eventually a loss for everybody.

3. If you as a PM want to maintain a long term relationship with the linguists you value, sometime you have to be flexible, polite and accommodating.

I think the particular PM was poor in all these aspects and sooner or later, the linguists will all stop working for them and this would lead to her being fired.

If anybody doesn't understand these points, I will find his or her comments not worthwhile replying to, no matter what they want to say.

[Edited at 2014-07-15 00:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-15 02:26 GMT]

It's not about punishment, it's about ensuring that translators follow the instructions. Ensuring that the person who made the mistake is the person who then spends time correcting it. If I have to pay the editor more to clean up the translator's mistakes, I don't see that the agency is winning out on this project, unless, of course the translator deducts that extra money from his own invoice. I don't remember seeing anything about that.

Working as a team is supposed to mean everybody pulling hard together in the same direction, not an opportunity to slack off when you see others can do stuff for you.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quality...my responsibility. Jul 15, 2014

Quality includes following the client's instructions.

If the instructions for the project are long and complicated, I make sure the time I will take to read and understand them is included in my quote. If the client doesn't want to pay for my time to read and comprehend detailed instructions, I don't accept the job...because, the way I see it, the job is to comply with the instructions.

If, despite my best efforts, I misunderstand the instructions or simply make a mist
... See more

If the instructions for the project are long and complicated, I make sure the time I will take to read and understand them is included in my quote. If the client doesn't want to pay for my time to read and comprehend detailed instructions, I don't accept the job...because, the way I see it, the job is to comply with the instructions.

If, despite my best efforts, I misunderstand the instructions or simply make a mistake, no matter how minor, it is my responsibility to correct it. I always apologize to the client/PM as well for the stress and time wasted, as I was hired to deliver the very best translation possible in accordance with the client's instructions. The client sets the parameters for the project, not me: I fulfill them to the best of my ability, and when I fail, I make the corrections as quickly as possible. "Cost effectiveness" doesn't enter into the equation: I was hired to do the job right, therefore the job is mine to do right, regardless of whether it takes me more time to bring the quality up to par than the editor or not.

Perfection is generally unattainable: most people understand this. Striving for perfection, however, is what leads us to produce our very best.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Where's the Like button? Jul 15, 2014

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

Perfection is generally unattainable: most people understand this. Striving for perfection, however, is what leads us to produce our very best.

That is the what I aim at when translating, and the kind of translator I like proofreading for.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:07
Chinese to English
Striving for perfection (except on Wednesday mornings) Jul 16, 2014

...striving for perfection...top-rate translators all read and applied instructions...the desire to hand in a perfect job...

I feel compelled to voice a measure of support for JYuan here. We often discuss on this forum how the industry has become money-oriented, and we translators are often the only people in the chain standing up for quality. And we do. We try to make things perfect all the time.

But sometimes we're businesspeople, too. And we get to decide what business we're in.

I also think that everyone commenting here seems to have overlooked one detail of JYuan's story: he did the corrections. The story is: translator starts working for a client; project seems to be going well; client hits translator with request for finicky edits; translator does edits, decides this client is not worth the time input; translator ends working relationship with client. There is no fault anywhere in this story. A client has the right to demand all the edits they want; we have a right to choose who we work for.

Because sometimes we get frustrated with it all, you know? Like you - and like JYuan, I'm pretty sure - I strive for perfection every day. But just occasionally I'm not up to it. Some Wednesdays I wake up with a thick head, and I just can't go the extra mile that morning. What sets good professionals apart is not actually the perfection we achieve sometimes; it's the competence we display when we can't achieve perfection. Competence like doing JYuan doing everything the client asks and choosing to walk away from the job rather than risk further friction.

Texte, I also think you slightly misstate the job of the PM. Whether or not you get paid overtime is absolutely irrelevant to the question of responsibility for a project. If you're the Project Manager, this project belongs to you. From the translator's perspective, the internal salary arrangements of the agency are not important. What is important is that the agency - and the PM representing the agency - own the project. They do not give responsibility to us. We don't get to choose our own proofreaders (we just have to deal with whoever they find for us). We don't get to talk to the client about style issues (we just have to live with whatever "the passive is weak" stylesheet we are given). The project doesn't belong to us. So when we see a PM making choices which are not about optimizing the project, but about covering a PM's ass ("I'm not paid overtime!"), we rightly see this as a failure to take responsibility.

Yesterday I had a PowerPoint failure (anyone else had error 1935?). I ended up over deadline, because there were 20 words in a ppt that had to be changed in an Excel graphic, and my computer wouldn't open it. This was a direct client, so I called the contact, and she said, "Oh, just put them in a note and send them to us. I can have someone do it here." Hallelujah! Job done. I'm not trying to wriggle out of responsibility here: I messed up, the fault was mine. But her attitude was one of perfect get-the-job-done professionalism, and everyone's day suddenly became much easier. When JYuan meets someone who doesn't have that attitude... Sometimes it's better just to walk away.

Oh, and there's issues of scope of expertise - is my skill really in fixing dates? I dunno. Look, everything that's been written about the urge to perfection and taking responsibility is right. But I think that the realities of the job often pull us in another direction. And we are all commercial entities, too. Sometimes a job is just not worth the time or the irritation.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:07
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aha Jul 16, 2014

Texte Style wrote:
I sometimes bent over backwards to accommodate top-rate translators, but my top-rate translators all read and applied instructions.

Hmmm, you actually don't need to accommodate your top translators if they all read and applied instructions.

[Edited at 2014-07-16 16:50 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is a punishment Jul 16, 2014

Texte Style wrote:
It's not about punishment, it's about ensuring that translators follow the instructions.

You can send them a friendly reminder. You don't need to force me to do something that can be done in a more economical way. If you consider someone has done something brutal and you respond with something more brutal, it only means you over-react.

Someone used a metaphor of a cleaner VS someone throwing garbage on the street, and his opinion got supported by someone else. if someone spit on the ground, no matter for what reason, do you remind her not to do so again, or do you push her head to the ground to lick the spit dry?

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It would not happen again Jul 16, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

If the same happened again, they would get a stiffer reminder.

It would not happen again.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your case is totally different then Jul 16, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

When I know the client is going to have a competent person check my work, and when that person will be liaising with me to deal with any questions, I may forego the second pair of eyes stage, and they get a discount accordingly.

As a lone translator, I don't usually accept projects involving more than one step in the translation process.

In a lot of cases ( I would say in most cases), the translator, editor and proofer are blinded to each other, and this is to ensure everybody works in an objective manner. Whether that purpose can be achieved is another matter. Some translation agencies even asked me to change my user name into "Editor" or "proofer" when I reviewed someone else's jobs, so that the original translator cannot figure out who did the editing/proofreading at the track change marks.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good place to finish? Jul 16, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:
if someone spit on the ground, no matter for what reason, do you remind her not to do so again, or do you push her head to the ground to lick the spit dry?

Personally, I would react immediately with a grimace, because that would be unavoidable - an automatic reaction. But we're all different; we all have different standards of behaviour. So I'd then just make sure I didn't get involved further, as in moving out of reach, turning my eyes away, and walking on.

Perhaps that's what we should do now - move onto other things. After all, the OP's question has been fully answered.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
Accommodating translators Jul 16, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Hmmm, you actually don't need to accommodate your top translators if they all read your top-rate translators all read and applied instructions.

By bending over backwards to accommodate top-rate translators, I mean that I wouldn't make them do a couple of piddly corrections that I could do myself, I would negotiate harder to extend a deadline for them, or apply a surcharge, I would hound the client to give answers in time for the translator to be able to check the entire document in light of those answers, I would spend time converting pesky pdfs rather than letting them handle it, or repair formatting problems in the target file. I could spend time doing all this because I could proofread their stuff in only half the time needed to proofread stuff by other translators.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your agency doesn't need to pay more to the editor Jul 16, 2014

Texte Style wrote:
If I have to pay the editor more to clean up the translator's mistakes, I don't see that the agency is winning out on this project, unless, of course the translator deducts that extra money from his own invoice. I don't remember seeing anything about that.

And the editor got $0.04 per word to edit the draft produced by this translator, and except for the change of the date format ( presumably 5 minutes are needed), probably he didn't need to make any other changes. And the editor can edit about 2000 words an hour on a file translated by this translator. And this editor's hourly rate is $30. When he edited this translator's files, he made $80 an hour.

And this translator refused to work with this company any more. They could find someone with similar quality, but it may take them years to find. Not that many equivalents in the translator pool in the market.

[Edited at 2014-07-16 13:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-16 16:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-16 16:48 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Haha, please feel free to do so. Jul 16, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:
if someone spit on the ground, no matter for what reason, do you remind her not to do so again, or do you push her head to the ground to lick the spit dry?

Personally, I would react immediately with a grimace, because that would be unavoidable - an automatic reaction. But we're all different; we all have different standards of behaviour. So I'd then just make sure I didn't get involved further, as in moving out of reach, turning my eyes away, and walking on.

Perhaps that's what we should do now - move onto other things. After all, the OP's question has been fully answered.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Eventually someone read the details and thought about the issue the other way around Jul 16, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

...striving for perfection...top-rate translators all read and applied instructions...the desire to hand in a perfect job...

I feel compelled to voice a measure of support for JYuan here. We often discuss on this forum how the industry has become money-oriented, and we translators are often the only people in the chain standing up for quality. And we do. We try to make things perfect all the time.

But sometimes we're businesspeople, too. And we get to decide what business we're in.

I also think that everyone commenting here seems to have overlooked one detail of JYuan's story: he did the corrections. The story is: translator starts working for a client; project seems to be going well; client hits translator with request for finicky edits; translator does edits, decides this client is not worth the time input; translator ends working relationship with client. There is no fault anywhere in this story. A client has the right to demand all the edits they want; we have a right to choose who we work for.

Because sometimes we get frustrated with it all, you know? Like you - and like JYuan, I'm pretty sure - I strive for perfection every day. But just occasionally I'm not up to it. Some Wednesdays I wake up with a thick head, and I just can't go the extra mile that morning. What sets good professionals apart is not actually the perfection we achieve sometimes; it's the competence we display when we can't achieve perfection. Competence like doing JYuan doing everything the client asks and choosing to walk away from the job rather than risk further friction.

Texte, I also think you slightly misstate the job of the PM. Whether or not you get paid overtime is absolutely irrelevant to the question of responsibility for a project. If you're the Project Manager, this project belongs to you. From the translator's perspective, the internal salary arrangements of the agency are not important. What is important is that the agency - and the PM representing the agency - own the project. They do not give responsibility to us. We don't get to choose our own proofreaders (we just have to deal with whoever they find for us). We don't get to talk to the client about style issues (we just have to live with whatever "the passive is weak" stylesheet we are given). The project doesn't belong to us. So when we see a PM making choices which are not about optimizing the project, but about covering a PM's ass ("I'm not paid overtime!"), we rightly see this as a failure to take responsibility.

Yesterday I had a PowerPoint failure (anyone else had error 1935?). I ended up over deadline, because there were 20 words in a ppt that had to be changed in an Excel graphic, and my computer wouldn't open it. This was a direct client, so I called the contact, and she said, "Oh, just put them in a note and send them to us. I can have someone do it here." Hallelujah! Job done. I'm not trying to wriggle out of responsibility here: I messed up, the fault was mine. But her attitude was one of perfect get-the-job-done professionalism, and everyone's day suddenly became much easier. When JYuan meets someone who doesn't have that attitude... Sometimes it's better just to walk away.

Oh, and there's issues of scope of expertise - is my skill really in fixing dates? I dunno. Look, everything that's been written about the urge to perfection and taking responsibility is right. But I think that the realities of the job often pull us in another direction. And we are all commercial entities, too. Sometimes a job is just not worth the time or the irritation.

And you tend to think neutrally and not to put something either black or white. And your comments are always to the points.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading related work, should it be paid for?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »