Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why is Proz.com supporting free human translation?
Thread poster: texjax DDS PhD
Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:16
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
They're into fun Apr 23, 2014

Now I see! These are the same people who had the brilliant idea to organise a translation contest.
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/263215-ideas_for_translator_contest_prizes.html#2255287
They're also working on putting "the entire industry at the edge of extinction." Troll marketing 2.0.

Cheers,
Gerard

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Hilarious Apr 23, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

is that a quick research on Google showed some surprising results… (http://www.lackuna.com/2012/03/19/the-magic-of-proz-com/

Yes, let's eradicate translators from the translation "industry". They always complain about everything.

When Proz.com display ads related to such initiatives, do they endorse them?

Philippe

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:16
French to English
Did we mention the money? Apr 23, 2014

Philippe Etienne wrote:

When Proz.com display ads related to such initiatives, do they endorse them?

Philippe, old bean, you've been here long enough to know by now this website endorses only one thing. Money.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
I'm with Joanna...brilliant reply. Apr 23, 2014

Joanna Carroll wrote:

Just a quick note to say this was a brilliant reply, Jose! Permission to plagiarise

José, may I save it for a future would-be project?

[Edited at 2014-04-23 17:01 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Use it whenever you like Apr 23, 2014

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Joanna Carroll wrote:

Just a quick note to say this was a brilliant reply, Jose! Permission to plagiarise

José, may I save for a future would-be project?

... however get ready to never hear from them again.
(It would be a waste of time anyway.)

Pity their end-clients.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few thoughts Apr 23, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

is that a quick research on Google showed some surprising results… (http://www.lackuna.com/2012/03/19/the-magic-of-proz-com/

There are two points in the article that I found especially interesting:

In the beginning, I didn’t have anything, but HTML skills.

...and...

Any reliance on freelance vendors is difficult. It shouldn’t be that way. At least in translation industry where tasks are simple and easy understood: just translate this piece from language A to language B.

The latter is a logical consequence of the former. Yet another adventurer who was smart enough to make business by starting a "translation agency" upon the assumption that the translation profession is just about "translating this piece from language A to language B".

Yes, translators do complain, especially if they are not paid for their work. How impertinent!

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good answer, Jose! Apr 23, 2014

I've received "offers" like this occasionally too, and felt like writing a similar reply.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 26, 2014

Thank you all for your comments so far and a special thanks to Giles for reminding us of Tom Sawyer, and to José for sharing the private story about his father.

Getting back on topic, I thought mine - as translator and supporter of this site - was a legitimate question that deserved an answer or an explanation from the staff, which instead decided to ignore it and swipe the issue under the rug so to speak.

As they say, sometimes silence can be very eloquent…
<
... See more
Thank you all for your comments so far and a special thanks to Giles for reminding us of Tom Sawyer, and to José for sharing the private story about his father.

Getting back on topic, I thought mine - as translator and supporter of this site - was a legitimate question that deserved an answer or an explanation from the staff, which instead decided to ignore it and swipe the issue under the rug so to speak.

As they say, sometimes silence can be very eloquent…

[Edited at 2014-04-26 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is Proz.com supporting free human translation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »