Myroslava Nevirkovets
Myroslava Nevirkovets  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:50
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 16, 2013

I have several documents for translation, each with an apostille.
I wonder, is there any standard for charging such translation? What would you apply (word count, treat a document with apostille as two separate documents etc.)?
Thank you!

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. Apositlles are really a sort of trouble Dec 16, 2013

because you have to go to the County Clerk's Office or send someone there and waste like half a day. You could do it by mail too, but then the chances are that the documents will get lost, or put on a file of documents to be processed for two weeks, so the whole process may take up to a month, if you are lucky.

I personally charge $150 for the first Apostille and $50 for any additional one from the same person, submitted at the time. Most people I know charge $125-200 for Apostill
... See more
because you have to go to the County Clerk's Office or send someone there and waste like half a day. You could do it by mail too, but then the chances are that the documents will get lost, or put on a file of documents to be processed for two weeks, so the whole process may take up to a month, if you are lucky.

I personally charge $150 for the first Apostille and $50 for any additional one from the same person, submitted at the time. Most people I know charge $125-200 for Apostilles. The office fees are about $12 for each notarized page -- the fees that the County Clerk and the Department of State charge. You have to submitt money orders or pay them at the County Clerk's Office.

These are the fees charged in the US. I have no idea what's going on in any other country.I think in certain European countries an Apostille might not be good enough -- you need certified translators only.

[Edited at 2013-12-16 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

Myroslava Nevirkovets
Ukraine
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
U mean document price plus the 150$? Dec 16, 2013

Thanks for reply, LilianBNekipelo!
So do you charge your normal price for the document itself plus 150$ for the apostille? Or is it a total price for a translated document with apostile?

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:50
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apostille translation in Germany Dec 16, 2013

I had to do a lot of apostille translations together with birth certificates and similar things.
But it is not me who has to get the apostille.
The translation customer hands out his certificate AND the apostille to me for translation.
I do the translation for my (normal word rate/line rate or) lumpsum rate whichever I think is useful.
And that's it.
So, in most cases it is one page with the certificate and one page with the apostille.

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
Part of a doc Dec 16, 2013

Hi,
I understand you ask about translation of the apostille?
I usually treat them as a part of a document and apply a flat rate for translation of that document depending on the length of the whole doc.
Regards,

Myroslava Nevirkovets
Ukraine
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, i translate both Dec 17, 2013

I was probably not too clear about what I translate, sorry)) I translate both, so I wondered how to charge it: as 2 documents, 1 or maybe 1,5 or sth?

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Of course. The fee for the document plus $125-150 in NY Dec 17, 2013

M.Nevirkovets wrote:

Thanks for reply, LilianBNekipelo!
So do you charge your normal price for the document itself plus 150$ for the apostille? Or is it a total price for a translated document with apostile?

The document may have eight pages, just as an example. So you charge for the eight pages, something like $320 plus $150 for the Apostille if they need it within a few days, not within a month or two. Then ,you can mail all the papers and wait, charging them less, but this process is slightly risky.

How much you charge -- it all depends what an Apostille involves in your country. In New York you have to waste at least half a day to obtain it, or to send an employee who would spend the whole day doing just that, so it has to cost about $150. In other places it might be worth $20 plus the fees.

How do you obtain Apostilles in Ukraine? How much are the filing fees?

[Edited at 2013-12-17 10:10 GMT]

Myroslava Nevirkovets
Ukraine
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apostille translating vs. obtaining Dec 17, 2013

As to obtaining apostille in Ukraine, this costs app. 20-100$, depending on urgency and type of the document. Apostilles are obtained from the corresponding Ministries directly or through firms - mediators.
But in my case, I had a document alreading having an apostille, and I just had to translate the entire document. So I wondered how much to charge for translating the text of apostille compared to the document itself.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Apostille format is standard... Dec 17, 2013

M.Nevirkovets wrote:

As to obtaining apostille in Ukraine, this costs app. 20-100$, depending on urgency and type of the document. Apostilles are obtained from the corresponding Ministries directly or through firms - mediators.
But in my case, I had a document alreading having an apostille, and I just had to translate the entire document. So I wondered how much to charge for translating the text of apostille compared to the document itself.

An Apostille in the standard format, set out in the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961, contains perhaps 100 words, plus the wording in any seals, if legible. Does that help?

Myroslava Nevirkovets
Ukraine
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a real document Dec 17, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

An Apostille in the standard format, set out in the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961, contains perhaps 100 words, plus the wording in any seals, if legible. Does that help?

Yes, so it's not a real document by itself. But taking into consideration, that in my case the translations have to be taken to the notary to have my signature certifiied, therefore more time will be spent, it should be charged as another document. Otherwise I'd charge something like 1+0,5 for a document with apostile.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
The same. Dec 17, 2013

M.Nevirkovets wrote:

Whatever you charge per word, or per page -- the same. If you have to have your signature notarized you can add the notary fee ($2 in the US) plus the time you spent going there -- usually like extra $15-25.

[Edited at 2013-12-17 13:15 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
notary fee? Dec 17, 2013

US public notaries are not allowed to charge a fee for notarizing a signature. In NY State, at least.

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

If you have to have your signature notarized you can add the notary fee ($2 in the US) plus the time you spent going there -- usually like extra $15-25.

Myroslava Nevirkovets
Ukraine
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ukrainian notaries are expensive!!) Dec 17, 2013

JL01 wrote:

US public notaries are not allowed to charge a fee for notarizing a signature. In NY State, at least.

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

If you have to have your signature notarized you can add the notary fee ($2 in the US) plus the time you spent going there -- usually like extra $15-25.

As I'm in Ukraine, the situation is slightly different. Notaries public are not really numerous, most of the notaries are private, as called here. And they normally charge 5-6 USD for notarizing a translator's signature.
In the US rules probably vary a bit from state to state

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
True, but... Dec 17, 2013

most do expect a gratuity.

JL01 wrote:

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Notary fees depend on the state Dec 17, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

most do expect a gratuity.

JL01 wrote:

Depends on the state. In any case, where there's a fee at all, it's usually nominal, 1 or 2 USD.
@Jeff - Interesting info about the gratuity - I hadn't heard that, but I've only ever dealt with notaries at my own (previous) or my wife's place of work, so that discussion never came up. I've never heard of anyone just doing notarial work and nothing else for a living - in most cases they are employed in another capacity (employee in a legal office, bank employee, clerk in company, etc.) and are provided with their materials and renewal costs to use their stamp primarily for their employer's needs. It would seem odd to me to tip a notary if I am already paying their employer for the primary service involved (or regularly use their service on other occasions), though if they're a "freelancer", I suppose I can see the point. But I digress...

Actually, I'm surprised translators offer Apostille-fetching services at all, considering that they are 1) a huge hassle, 2) primarily a clerical function and unrelated to the translation, and 3) something the client can do themselves.

[Edited at 2013-12-17 18:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging appostille translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »