Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Trying not to panic - I have overwritten 3 days of hard work with the original source!
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 5, 2017

I am working on an online memoQ project for a client, and it's the first time I've used this tool.

I accidentally entered a key combination that copied over the source text for 1500 segments and then synchronized it with the server. Pretty impressive mistake.

I had regularly synchronized versions of my translation before, but I had not confirmed the majority of the segments.

My questions are:

Will my client be able to restore one of my previou
... See more
I am working on an online memoQ project for a client, and it's the first time I've used this tool.

I accidentally entered a key combination that copied over the source text for 1500 segments and then synchronized it with the server. Pretty impressive mistake.

I had regularly synchronized versions of my translation before, but I had not confirmed the majority of the segments.

My questions are:

Will my client be able to restore one of my previous versions?
If so, will this include segments that I had translated but not confirmed?
Edited to add: will there be a local file on my PC somewhere that I can use?

Thanks,

Joanne

[Edited at 2017-01-05 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:29
English to Russian
+ ...
ocerwrite problem Jan 5, 2017

I have never used online synchro, but I guess that unfortunatelly you have lost your work.
I think that:
1. You exchanged target with source segments and then confirmed them. That has killed translated segments.
2. If only you were working in recreated project then you could have Translation memory that could save you. But if you were working in your original project and file - is would be very sad but the chanses are that all your segments were changed.
3. The last hope
... See more
I have never used online synchro, but I guess that unfortunatelly you have lost your work.
I think that:
1. You exchanged target with source segments and then confirmed them. That has killed translated segments.
2. If only you were working in recreated project then you could have Translation memory that could save you. But if you were working in your original project and file - is would be very sad but the chanses are that all your segments were changed.
3. The last hope is that the server makes some backups. Or your client has downloaded unfinished work to look through. Maybe then you could use it.

I have deleted 3 months of TB. It tears me apart too. Maybe this will show you that you are not alone.

P.S. I assume that you pressed the following combinations: Ctrl+Shift+A --> Ctrl+Shift+S --> Ctrl+Enter? Maybe you should try Ctrl+Z instantly? Or it failed to cancel the last steps?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hm... Not sure it is recoverable... Jan 5, 2017

This is probably a situation to call Kilgray for help, but to me it sounds like the previous contents before the last update is not recoverable unless you worked on a different stage (Translator / Reviewer 1 / Reviewer 2) or a snapshot of the file was made before you made the last update.

It would be good to discuss this with the customer's memoQ Server person to see whether they have a previous stage you can revert to. If there was a previous stage or a snapshot, the project will c
... See more
This is probably a situation to call Kilgray for help, but to me it sounds like the previous contents before the last update is not recoverable unless you worked on a different stage (Translator / Reviewer 1 / Reviewer 2) or a snapshot of the file was made before you made the last update.

It would be good to discuss this with the customer's memoQ Server person to see whether they have a previous stage you can revert to. If there was a previous stage or a snapshot, the project will contains segments from the previous stage still translated.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
There is hope Jan 5, 2017

I had the same problem last week and lost about six hours of work. But the MemoQ support of the agency saved the day. They were able to rebuild my work from the TM. I believe they restored the project from an older backup and then populated all segments from the TM which still contained all my translations. Or something like that.

The killer combo is Ctrl-Shift-A and then Ctrl-Shift-S. Can happen easily because both keys are next to each other. I think Ctrl-Shift-S should issue a wa
... See more
I had the same problem last week and lost about six hours of work. But the MemoQ support of the agency saved the day. They were able to rebuild my work from the TM. I believe they restored the project from an older backup and then populated all segments from the TM which still contained all my translations. Or something like that.

The killer combo is Ctrl-Shift-A and then Ctrl-Shift-S. Can happen easily because both keys are next to each other. I think Ctrl-Shift-S should issue a warning whenever more than one segment is selected.
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No hope Jan 5, 2017

My client tells me the work is not recoverable.

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation from MEMoQ Jan 5, 2017

Dear Joanne,

Thank you for contacting us.

If you didn't confirmed your translation and saved into the TM, unfortunately you lost your translation.

Best regards!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Moral Jan 5, 2017

Joanne Parker wrote:

My questions are:

Will my client be able to restore one of my previous versions?
If so, will this include segments that I had translated but not confirmed?
Edited to add: will there be a local file on my PC somewhere that I can use?

Thanks,

Joanne

[Edited at 2017-01-05 14:19 GMT]

MORAL: never work on the originals of files. Make copies first.

Fortunately I don't work with online systems, so the originals of the files remain with me. I receive them as email attachments, so if anything really bad happens I just download the attachment again.

Your experience working with an online translating system does nothing to convince me that I should use these systems !

[Edited at 2017-01-05 16:25 GMT]

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First and last time Jan 5, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Your experience working with an online translating system does nothing to convince me that I should use these systems !

[Edited at 2017-01-05 15:41 GMT]

Well exactly.

I can't believe that there's no way of backing up the work. Happy to be told otherwise, since I now have to restart work on 1,500 segments...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both the file and the TM are updated... Jan 5, 2017

Whenever you confirm a segment, both the local file and the memory are updated. Depending on how the project was configured in memoQ (online documents or offline documents), your update or delivery operation updates everything on the server.

I totally support the idea that memoQ would warn you before overwriting a high number of segments with the source text.

One thing I do systematically, and which would have helped a lot in this case, is to make a bilingual export in
... See more
Whenever you confirm a segment, both the local file and the memory are updated. Depending on how the project was configured in memoQ (online documents or offline documents), your update or delivery operation updates everything on the server.

I totally support the idea that memoQ would warn you before overwriting a high number of segments with the source text.

One thing I do systematically, and which would have helped a lot in this case, is to make a bilingual export in RTF format of the file for spellchecking (select the file, then choose Export (bilingual)). This allows me to run grammar check in Word, and not only spellchecking as inside memoQ. Such bilingual export, which I think is possible always, would have allowed you to reimport everything from an external file stored locally on your computer.
Collapse

Mateus Gomes

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
See change history Jan 5, 2017

Please go to View Pane > Review, and click "Show changes in editor." You may be able to see the overwritten translation even after the source was copied.

If so, go back to the first segment, select the source with the cursor, and press Control + Shift + End (all the segments are selected). Then, right-click and select "Revert to Earlier Version."

I hope this will help.

Mateus Gomes

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:29
German to English
+ ...
I have made it a rule Jan 5, 2017

to confirm any translated segment without exceptions and export a bilingual RTF file of every translation done on a client's server. It can help in a variety of situations.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
Romanian to English
+ ...
Undo? Jan 5, 2017

This may sound stupid, but the Undo button may solve the issue, assuming that you didn't close the file after the accident happened.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Agree Jan 5, 2017

Joanne Parker wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Your experience working with an online translating system does nothing to convince me that I should use these systems!

Well exactly.

I can't believe that there's no way of backing up the work. Happy to be told otherwise, since I now have to restart work on 1,500 segments...

Received such an online project recently. Took it offline (by exporting as MQXLIFF), just because of the reasons mentioned here (and many productivity reasons).

Client didn't agree, took back the project when I had finished it for 50 % (payment was no problem). I've decided to not accept any memoQ online projects anymore. Just too much hassle.

memoQ online projects are probably fine when you are a (big) memoQ fan. If not, you'll probably want to edit them in your own translation environment. After all, that's why MQXLIFF was invented: interoperability. In my opinion, online projects and interoperability are conflicting concepts.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confirm each segment as you go Jan 5, 2017

I agree that it is best to confirm each segment as you go, as opposed to confirming blocks of segments. This confirming each segment might be slow depending on the customer's server and connection, though.

Depending on the keyboard, the default shortcut (Ctrl+Enter) is not very convenient and might require you to use two hands, so I have changed the default to Alt+A, much more convenient with a QWERTY keyboard, in my opinion.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
always use a project TM and regularly check its content Jan 5, 2017

I suppose another way would be to use a project TM (that is, in addition to the online TM of your client), and set it to retain duplicates, so that if you mistakenly mess up all of your segments, your previous segments would still be saved somewhere.

Of course, it would also be great if all CAT tools had a proper (unlimited) Undo system (Ctrl+Z).

Michael

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying not to panic - I have overwritten 3 days of hard work with the original source!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »