Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Trying not to panic - I have overwritten 3 days of hard work with the original source!
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Jan 6, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:
My question relates to this scenario: 1. You do a translation in MemoQ. 2. You then export the RTF file. 3. You then edit your translation in MemoQ (not in the RTF file). 4 You change you mind, and you wish to import the RTF file, thereby overwriting anything that you did in MemoQ since you've exported the RTF file. Will MemoQ allow such an import?

Yes, indeed, memoQ will take the translations from the RTF, independently of the status of the file in memoQ. I have had this need in the past and it worked nicely.

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Yes and YES again! Jan 6, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I have had this need in the past and it worked nicely.

Isn't that great? I thought I answered quite clearly that a RTF file can be imported in MemoQ without any fuss or headache. Regardless of any scenarios, the fact remains: it can be done, and I absolutely love it!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:22
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Single upload for multiple files Jan 6, 2017

MultiPro wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I have had this need in the past and it worked nicely.

Isn't that great? I thought I answered quite clearly that a RTF file can be imported in MemoQ without any fuss or headache. Regardless of any scenarios, the fact remains: it can be done, and I absolutely love it!

What I also love about this feature is that multiple work files can be combined in a single RTF file. When I have a job with multiple documents I will export the whole job as a single RTF file combining all the documents in one, proofread it and make edits to the RTF file, and then upload the RTF in a single operation. The edits propagate throughout all the documents of the job at once, with only a single upload.

[Edited at 2017-01-06 20:34 GMT]

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Glueing Multiple Documents in Views Jan 7, 2017

John Fossey wrote:
What I also love about this feature is that multiple work files can be combined in a single RTF file. When I have a job with multiple documents I will export the whole job as a single RTF file combining all the documents in one, proofread it and make edits to the RTF file, and then upload the RTF in a single operation. The edits propagate throughout all the documents of the job at once, with only a single upload.

When I receive multiple files as part of a project, I create a new project in MemoQ then I immediately combine them by creating a single View for the translation. That allows me to work on all the files at once. This feature of combining multiple files into a single workable View comes in very handy when there are repeated words, phrases or segments in all of them. When creating a View, I always choose the first option of 'Simply glue documents together' instead of extracting repetitions or choosing rows of different status (Confirmed - Unconfirmed - Pre-translated- Not Started - Locked - Unlocked) etc. I just prefer this simple and convenient option. I then proceed to export the single view as a RTF file to work from a different workstation or workplace, on the go, or at my leisure. Afterwards, I reimport it into my project so my RTF changes and reviews can be updated and included into the final MemoQ TM.
Awesome!

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Question about glueing Jan 7, 2017

I am interested in this option, as I have been receiving some large projects lately, spread over multiple files.

Just a few questions: what is the added benefit of having all text in one file in regards to repetitions, compared to working in multiple files? How will memoQ recognise repetitions without confirming segments?

And how do you 'unglue' the final version, or does this happen automatically when exporting?

PS sorry for going more and more off-topic
... See more
I am interested in this option, as I have been receiving some large projects lately, spread over multiple files.

Just a few questions: what is the added benefit of having all text in one file in regards to repetitions, compared to working in multiple files? How will memoQ recognise repetitions without confirming segments?

And how do you 'unglue' the final version, or does this happen automatically when exporting?

PS sorry for going more and more off-topic - I do feel for the topic starter, wishing you all the best in redoing your work, Joanne!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It happens automatically Jan 8, 2017

Natasha Ziada wrote:
What is the added benefit of having all text in one file in regards to repetitions, compared to working in multiple files?

I only use these RTF exported files for spellchecking and grammar checking. Occasionally, as a way to send out the text to a reviser or reviewer who does not use memoQ, or to translators in other language pairs who do not have a CAT tool (or not a CAT tool that takes XLIFF files).

Natasha Ziada wrote:
How will memoQ recognise repetitions without confirming segments?

memoQ grabs each entry from the RTF file and overwrites the one in the memoQ project. It does not process autopropagation at that moment. It will do autopropagation again if you have it enabled and work on the file from the translation grid again.

Natasha Ziada wrote:And how do you 'unglue' the final version, or does this happen automatically when exporting?

The RTF file contains sections for each of the files, so you can import one single RTF file and it will update all affected files automatically. If you produced the RTF file while working on a view (i.e. a selection of segments, like from segment N to segment M, or only repetitions, or no repetitions... there are many options available when creating views), the RTF file will only contain those segments in the view.

I hope this answers your questions!

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
@Tomás Jan 9, 2017

Thanks for the clarification. As a fairly new user of memoQ (and CAT tools in general) I will have to play around a bit more with the functionalities.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:22
German to English
+ ...
You CAN back up your work Jan 11, 2017

Joanne Parker wrote:
I can't believe that there's no way of backing up the work. Happy to be told otherwise, since I now have to restart work on 1,500 segments...

Not sure if anyone replied to this point already, as I haven't read all three pages of this thread. But anyway, there is a way to back up your work. And I was VERY happy to have done it in the last "group-share" server-based MemoQ job I did. As my final step before synchronizing for the last time and delivering the job, I saved a local copy of the files. I can't remember how I did it though, and I can't find the option now -- I think I exported a bilingual version or active version or something.

It was a relief to have the files as a backup when the client came back to me and said that they didn't have my translation because when it synchronized the files it completely reverted the files back to their original state. While the translation was in the TM, it was one of those fiddly jobs that really couldn't just be automatically translated from the TM, so I think all parties were relieved when I sent through local copies of the final files with translations firmly in place!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Disable/Remap Jan 11, 2017

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

For what it's worth, I just went into the options of MemoQ and simply removed the Ctrl-Shift-A shortcut. It can do too much damage and if ever needed there are other ways to select all segments.

Indeed. That, or remap Ctrl-Shift-S to something else (in my case Ctrl-Shift-V), to keep it FAR from Ctrl-Shift-A. Not sure why Kilgray decided to map 2 functions that combined together have a potentially disastrous effect so close one to the other...

Manually backing up your work can't really protect you from unforeseen events that may happen while you're working, unless you do that every 5 minutes...

aha
aha  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Might still be recoverable Jan 15, 2017

The same thing just happened to me for the second time within the same large project. The second time, I found out that it happens when you hit Ctrl+Shift+A instead of Ctrl+Shift+S, which is very easy to do and apparently impossible to undo. The first time, my client wrote back, "I am working on fixing it now, it’s all in the TM luckily." So maybe your client wasn't aware that they could fix it for you? I am seriously considering refusing online memoQ projects in future because of this.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
change shortcuts Jan 15, 2017

Anna Haxen wrote:
I am seriously considering refusing online memoQ projects in future because of this.

Why don't you just change the shortcuts if you don't like them?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying not to panic - I have overwritten 3 days of hard work with the original source!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »