Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Trying not to panic - I have overwritten 3 days of hard work with the original source!
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 21:58
The CAT you use Jan 5, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Of course, it would also be great if all CAT tools had a proper (unlimited) Undo system (Ctrl+Z).

Michael

All CAT tools? Why not make this 'your preferred CAT tool'?

After all this is the memoQ forum.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
dare to dream Jan 5, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Of course, it would also be great if all CAT tools had a proper (unlimited) Undo system (Ctrl+Z).

Michael

All CAT tools? Why not make this 'your preferred CAT tool'?

After all this is the memoQ forum.

cat-god-lightening

Every CAT tool, hell, every program, period, should have an unlimited Undo feature, capable of undoing EVERYTHING, even across sessions. After all, it's already 2017!

Incidentally, I wonder if having all of your memoQ project, etc. files stored in a Windows File History* location would have made it possible to undo this. Same applies to Dropbox, but Dropbox is known to cause problems, whereas File History works flawlessly on open files.

* basically the new Mac "Time Machine" for Windows, which I use all the time and which has saved me on countless occasions already.

[Edited at 2017-01-05 19:18 GMT]

Craig Thomas Smith

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:58
German to English
+ ...
After you have delivered the file, Jan 5, 2017

no editing is possible including Undo.

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No help Jan 5, 2017

MaxOO wrote:

Please go to View Pane > Review, and click "Show changes in editor." You may be able to see the overwritten translation even after the source was copied.

If so, go back to the first segment, select the source with the cursor, and press Control + Shift + End (all the segments are selected). Then, right-click and select "Revert to Earlier Version."

I hope this will help.

We tried this (my client and I) - unfortunately no versions were kept.

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was too late Jan 5, 2017

Annamaria Amik wrote:

This may sound stupid, but the Undo button may solve the issue, assuming that you didn't close the file after the accident happened.

Unfortunately the project either synched automatically, or somehow I managed to press a key combination that automatically transferred all segments over and then synchronized the project!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:58
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Working online Jan 5, 2017

Perhaps this will help convince the client that it's not worth requiring translators to sync their work online in real time. It slows the work down and supposedly benefits the client, but there is evidently a risk with there being no live copy (and version history) on the translator's computer.

What I sometimes do is work without connecting to the client's server, with all the work going into a local TM, then at the end of the job connecting and updating the server TM from the loca
... See more
Perhaps this will help convince the client that it's not worth requiring translators to sync their work online in real time. It slows the work down and supposedly benefits the client, but there is evidently a risk with there being no live copy (and version history) on the translator's computer.

What I sometimes do is work without connecting to the client's server, with all the work going into a local TM, then at the end of the job connecting and updating the server TM from the local TM, all at once. For one thing, I will inevitably make corrections and changes at the end of the job and don't want the client to view my typos or initial choices of translations, which will inevitably be corrected before I am ready to deliver the job.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Joanne Jan 5, 2017

Joanne Parker wrote:
I had regularly synchronized versions of my translation before, but I had not confirmed the majority of the segments.

How do you do that? I thought the only way to synchronise a segment with the server is to confirm the segment. I mean, that's what I always do: I do the translation, and when I'm done, I mark all segments as "confirmed" and then MemoQ puts them on the server for me. Or not?

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel and John Jan 5, 2017

@ John, this is precisely how I work - I don't like to commit translations to a TM unless I am 100% satisfied with them.

@ Samuel, I manually synchronized the file as I translated, and mistakenly thought this would save both confirmed and unconfirmed segments on their server somewhere.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
At least disable Ctrl-Shift-A now Jan 5, 2017

For what it's worth, I just went into the options of MemoQ and simply removed the Ctrl-Shift-A shortcut. It can do too much damage and if ever needed there are other ways to select all segments.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
One could easily lose work in similar ways, with or without the use of online CAT tools Jan 5, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

MORAL: never work on the originals of files. Make copies first.

Fortunately I don't work with online systems, so the originals of the files remain with me. I receive them as email attachments, so if anything really bad happens I just download the attachment again.

Your experience working with an online translating system does nothing to convince me that I should use these systems !

That is sensible advice, but it only protects you from losing the originals. You could still lose your translation... and that is regardless of whether or not you use CAT tools.

[Edited at 2017-01-06 15:26 GMT]

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Row History? Jan 6, 2017

I am myself new to memoQ and am not familiar with all of its features, but maybe the history button could help you. When I recently had 6 segments disappear for no discernible reason, I looked at the "row history" for each one and found my translations, which I was then able to copy and paste back into the empty fields.

I really feel for you, though. That is a terrible thing to have happen.

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:58
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
My Experience Working with Clients' Online MemoQ Server Jan 6, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:
How do you do that? I thought the only way to synchronise a segment with the server is to confirm the segment. I mean, that's what I always do: I do the translation, and when I'm done, I mark all segments as "confirmed" and then MemoQ puts them on the server for me. Or not?

To answer your question, NO. Confirming segments in the translation panel does not sync automatically with the server. You will have to click on the Synchronize or the Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 11.56.28 PM Publish on Server (memoQ 2014 R2) button on the menu bar to do so. I have a long-time client who started using their MemoQ online server last year. If they provide me with a TB or TM, I use it online. I usually confirm translated segments immediately if no doubt subsists or no research is needed.
But I only sync my translation work with their server only and only after I thoroughly reviewed my translations and am sure that my work is final.

Like others pointed out, I also export a bilingual .rtf file of my translation, out of personal habit and convenience. It gives me the opportunity to read my translation with fresh eyes, from a printout copy or from an accessible copy on my G-Drive. The bilingual format (with the original and the translation, side by side), is also very convenient and useful for quick review. It is different from the side-by-side layout in the memoQ platform. I also do it because I can make all my corrections in it on the go to speed up the translation process. Once I finish, I reimport it as a reviewed file and update my TM and initial translation segments in memoQ with the new changes. In a way, the bilingual exported file is a very useful backup strategy as well.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@MultiPro Jan 6, 2017

MultiPro wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
How do you do that? I thought the only way to synchronise a segment with the server is to confirm the segment. I mean, that's what I always do: I do the translation, and when I'm done, I mark all segments as "confirmed" and then MemoQ puts them on the server for me.

Confirming segments in the translation panel does not sync automatically with the server. You will have to click on the Synchronize ... button on the menu bar to do so.

Well, I have used that link/button, and as soon as I confirm my segments, I tell the client that I'm done, and they check the translation and thank me for it. If I forgot to "confirm" a segment, the client tells me that it is not translated. I'm talking specifically about projects that I check out via a server in MemoQ.

Like others pointed out, I also export a bilingual .rtf file of my translation, out of personal habit and convenience.

The original poster lost work in mid-project, so unless she exported RTF files regularly (as a back-up), this advice would not apply to her situation, I think. But here's a question: In Trados, you can't import a bilingual DOCX file if you have made any edits to the project in Trados after you've exported the DOCX file, so... does MemoQ allow you to do that after all? If you continue working on the project in MemoQ after you've exported that bilingual RTF file, can you still import segments from that RTF file?

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:58
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jan 6, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

[ But here's a question: In Trados, you can't import a bilingual DOCX file if you have made any edits to the project in Trados after you've exported the DOCX file, so... does MemoQ allow you to do that after all? If you continue working on the project in MemoQ after you've exported that bilingual RTF file, can you still import segments from that RTF file?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking whether I can import updated/revised segments from the RTF file back into the memoQ Project. If so, it is a resounding YES! and one of the reasons why I purchased 4 or 5 versions of memoQ so far! I absolutely love this feature. When you import the RTF file, right click on it to select Import Reviewed Document from the Drop Down Menu. Then you will see all updated segments with the blue symbol.
It is a breeze and an absolute joy for me when I see all my changes updated automatically!!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@MultiPro Jan 6, 2017

MultiPro wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
In Trados, you can't import a bilingual DOCX file if you have made any edits to the project in Trados after you've exported the DOCX file, so... does MemoQ allow you to do that after all? If you continue working on the project in MemoQ after you've exported that bilingual RTF file, can you still import segments from that RTF file?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking whether I can import updated/revised segments from the RTF file back into the memoQ Project.

No, that is not my question. My question relates to this scenario: 1. You do a translation in MemoQ. 2. You then export the RTF file. 3. You then edit your translation in MemoQ (not in the RTF file). 4 You change you mind, and you wish to import the RTF file, thereby overwriting anything that you did in MemoQ since you've exported the RTF file. Will MemoQ allow such an import? Wordfast Pro 3 does. Trados doesn't. Trados only allows inporting the bilingual review file if no additional changes were made in Trados itself since the bilingual review file was exported.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying not to panic - I have overwritten 3 days of hard work with the original source!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »