Will MemoQ import an exported RTF without mqInternal style?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 26, 2015

Hello everyone

I often get MemoQ exported RTF files in which the tags are marked ast {MQ} with the mqInternal style. However, often when I paste content into such files, the tags' style gets changed (something odd MS Word does), e.g. to tw4winExternal. In addition, I sometimes paste content with the tags in tw4winInternal style. Whenever I work with such RTF files, my final act is to use find/replace to change the tags back to mqInternal style.

Now my question is: wh
... See more
Hello everyone

I often get MemoQ exported RTF files in which the tags are marked ast {MQ} with the mqInternal style. However, often when I paste content into such files, the tags' style gets changed (something odd MS Word does), e.g. to tw4winExternal. In addition, I sometimes paste content with the tags in tw4winInternal style. Whenever I work with such RTF files, my final act is to use find/replace to change the tags back to mqInternal style.

Now my question is: what will MemoQ do when it tries to import that RTF file, if the tags are not in mqInternal style but in some other style (either unstyled or in one of the tw4win styles)? I.e. how tolerant is MemoQ of changes to the RTF file?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:15
Finnish to French
mqInternal Mar 27, 2015

First of all, note that the mqInternal style found in the RTF exported from memoQ is optional (though it is the default). Here are the settings available to you when exporting a document to RTF in memoQ:

Now if tags are formatted as mqInternal in your RTF, they must be found formatted as mqInternal when importing back into memoQ.

If you have formatted them as tw4winInternal, memoQ will import the RTF with a warning, the tags will be found in the memoQ editor and they will even look OK, but you won't be able to export the translated document.

OTOH, if the RTF was exported with Format tags with the "mqInternal" style unticked, you can add your tw4winInternal style to the style-less tags in Word, you can even leave it there if you want, memoQ won't mind when reimporting the RTF and you will be able to export your translated document.

So if you intend to use the RTF as a way to translate outside memoQ, you should probably request it without the mqInternal style, provided you have a way of your own to deal with the tags.

Also note that not all tags from memoQ look like {MQ}. Tags may also look like [1} {2], [3} {4] etc.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Mar 27, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
If you have formatted them as tw4winInternal, memoQ will import the RTF with a warning, the tags will be found in the memoQ editor and they will even look OK, but you won't be able to export the translated document.

That is very good to know.

So if you intend to use the RTF as a way to translate outside memoQ, you should probably request it without the mqInternal style, provided you have a way of your own to deal with the tags.

I'm generally the 2nd, 3rd or 4th person to get the file, so I don't have much say in the matter.

It just bugged me a bit. An odd thing happens when I copy text from a file that had tw4win style in it, into the TL column of the MemoQ RTF file: alll the tags in the SL column instantly change to tw4win*Ex*ternal. Then I have to change them back again. And it irks me that "m" is in the middle of the alphabet, which means that the mqInternal style is in the middle of the list of styles in MS Word's F/R dialog, which takes a bit of time to scroll to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will MemoQ import an exported RTF without mqInternal style?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »